OSU Post Game Thread

Huntnfreak

9 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Dakich is ripping the staff big time.

Sour grapes...Dan's right about one thing...as IU's coach, he wasn't good enough...

The difference between us and Illinois is Trent Frazier. The difference between us and Purdue is Jaden Ivey. The difference between us and Wisconsin is Johnny Davis. The difference between us and Ohio State last night was Malaki Branham. Those teams the after time go to those players and get good play down the stretch...

We don't have that...yet...

Our best player is a post-up guy that's not going to be able to create anything outside the block. 

I'm as tired of waiting for IU basketball to be great again as anybody...but jumping ship on this coach is wayyyy premature...

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Dakich is ripping the staff big time.

Imagine the worst member of HoosierSportsNation being paid to talk. That’s Dan Dakich. He’s that family member you invite to Thanksgiving cause they’re family and all they do is start fights.
When we talk about issues finding coaches because of fan behavior Dan Dakich has a lot to do with that.  

Edited by SawatchHoosier
  • Like 4

Just now, IUFLA said:

Sour grapes...Dan's right about one thing...as IU's coach, he wasn't good enough...

The difference between us and Illinois is Trent Frazier. The difference between us and Purdue is Jaden Ivey. The difference between us and Wisconsin is Johnny Davis. The difference between us and Ohio State last night was Malaki Branham. Those teams the after time go to those players and get good play down the stretch...

We don't have that...yet...

Our best player is a post-up guy that's not going to be able to create anything outside the block. 

I'm as tired of waiting for IU basketball to be great again as anybody...but jumping ship on this coach is wayyyy premature...

It has always been about Jonny's and Joes but we did not make adjustments that we should have made down the stretch. Miller Kopp MIA forever gets it rolling makes a turnover comes out never goes back in. Parker Stewart beat 88 straight times to the right side every single time no adjustment, no double no trap no hey lets get the ball out of the hands of the guy kiling us. Ball goes to TJD in the only spot that he can get it and do anything with with it and 4 guys stand and wait for the double to come so he can figure out who to pass it to. Heaven forbid a basketcut a back cut maybe a pin down screen and post. Nope stand and wait. Or we just let our guards dribble out the shot clock and chuck up a bad 3. with 5 seconds left lets walk it up. My high school kids I coached know better than this but its allowed so it keeps happening. . Certain players are held accountable and others not. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

That is correct but his criticism of last night is pretty spot on. 

Yeah, he hit on some things that I have thought were worrisome but trying to give benefit of the doubt...but yeah, this does not seem to be much better than what we had and I don't buy into the idea that the pieces we added are not better or should not have made this team better.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

It has always been about Jonny's and Joes but we did not make adjustments that we should have made down the stretch. Miller Kopp MIA forever gets it rolling makes a turnover comes out never goes back in. Parker Stewart beat 88 straight times to the right side every single time no adjustment, no double no trap no hey lets get the ball out of the hands of the guy kiling us. Ball goes to TJD in the only spot that he can get it and do anything with with it and 4 guys stand and wait for the double to come so he can figure out who to pass it to. Heaven forbid a basketcut a back cut maybe a pin down screen and post. Nope stand and wait. Or we just let our guards dribble out the shot clock and chuck up a bad 3. with 5 seconds left lets walk it up. My high school kids I coached know better than this but its allowed so it keeps happening. . Certain players are held accountable and others not. 

I can't speak to that, but when Ohio State was down, was there an adjustment Holtmann made? 

Like I said, I don't know the finer points of coaching, and I've always liked your analysis of the Xs and Os...

But I watch a lot of Big 10 basketball and it seems to me that the coaches of the top teams rely more on getting it into the hands of their playmaker at crunch time and letting them make a play...

Or am I wrong on that?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

I can't speak to that, but when Ohio State was down, was there an adjustment Holtmann made? 

Like I said, I don't know the finer points of coaching, and I've always liked your analysis of the Xs and Os...

But I watch a lot of Big 10 basketball and it seems to me that the coaches of the top teams rely more on getting it into the hands of their playmaker at crunch time and letting them make a play...

Or am I wrong on that?

100 percent agree and that is what Holtman did put it in Branham's hands and let him make plays by scoring or by drawing in Johnson too far to kick out for an open 3. Who is our best player. A post player and we don't run offense through him we pass to him and stand. Thats what I see. Johnson could be that guy but how many forced shots near the rim does he throw up and miss wildly. When you have a good post player and know the double is coming you have to have some sort of back side action to deter the double from the weakside. The longer you delay the better chance TJD has to be able to go to work and not just back down dribble wait for the double to kick to crappy shooters. That is not offense to me in any sense of the definition. 

We need a playmaking guard that is for sure

• Like 2

Just now, Billingsley99 said:

100 percent agree and that is what Holtman did put it in Branham's hands and let him make plays by scoring or by drawing in Johnson too far to kick out for an open 3. Who is our best player. A post player and we don't run offense through him we pass to him and stand. Thats what I see. Johnson could be that guy but how many forced shots near the rim does he throw up and miss wildly. When you have a good post player and know the double is coming you have to have some sort of back side action to deter the double from the weakside. The longer you delay the better chance TJD has to be able to go to work and not just back down dribble wait for the double to kick to crappy shooters. That is not offense to me in any sense of the definition. 

We need a playmaking guard that is for sure

Like I said, I figured there were nuances, I just don't know them 🙂...

And I do appreciate you sharing your knowledge...

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Like I said, I figured there were nuances, I just don't know them 🙂...

And I do appreciate you sharing your knowledge...

This is from a former high school coach I am sure there are many on here with more experience or higher level and I might be way off but that is just what I see and why I get so frustrated and cannot watch much of it. I wish I could just watch the ball and be a fan that would be great. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

They don't want the big names coaches who have been available.  Mile told the story many times of how we could've had Pitino.  Cal was rumored to have wanted the job badly while at Memphis.  I've had people in Evansville tell me that Pearl would've crawled from Auburn to Bloomington.  Scott Drew reportedly had interest. The problem is that the administration doesn't like the big name coaches that have been available.   

JFC, this can't be a serious post, can it? The reason they didn't want those guys is just because they didn't want a big name? Can you think of ANY other reason that is a common denominator among those 4 coaches that might be another reason why the administration didn't want them? I mean, there's dumb posts, but this is on another level.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

JFC, this can't be a serious post, can it? The reason they didn't want those guys is just because they didn't want a big name? Can you think of ANY other reason that is a common denominator among those 4 coaches that might be another reason why the administration didn't want them? I mean, there's dumb posts, but this is on another level.

The options are to hire a guy like that or keep losing.  There is no in between.   

For 20 years we've taken the IU Scott "Yes we're going to lose but by God we're going to lose the right way" approach.  If you want it that way fine but some of us are sick of it.  UNC, Kansas, Arizona, UL, etc get away with murder and keep winning.  Howard just punched a coach but of course he'll keep his job and UM will keep going on deep tourney runs while we sit around on our butts.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

The options are to hire a guy like that or keep losing.  There is no in between.   

For 20 years we've taken the IU Scott "Yes we're going to lose but by God we're going to lose the right way" approach.  If you want it that way fine but some of us are sick of it.  UNC, Kansas, Arizona, UL, etc get away with murder and keep winning.  Howard just punched a coach but of course he'll keep his job and UM will keep going on deep tourney runs while we sit around on our butts.

Yes, there's only one way to win in this game, and that's by doing what those guys are doing. Give me a break. I'm sure Calipari would have sprinted to this job, considering the shenanigans he was getting into at Memphis at the time.  Scott Drew, he of "commit or I'll have you deported" fame? Bruce Pearl, I don't even know where to start with that one, or Pitino. 

Meanwhile, there are plenty of coaches that have succeeded without any of that - Jay Wright, Boeheim, Izzo, Beilein, Tony Bennett. But, hey, according to you I guess it's impossible to win without hiring one of the "everything that's wrong with college basketball" people to run your program.

13 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Yes, there's only one way to win in this game, and that's by doing what those guys are doing. Give me a break. I'm sure Calipari would have sprinted to this job, considering the shenanigans he was getting into at Memphis at the time.  Scott Drew, he of "commit or I'll have you deported" fame? Bruce Pearl, I don't even know where to start with that one, or Pitino. 

Meanwhile, there are plenty of coaches that have succeeded without any of that - Jay Wright, Boeheim, Izzo, Beilein, Tony Bennett. But, hey, according to you I guess it's impossible to win without hiring one of the "everything that's wrong with college basketball" people to run your program.

Slack up. Everyone is entitled to their own

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Or am I wrong on that?

In 40+ years of watching & playing I have learned this 

if you win you made great adjustments 

if you lose you didn’t 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I did not watch last night and may decide not to watch again until the BTT.  So, I cant weigh in about how we let last night get away.

But, it does seem that, over the last few years, we come from ahead to lose significantly more games down the stretch than we come from behind to win.  

For me, that points more to a lack of on-court leadership than it does coaching. 

Bob Knight didn't design a play to get the ball to Keith Smart in '87, despite Smart carrying the team down the stretch of that game up until that point.  The play was designed for Alford.

But, when Daryl Thomas got the pass, he recognized he personally wasn't going to get a good shot off.  Throw that same pass today and TJD forces up a bad shot.  And, Smart knew better than to stand and watch.  He cut to give Thomas a passing angle.  None of our wing players would do that today.

This group of players does not do things like that.  And, I refuse to believe it's the coaching.  The players lack the commitment to be great.  We saw that with the Windy City 5.  And, doesnt that loss look huge right now.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1