2022 through 2065 MLB Seasons

5fouls

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Article indicates 30,000-35,000 retractable roof stadium.  Seems to be an acknowledgment that attendance could still be a challenge

These are 2022 rankings for fans. Just a sign of the times for most of baseball I guess. Only 5 teams average more than 35k at home all season.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/attendance/_/year/2022

23 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Article indicates 30,000-35,000 retractable roof stadium.  Seems to be an acknowledgment that attendance could still be a challenge

That is better than 3,000. Tucker Barnhart was on local radio a couple of days ago while in Oakland. I guess that stadium is totally a dump and they found a dead possum in one of the suits.

• Haha 1

I’m not actually bullish on baseball in Las Vegas; I certainly don’t think it’s some kind of slam dunk. For one thing, it’s not as big as you might think. The Las Vegas television market is actually smaller than Greenville, South Carolina. The Las Vegas metro area is smaller than Austin and only a touch bigger than small-market Kansas City or Cincinnati.

For another, a new stadium in Vegas would almost certainly have to be a dome — have you seen the summer highs there?

June: 102 degrees
July: 107
August: 104
September: 96

It does cool off after the sun goes down, but you still need a dome — or retractable-roof stadium — and that cost starts at a billion dollars, probably, and goes up.

But here’s something else I’ve been thinking about: How badly does Las Vegas even want a baseball team? I mean, the city already has David Copperfield and Cirque du Soleil and RuPaul’s Drag Race Live, it’s already a top spot in America for the biggest sporting events wherever they are played, they already have a football team and a hockey team and preposterously rich people (including LeBron) are already lining up to bring an NBA team to town.

Point is: This is not a city in desperate need of a baseball team in order to confirm its major league status … from what I can tell, there’s a real question if, say, an A’s-Rockies game could even draw people away from BattleBots Destruct-A-Thon.

https://joeposnanski.substack.com/p/the-sad-ballad-of-the-oakland-as

Professional sports in Vegas just makes sense.  I mean, aside from the gambling thing, put that aside.  It's a travel/vacation destination, so you'll always have a decent amount of opponent fans.  If you have a minimal amount of local followers, than you're set.  The flipside is that it sucks for the home team because while they'll have home field advantage by default, there will always be a large (relative to any other market) contingent of visiting fans too.

• Like 2

De La Cruz went 1-5 tonight.  Double off the 2nd baseman's glove was special.  Got called out sealing 3rd, but we were sitting right there by the bag and he clearly was safe.  Absolutely smoked a liner to center in the 8th, but it hung up.  Also, hit what looked to be a medium depth moon shot to the opposite field (left) that almost carried to the warning track (raw power is evident).  Struck out twice, which he's prone to do, and something he will need to work on.  

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Naturalhoosier said:

Professional sports in Vegas just makes sense.  I mean, aside from the gambling thing, put that aside.  It's a travel/vacation destination, so you'll always have a decent amount of opponent fans.  If you have a minimal amount of local followers, than you're set.  The flipside is that it sucks for the home team because while they'll have home field advantage by default, there will always be a large (relative to any other market) contingent of visiting fans too.

Wonder if Vegas will go for the Bay Area trifecta and poach the Warriors :) 

11 hours ago, Naturalhoosier said:

Agree. Vegas is so much more than the gambling and this offers just another thing to do. 

• Like 1