End of season tough choice

Preference for end of the season between two Ok outcomes  

49 members have voted

1. 1. If you had to choose between these two ok-ish outcomes, which would you pick:

• Beat UM, lose to UI - squeak into the big dance and lose first game
    • Beat UM, lose to UI - win the NIT

29 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Sure, but we’re still losers anyway you look at it. Great that they can get some more experience, but there’s a difference in learning to win against mediocre teams and the teams that we need to learn to win against. We didn’t have issues closing out NIT teams. 🤷🏻‍♂️ No thanks for me, and hope it doesn’t matter anyway. 

Welcome to the state of Indiana Basketball.  Glad you could join us.  We've been losers for a while now.  Don't see that changing anytime soon.  I saved a seat for you.  I hope it changes but i am not holding my breath.

Edited by IowaHoosierFan

1 hour ago, Indykev said:

Believe it or not, IU played in many N.I.T.'s with Bob Knight as our coach. There used to be N.I.T. banners hanging in AH. Your first sentence I get. The 2nd not so much.

In his 29 years at IU, he had IU in 24 NCAA appearances.

I see NIT as an extended reward for a lackluster season. It happens and I’m aware but it’s not my bag. To each their own.

12 minutes ago, Inequality said:

In his 29 years at IU, he had IU in 24 NCAA appearances.

I see NIT as an extended reward for a lackluster season. It happens and I’m aware but it’s not my bag. To each their own.

I looked it up because I couldn’t remember a single one and IU made an NIT appearance ‘72,79 & 85

9 hours ago, Inequality said:

I looked it up because I couldn’t remember a single one and IU made an NIT appearance ‘72,79 & 85

Totally different era too. In 79, IU won the NIT over a Purdue team that was 27-8 and tied MI ST (national champ) and IA for 1st in B1G but didn’t get an invite to the NCAAT. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Inequality said:

Wow that’s odd isn’t it? Wonder why?

From an article at the time. It was the rule then to only take two teams from the same conference. 

Purdue, which was picked in the preseason to finish seventh in its conference, earned a share of the title with Iowa and Michigan State largely because Carroll emerged as an offensive star.

Purdue's 27-7 overall record is second best in the Big Ten, but the Boiler-makers were not invited to the NCAA tournament because their record against Iowa and Michigan State was 1-3, and the NCAA takes only two from a conference.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Inequality said:

Wow that’s odd isn’t it? Wonder why?

At one time only the conference champion got into the tournament. In 1974 the top two teams in college basketball was NC St. And Maryland.  They met in the conference championship and was one of the best games ever.  NC St. won the game and went to the tournament and Maryland stayed home.  After that they expanded the tournament where more than one team from a conference could make it.

• Like 1