Illinois Postgame Thread

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

18 Turnovers and 25 Personal Fouls and 16-29 from the free throw line show lack of mental toughness and accountability. This may be an unpopular position but mine is this loss is on Archie. He’s not getting these guys prepared to play on the road. You can’t beat anyone with this level of basketball IQ

1 minute ago, Hoosier82 said:

18 Turnovers and 25 Personal Fouls and 16-29 from the free throw line show lack of mental toughness and accountability. This may be an unpopular position but mine is this loss is on Archie. He’s not getting these guys prepared to play on the road. You can’t beat anyone with this level of basketball IQ

Explain to me how players missing 13 free throws is on the coach.

Just now, bstall76 said:

ISU beat us, IPFW beat us, we gave the game to UI by being dumb with the ball, missing bunnies and free throws. UI is a BAD team, so I am not sure what that makes us.

We are at worst, average. At best, pretty decent. 

We lost this game in 2 areas.... #1 the obvious free throws. #2 the failure to get the ball to Morgan (and Johnson) in the last 7 minutes. All I can honestly remember during that time frame is Devonte Green dribbling.

Not too worked up about this one.  Seems clear now that this team’s ceiling has always been the NIT.  You’re not going anywhere in college basketball with shitty guards, that’s just the way it is.  The team’s improved since the beginning of the season, but aside from Juwan, there’s no one we can count on to bring it every game.  We’ll still have a chance to steal one of the next three games because our toughness on D will allow us to compete.  But even so, we’ll lose a couple more like this and finish with a conference record around .500.  It is what it is.

3 minutes ago, cohete15 said:

We are at worst, average. At best, pretty decent. 

We lost this game in 2 areas.... #1 the obvious free throws. #2 the failure to get the ball to Morgan (and Johnson) in the last 7 minutes. All I can honestly remember during that time frame is Devonte Green dribbling.

He dribbles a great deal, and not very well at times.

3 minutes ago, bstall76 said:

Explain to me how players missing 13 free throws is on the coach.

Accountability and putting in the work. Is anyone on this team a better free throw shooter than last year? If it was one bad game here and there fine but this is a huge problem and so far nothing is being done to fix it. Rather it’s getting worse

1 minute ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Not too worked up about this one.  Seems clear now that this team’s ceiling has always been the NIT.  You’re not going anywhere in college basketball with shitty guards, that’s just the way it is.  The team’s improved since the beginning of the season, but aside from Juwan, there’s no one we can count on to bring it every game.  We’ll still have a chance to steal one of the next three games because our toughness on D will allow us to compete.  But even so, we’ll lose a couple more like this and finish with a conference record around .500.  It is what it is.

Yeah, we are held back by poor guard play - particularly at the point. Crazy to think if CuJo transferred before the year and we could've brought in a guy like Andrew Dakich we probably have two more wins. 

Just now, Hoosier82 said:

Accountability and putting in the work. Is anyone on this team a better free throw shooter than last year? If it was one bad game here and there fine but this is a huge problem and so far nothing is being done to fix it. Rather it’s getting worse

Popovich and Coach K have both had some really good teams that were really bad from the line. 

Archived