HSN Fantasy Football

7 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Last couple I was a Sutton guy…more so because of TD/red zone targets…but with how Russ loved to use Lockett I felt he would be more comfortable with the underneath stuff…then with Payton this year and the short passing game I really thought Jeudy would take off. Go figure!

I was targeting Jeudy this year finally because of Payton....but am glad my other $ drafts aren't until after LDW.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

@5fouls does not have the bandwidth to run the HSN Pick 'Em this year, so I started one for us on Yahoo.

Pick 'Em Page

Password: BluegrassSmells

I think I've got the settings the same as how @5fouls tracked them last year, but I have this running all the way through the playoffs. 

I'm in. Thanks for setting up!

• Like 1

Fantasy Football Question of the Day:

During the day on Sundays, when there are multiple games going on at the same time, do you regularly check online to see how your fantasy players that are not in the game you are watching are doing? 

Or, are you more of a wait until the games are done person?

Edited by 5fouls

38 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

During the day on Sundays, when there are multiple games going on at the same time, do you regularly check online to see how your fantasy players that are not in the game you are watching are doing? 

Unless I'm getting together with friends (even there I know what's up)  or at the Bears game in person there isn't a time on Sunday's when I don't know what's going on with my guys. Have the TV's setup, Desktop on a league or two and checking the phone. Haha...

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Unless I'm getting together with friends (even there I know what's up)  or at the Bears game in person there isn't a time on Sunday's when I don't know what's going on with my guys. Have the TV's setup, Desktop on a league or two and checking the phone. Haha...

I always have my laptop open checking game cast and box scores.  Had Sunday ticket the last couple of years, so did a lot of channel surfing as well.  No Sunday ticket  this season, so it will be local tv and laptop only this year.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I always have my laptop open checking game cast and box scores.  Had Sunday ticket the last couple of years, so did a lot of channel surfing as well.  No Sunday ticket  this season, so it will be local tv and laptop only this year.

I admire (and I don't) people who can just look at the score on Sunday night. Especially early on in the season I like to know what every team is doing and where the targets are going. Especially in PPR. You mix in pickem contests and a few other things Sunday's are pretty hard work not to mention hoping your team wins!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

I sat at the bar and had the app open for the duration switching between which games had my attention depending on who was on offense or in the redzone for the first slate of games anyway

• Like 2

Does anyone on here do Best Ball?  I've never done it before this year but have been dabbling with it the last couple of days and entered a couple of free Yahoo leagues.  The draft strategy is different than in a season long managed team, and because of that I probably made some less than ideal draft decisions.  That's why I'm doing the free leagues.  I am interested in seeing how it plays out.  

Edit:  In a draft I did last night, Jonathan Taylor went in the 7th round.  Probably one of my mistakes.  I considered him in both the 5th and 6th, but did not take him.  I was determined to in the 7th, but he got taken before my pick came up.  

Edited by 5fouls

On 8/30/2023 at 2:16 PM, 5fouls said:

I might check at half time and if the game is out of hand etc but when I’m watching my team I’m watching. Honestly I have too many teams and players that help and hurt me to really care. A score helps me in one league and hurts in another so I don’t get too caught up over it. I’ll check it all when the game is over.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Does anyone on here do Best Ball?  I've never done it before this year but have been dabbling with it the last couple of days and entered a couple of free Yahoo leagues.  The draft strategy is different than in a season long managed team, and because of that I probably made some less than ideal draft decisions.  That's why I'm doing the free leagues.  I am interested in seeing how it plays out.  

Edit:  In a draft I did last night, Jonathan Taylor went in the 7th round.  Probably one of my mistakes.  I considered him in both the 5th and 6th, but did not take him.  I was determined to in the 7th, but he got taken before my pick came up.  

Starting to play a little more best ball…my key take away is of course you want those great players early on that will be studs all year but later on focus on guys that might break out…guys that have huge/high upside over consistent middle of the road scorers. Best ball isn’t about consistency it’s about scoring big from your bench.

I don’t have a need for guys that get me 8 pts every week. In real fantasy there is a place for that in a spot start I just need solid pts…but in best ball I’d rather have guys that score 2-3pts 10 weeks but have weeks that they blow up for 15-20 from my bench. Since you don’t manage a lineup you are looking for guys that are more boom or bust than consistent. Say a guy in the past like Desean Jackson or Will Fuller who will have a few huge games…I don’t need to guess when they will happen…as opposed to a Hunter Renfro who will score 8-10 pts but never score high enough to count. Hope that makes sense.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Hard to say how much Taylor plays…you’ve already lost a quarter of the season…id be shocked if he doesn’t shut it down the last quarter of the season when we have nothing to play for….so what…6-8 games in the middle of the year tops?? I drafted him and have him on a couple dynasty leagues but I don’t expect much from him this year.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Starting to play a little more best ball…my key take away is of course you want those great players early on that will be studs all year but later on focus on guys that might break out…guys that have huge/high upside over consistent middle of the road scorers. Best ball isn’t about consistency it’s about scoring big from your bench.

I don’t have a need for guys that get me 8 pts every week. In real fantasy there is a place for that in a spot start I just need solid pts…but in best ball I’d rather have guys that score 2-3pts 10 weeks but have weeks that they blow up for 15-20 from my bench. Since you don’t manage a lineup you are looking for guys that are more boom or bust than consistent. Say a guy in the past like Desean Jackson or Will Fuller who will have a few huge games…I don’t need to guess when they will happen…as opposed to a Hunter Renfro who will score 8-10 pts but never score high enough to count. Hope that makes sense.

One thing I noticed in the Best Ball drafts I did is that mid-level tight-ends are going much earlier than they do in managed league drafts. 

Miss out on Kelce, which I have in the best ball drafts I've done, and my plan was to skip over the Andrews, Kittle, Hickenson tier.  

Was surprised to see guys like Goedert, Engram, Friermuth, Waller, etc going off the board while I'm ztill filling out my 2nd RB, 3rd WR, and Flex spots.  

I ended up with motley combinations involving Schultz, Dulcich, Mayer, etc level guys.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 5fouls said:

One thing I noticed in the Best Ball drafts I did is that mid-level tight-ends are going much earlier than they do in managed league drafts. 

Miss out on Kelce, which I have in the best ball drafts I've done, and my plan was to skip over the Andrews, Kittle, Hickenson tier.  

Was surprised to see guys like Goedert, Engram, Friermuth, Waller, etc going off the board while I'm ztill filling out my 2nd RB, 3rd WR, and Flex spots.  

I ended up with motley combinations involving Schultz, Dulcich, Mayer, etc level guys.

Yes I noticed that too. You can get good wr/rb in that range. Same with qbs, they go early too.

It’s really about going after position groups and players that give you a big advantage because when you load up on bench guys with high upsides they can get you wr/rb 1 numbers occasionally but there are few tes or qbs that can put up huge numbers.

I’ve kinda targeted Hockenson in best ball if Kelce doesn’t fall to me.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

On 8/31/2023 at 9:13 PM, Seeking6 said:

Just did a draft. Yes...I'll take JT in the 8th/9th round all day long. 

I just did a draft.  Convoluted keeper situation.  Officially I got JT in the 10th, but it equates to the 7th when you factor out keepers.  3 of the rounds were used for IDP keepers, so when I drafted JT, approximately 7 rounds of offensive players had been drafted or kept.  

Edited by 5fouls

Had my draft in my 2QB ESPN league tonight.  Also a keeper league with IDP instead of a team defense.  Each team could keep 3 offensive and 3 defensive players from last year.  10 teams.  I was drafting 9th after finishing 2nd last season.  

My key offensive players from last season were L. Jackson, T. Lawrence, McCaffrey, Jefferson, Amon-Ra, and Kelce.

Jefferson and Kelce were no brainer keepers.  I knew McCaffrey would get snagged if I threw him back.  And, I highly suspected Amon-Ra would as well (huge Lions fan in the draft picking ahead of me).   I anticipated 5 QBs would be kept (ended up being 6), including 4 teams in front of me.  If I threw both Jackson and Lawrence back, I thought one, if not both would still be there when I drafted.  I also expected Herbert to get dropped due to who else his manager had on the roster. So, I concluded there was an excellent chance for me to get a least 1 if not two of those 3.

I ended up dropping both QBs and McCaffrey, keeping Amon-Ra, who I felt offered more long term future in a keeper league than CMC.  The player drafting behind me on the turn had Mahomes, so I was counting on him not to draft a QB.  So, with 4 teams in front not looking for a QB, and with CMC and Bijan in the pool, that was 6 of the 8 in front of me that would likely be passing on QB.   So, I was almost assured to get one of the three QBs, and had a chance at 2 if just one more drafter in front of me passed, because I did not think the Mahomes manger behind me would take one.

As it turned out all 3 fell to me (first 6 off the board were RBs).  I took Herbert and planned on taking Lawrence on the wrap (Lamar hurt me last year with injuries).  The guy behind me surprised me by taking Jackson to pair with Mahomes, but I still came away with T-Law.  Ended up getting Jordan Love as my 3rd QB.  

The number of keepers are increasing next year, so it's possible I may be able to keep both those guys AND Jefferson and Amon-Ra for the next several years.  

I had to scramble a bit at RB, but was able to patch together K. Walker, C. Akers, JK Dobbins, D. Swift, Z. Charbonnet, and got J. Taylor at a several round bargain.   

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 1