5-star guard Boogie Fland Commits to Kentucky

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Crean did get some talent but he also had a “ throw it against the wall and see what sticks “ approach. An offer from Crean to play at IU was viewed more as a commodity rather than something special. He missed on as many as he hit on.

11 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Exactly. Crean missed on a hell of a lot more than he hit. 

My point to @dgambill was not a referendum on Tom Crean's recruiting (or lack there of) it was more toward could Woody have recruited well before NIL and the portal... the only contention I made toward CTC was that I was sure Woody could have at least done as well as Crean did, and more likely even better, particularly in state... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Exactly. Crean missed on a hell of a lot more than he hit. 

But with NIL in his corner would he have landed those big dogs like Woody is. I think it could have made the difference on enough we wouldn’t have had those large drop offs in class talents. Just saying it’s impossible to know how Woody would do in a world without NIL. It’s futile to even go through the exercise.

What matters is he is the right coach right now.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 2

A couple of things on Boogie:

1. I know some Kentucky people who are afraid of getting into a bidding war with IU. They are convinced that NIL is how Indiana Basketball returns to prominence, and are confident that IU boosters like Cuban, the Cooks etc could just throw an unearthly amount of money towards recruits… and even though that isn’t truly the case, I do agree to an extent that IUBB will greatly benefit via NIL.

2. Boogie just seems like a fantastic young man with a high IQ for the game, and an all around level-headed kid in general.

• Like 8

21 hours ago, IUFLA said:

My point to @dgambill was not a referendum on Tom Crean's recruiting (or lack there of) it was more toward could Woody have recruited well before NIL and the portal... the only contention I made toward CTC was that I was sure Woody could have at least done as well as Crean did, and more likely even better, particularly in state... 

I think Woody would have recruited well relative to other IU coaches no matter when we had him. He has a message that resonates, that’s why he recruits well. 

• Like 3