5-star guard Boogie Fland Commits to Kentucky

21 hours ago, DC2345 said:

100% Woody has found a way to win over the parents in multiple recruitments whether he’s landed the recruit or not. Parents are trusting him with their kids and that’s a good thing for now and moving forward.

Parents aren’t dumb. They see what happened in Alabama and other places. They see how the kids act…they see them get to the nba…they see he knows the league and what teams want. Lot to like. His actual coaching might be his weakest link…and he is no Archie there.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

Parents aren’t dumb. They see what happened in Alabama and other places. They see how the kids act…they see them get to the nba…they see he knows the league and what teams want. Lot to like. His actual coaching might be his weakest link…and he is no Archie there.

I don't see that at all. He was good enough to coach in the NBA.  That's more than most college coaches can say.  Calipari and Pitino sure couldn't hack it in the pros.

Edited by FKIM01
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, dgambill said:

Far from it, imo. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 8

I’d say his coaching is the best we’ve had since the General when you combine getting players to improve, get motivated, and on court strategies.   Not everything works but he has no shortage of strategy.  Our biggest thing is we could just use more perimeter shooting which isn’t a coaching issue.  

• Like 2

Here's an interesting article from 2014...

In that year, Crean had just come off of 17-15 7-11 campaign and there was already talk of Woody coming back...As we all know, Crean would continue on through 2016-17, and then we'd have the Archie Miller era...

"It’s not a question of Xs and Os, Woodson can hold his own there just fine (I hope those IU players know how to switch on picks), but can he recruit?" questions NBC Sports' Kurt Helin. "He has an NBA pedigree and that’s a nice thing to sell to prospective players, but the college game is really all about recruiting and nobody knows if Woodson would be good at that or not."

I think we have a good idea now, eh?

• Like 5

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Here's an interesting article from 2014...

In that year, Crean had just come off of 17-15 7-11 campaign and there was already talk of Woody coming back...As we all know, Crean would continue on through 2016-17, and then we'd have the Archie Miller era...

"It’s not a question of Xs and Os, Woodson can hold his own there just fine (I hope those IU players know how to switch on picks), but can he recruit?" questions NBC Sports' Kurt Helin. "He has an NBA pedigree and that’s a nice thing to sell to prospective players, but the college game is really all about recruiting and nobody knows if Woodson would be good at that or not."

I think we have a good idea now, eh?

I wonder why IU didn’t truly consider Woody back then? I just feel like obviously after the fact but man where would we truly be if we hired him back then.

11 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

I wonder why IU didn’t truly consider Woody back then? I just feel like obviously after the fact but man where would we truly be if we hired him back then.

Fred Glass was the AD back then, and he didn't have the vision Dolson does for IU basketball...Plus Crean had just signed a big extension in 2012 and the buyout at the time was probably larger than IU wanted to pay...

21 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Fred Glass was the AD back then, and he didn't have the vision Dolson does for IU basketball...Plus Crean had just signed a big extension in 2012 and the buyout at the time was probably larger than IU wanted to pay...

It just stinks because it’s that many more years we would’ve had Woody. I feel like we aren’t gonna have him as long as we will want. I don’t think he’s gonna be Larry brown and coach in his 80s I think he stays for 3-4 more years then it’s back to the drawing board of hoping we find that woody 2.0

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

It just stinks because it’s that many more years we would’ve had Woody. I feel like we aren’t gonna have him as long as we will want. I don’t think he’s gonna be Larry brown and coach in his 80s I think he stays for 3-4 more years then it’s back to the drawing board of hoping we find that woody 2.0

Maybe the hire that was better than Woody was Scott Dolson...IU Sports (beyond football, which I think will be addressed) are all looking up...And he's got to get a ton of credit for seeing in Woody what a lot of people didn't...

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

Trey Johnson cuts Kentucky. Number 1 player in 24. That’s not a good thing with Boogie close to decision right?

They weren’t expecting to land him. They are waiting on  2 reclass guys. Jasper Johnson and Peterson. Trey Johnson was never a part of the UK boogie decision. 

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Maybe the hire that was better than Woody was Scott Dolson...IU Sports (beyond football, which I think will be addressed) are all looking up...And he's got to get a ton of credit for seeing in Woody what a lot of people didn't...

To be fair…recruiting in 2022-23 is far far far different than 2014….like as different as pre-AAU to post AAU.

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

To be fair…recruiting in 2022-23 is far far far different than 2014….like as different as pre-AAU to post AAU.

Undoubtedly... with NIL and the portal...

But I've always heard that recruiting is about relationships... and Woody seems pretty good in that department... a lot of kids buy what he's selling...

He may have been at a disadvantage with the schools who were dealing under the table at that time (and we all know who they are) but Crean did get talent to IU... I can't imagine Coach Woodson couldn't have matched that... plus I'm not sure if he would have "lost" a lot of the Indiana high school coaches as lore has it CTC did... 

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Undoubtedly... with NIL and the portal...

But I've always heard that recruiting is about relationships... and Woody seems pretty good in that department... a lot of kids buy what he's selling...

He may have been at a disadvantage with the schools who were dealing under the table at that time (and we all know who they are) but Crean did get talent to IU... I can't imagine Coach Woodson couldn't have matched that... plus I'm not sure if he would have "lost" a lot of the Indiana high school coaches as lore has it CTC did... 

Crean did get some talent but he also had a “ throw it against the wall and see what sticks “ approach. An offer from Crean to play at IU was viewed more as a commodity rather than something special. He missed on as many as he hit on.

54 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Crean did get some talent but he also had a “ throw it against the wall and see what sticks “ approach. An offer from Crean to play at IU was viewed more as a commodity rather than something special. He missed on as many as he hit on.

Exactly. Crean missed on a hell of a lot more than he hit.