2024 G Travis Perry Commits to Kentucky

Indykev

18 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Thanks. Trust me I love shooters and I absolutely want the kid because he's a pure shooter I just don't want 6'2 and 6'1 running the show. Just me though. Ever since the Yogi/Jordy/Syracuse game I just want some size like JHS at one of the guard positions.

I understand what you’re saying for sure…Cupps being 6’2” also, maybe not terrible. Would love for one to be 6’5”, but at least neither being 5’10” is a plus.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Coach Robby said:

I know we all want flory and Kanon in 24. But this kid could serve so many roles in 4 years at IU. Distributor, scorer and shooter…sheesh. 

I’d like Flory, but don’t care one way or other on Kanon. I’d take Perry without hesitation 

• Like 2

On 4/29/2023 at 11:14 PM, Coach Robby said:

I know we all want flory and Kanon in 24. But this kid could serve so many roles in 4 years at IU. Distributor, scorer and shooter…sheesh. 

How does he compare to Cupps? Admittedly I've only seen highlight tapes of him against lower level Kentucky competition so I take that with some grain of salt, but it takes a special type of talent to be an in-state kid recruited by UK. Appears to be a better scorer than Cupps (again competition plays a factor) but doesn't look to have the handles or athleticism that Cupps has. Are Cupps and Perry capable of playing on the floor together without having to worry about defensive issues? Would be my biggest concern. 

Edited by IndyResident16
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

How does he compare to Cupps? Admittedly I've only seen highlight tapes of him against lower level Kentucky competition so I take that with some grain of salt, but it takes a special type of talent to be an in-state kid recruited by UK. Appears to be a better scorer than Cupps (again competition plays a factor) but doesn't look to have the handles or athleticism that Cupps has. Are Cupps and Perry capable of playing on the floor together without having to worry about defensive issues? Would be my biggest concern. 

I love both of them.  My concern came from watching Purdue this year.  I think both of their guards are solid, but when you're playing so small (and young) at both guard positions, you're going to find teams that exploit that.  We exploited Purdue and so did many others as the year went further along.  I'm hesitant that both would work together, but I absolutely see a scenario where one starts and the other is coming off the bench to get their minutes at some point in their career. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kycarter88 said:

I love both of them.  My concern came from watching Purdue this year.  I think both of their guards are solid, but when you're playing so small (and young) at both guard positions, you're going to find teams that exploit that.  We exploited Purdue and so did many others as the year went further along.  I'm hesitant that both would work together, but I absolutely see a scenario where one starts and the other is coming off the bench to get their minutes at some point in their career. 

That's my feeling on usage as well but I just don't see a guy like Travis Perry coming in and sitting behind Cupps for 3 years until he can comfortably see the court for 30 minutes a game. I get the feeling that Kentucky is his dream school but at the same time realizes playing heavy rotation minutes is always going to be an uphill battle there. Otherwise he likely would have committed a long time ago. 

Edited by IndyResident16
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, IndyResident16 said:

That's my feeling on usage as well but I just don't see a guy like Travis Perry coming in and sitting behind Cupps for 3 years until he can comfortably see the court for 30 minutes a game. I get the feeling that Kentucky is his dream school but at the same time realizes playing heavy rotation minutes is always going to be an uphill battle there. Otherwise he likely would have committed a long time ago. 

I probably worded my response poorly.  I didn't mean for him to sit behind Cupps for 3 years or anything like that, but as a freshman he's probably not getting over 10-15 minutes a game unless he is really stroking the 3.  And if he comes in and is eventually better than Cupps, I don't see Cupps as a guy who is going to put his head down and cry about being in a large reserve role.  Either way, I love the player and I hope we eventually land him, but they don't seem to fit together seamlessly.  It would take a better coaching job than what Painter did this year for it to really blossom in the Big 10. 

36 minutes ago, kycarter88 said:

I probably worded my response poorly.  I didn't mean for him to sit behind Cupps for 3 years or anything like that, but as a freshman he's probably not getting over 10-15 minutes a game unless he is really stroking the 3.  And if he comes in and is eventually better than Cupps, I don't see Cupps as a guy who is going to put his head down and cry about being in a large reserve role.  Either way, I love the player and I hope we eventually land him, but they don't seem to fit together seamlessly.  It would take a better coaching job than what Painter did this year for it to really blossom in the Big 10. 

Gotta agree….not sure why MP told them to turn it over 16 times and shoot 5-26 on 3’s 

neither Cupps or Perry are elite athletes but both are good enough shooters to play off the ball and handle & pass enough to play PG 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

Gotta agree….not sure why MP told them to turn it over 16 times and shoot 5-26 on 3’s 

neither Cupps or Perry are elite athletes but both are good enough shooters to play off the ball and handle & pass enough to play PG 

or maybe it was the fact that he didn't insert a different wrinkle into the lineup that would have avoided crapping the bed at the biggest moments in the last 10-15 games of the year.  kids are going to make mistakes, but it was a pattern that a blind man could see.  you can't be THAT wrapped up in painter's coaching ability to see this was a mistake right?

46 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

Can either defend a 6'4-6'5 wing with some size and athleticism? That's likely the biggest worry pairing them in the backcourt together. 

57 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Can either defend a 6'4-6'5 wing with some size and athleticism? That's likely the biggest worry pairing them in the backcourt together. 

No they really can’t. Cupps is a little quicker. I don’t see Perry being a fit. If woody wants positionless basketball then neither one is that type. Looked to me like the trend is 6’3- 6’9” athletes who can defend at least 3 spots. Those teams could play multiple ways.