Collectibles

Indykev

10 hours ago, Indykev said:

Today's cool arrivals. T.Law patch. T.Wiggins, 2 Sam Howell auto, patch. B.Robinson auto, David Bell, J. Waddle patch.

IMG_20230306_231513887.jpg

IMG_20230306_231441106.jpg

IMG_20230306_231405167.jpg

IMG_20230306_231240535.jpg

IMG_20230306_231342924.jpg

OK, so I see huge potential in some of these.  If the stars align right, Trevor Lawrence is going to have a fine career.  How much potential growth on investment do you see in the next 25, 50 years in cards?  I haven't bought a card in over 25 years and feel like I need to raid my parents basement before I royally regret it.  

Edited by NotIThatLives

3 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

OK, so I see huge potential in some of these.  If the stars align right, Trevor Lawrence is going to have a fine career.  How much potential growth on investment do you see in the next 25, 50 years in cards?  I haven't bought a card in over 25 years and feel like I need to raid my parents basement before I royally regret it.  

The new stuff from Panini have exploded and have saved the hobby. The junk wax era from our youth hasn't made a come back yet, but some are predicting it will. 70's and earlier have started coming back. Early Basketball if you have any in the basement would be worth finding.

Qb's are your hot cards for sure. New Basketball. I'm lost with Baseball, still learning the new stuff. All the cards I put up today are also numbered. Some to only 25. So rare prints. I just won a Josh Allen card in an auction, I had the Bills. When it was pulled the auction went nuts, said it was a case hit. Which I guess means 1 card in every 200 to 300 cases I was told today.. Very rare. We'll see when it comes. I have talked to a few deals. Low end value $1000, High $5000. Every time I talk to someone the price goes up.lol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/7/2023 at 2:03 PM, Indykev said:

The new stuff from Panini have exploded and have saved the hobby. The junk wax era from our youth hasn't made a come back yet, but some are predicting it will. 70's and earlier have started coming back. Early Basketball if you have any in the basement would be worth finding.

Qb's are your hot cards for sure. New Basketball. I'm lost with Baseball, still learning the new stuff. All the cards I put up today are also numbered. Some to only 25. So rare prints. I just won a Josh Allen card in an auction, I had the Bills. When it was pulled the auction went nuts, said it was a case hit. Which I guess means 1 card in every 200 to 300 cases I was told today.. Very rare. We'll see when it comes. I have talked to a few deals. Low end value $1000, High $5000. Every time I talk to someone the price goes up.lol.

It’s really interesting how things/collectibles go through phases and certain companies step in and reinvigorate the medium being collected. I’ve seen it happen in vinyl records many times the last several years.

I know NOTHING about sports cards, but I do have a few dozen NFL cards from the mid 1970s (was obsessed with the LA Rams back then for some reason) that I can’t seem to part with. I like to look through them every once in awhile to remember those times. I am sure they are next to worthless, but I like having them. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

It’s really interesting how things/collectibles go through phases and certain companies step in and reinvigorate the medium being collected. I’ve seen it happen in vinyl records many times the last several years.

I know NOTHING about sports cards, but I do have a few dozen NFL cards from the mid 1970s (was obsessed with the LA Rams back then for some reason) that I can’t seem to part with. I like to look through them every once in awhile to remember those times. I am sure they are next to worthless, but I like having them. 

Protect them. At some point the junk wax era caused by Topps flooding the market, will make a come back. If you ever want to move them yell at me. :cheers:

• Like 1

Have been on a bit of a classic Case (for me that means 1970s- mid 1980s) kick recently. Just picked up this 1976 Stockman - love the “For Flesh Only” etching on the spey blade. 

Second pick shows most of the Case from the above era that I’ve picked up over the last couple of months. Lots of good condition knives out there, but the prices are definitely climbing. 

In the second pic, bottom row on the right side are two Case knives that were a collaboration with Tony Bose. I’m guessing people on an IU message board might know of Tony. LEGENDARY knife maker from Indiana (Wilfred), who breathed new life into traditional pocket knife patterns. 

His custom knives started at a couple thousand up to like $12K. What’s cool is that he started working with Case each year on a collaboration knife. He would give them two knives he built. One put together and one in pieces. Case gave those two knives to a small team of their best knife makers and they used those two examples to build a limited set of Case/Bose collab knives - usually in runs of about 100-300 per year. 

You can basically get a Tony Bose *this* close to custom for MUCH cheaper. These run about $400-500 if you can find them at list price, or up to $800 on Ebay. The finish and tolerances on these knives are insane. They just feel like quality in your hands. 

Article about Tony: https://www.knifemagazine.com/tony-bose-legendary-slipjoint-maker-passes-away-at-74/

A3334D9B-0F98-4A16-91C1-7144AB6C2317.jpeg

A0C73AF8-40B6-4E68-AE2A-C07AC6D0946B.jpeg

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Protect them. At some point the junk wax era caused by Topps flooding the market, will make a come back. If you ever want to move them yell at me. :cheers:

They are pretty sweet - the Youngblood twins, Vince Ferragamo, Lawrence McCutcheon. Can’t imagine ever moving them, but now I know how to if I want to. 

They are probably not well protected. Just in a little tin box. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Update on the PM card above. one PSA graded 10 sold for $1000. I guess I will send it to be graded.

Really cool stuff. I've got unopened boxes of baseball and football cards that I need to eventually do something.

I cringe at knowing somewhere I had Tiger's rookie card (SI for Kids) in 90's.  I had the subscription growing up and we never got rid of it until late 90's. Just knowing a landfill in Northern Illinois has that card makes me sick.

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Really cool stuff. I've got unopened boxes of baseball and football cards that I need to eventually do something.

I cringe at knowing somewhere I had Tiger's rookie card (SI for Kids) in 90's.  I had the subscription growing up and we never got rid of it until late 90's. Just knowing a landfill in Northern Illinois has that card makes me sick.

What do you have still sealed?

1 minute ago, Indykev said:

What do you have still sealed?

Boxes of Topps Baseball and Football cards from early 80's to late 80's. My Mom always had a good eye for buying things and setting aside (Star Wars stuff I've mentioned on here before). She passed away early in life (1985) and I just can't bring myself to sell them honestly.

I showed one collector here in Indy my 1981 box of Topps cards and he goes you know what might be in there right? I said yep...Montana. One of these days we'll see. 

7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Boxes of Topps Baseball and Football cards from early 80's to late 80's. My Mom always had a good eye for buying things and setting aside (Star Wars stuff I've mentioned on here before). She passed away early in life (1985) and I just can't bring myself to sell them honestly.

I showed one collector here in Indy my 1981 box of Topps cards and he goes you know what might be in there right? I said yep...Montana. One of these days we'll see. 

A graded 10 Montana Rookie....$40,000. Just looked it up. Young, Rice, Sanders, LT, Elway all over 15,000 for 80's Topps.

1980 wax box football sealed $800.00

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Indykev said:

A graded 10 Montana Rookie....$40,000. Just looked it up. Young, Rice, Sanders, LT, Elway all over 15,000 for 80's Topps.

1980 wax box football sealed $800.00

The guy here in Indy that I spoke with a few years ago told me he could go $500 for that box....but he followed it up with if you ever decide to sell give me a chance to make an offer. I said you kind of just shot yourself in the foot?

We had a good laugh. It's just one of those things I can't get rid of yet. Maybe if I need $10M bail or something down the line I'll start selling stuff. I love collecting things though or trying to find the value in what other people think is junk.

Estate sales have been a small little gold mine over the years. The kids want $ and they have no clue what some of the stuff is worth. Please keep posting your stuff....one of the best collections I've seen over the years.

• Like 2

On 3/27/2023 at 9:04 PM, Seeking6 said:

The guy here in Indy that I spoke with a few years ago told me he could go $500 for that box....but he followed it up with if you ever decide to sell give me a chance to make an offer. I said you kind of just shot yourself in the foot?

We had a good laugh. It's just one of those things I can't get rid of yet. Maybe if I need $10M bail or something down the line I'll start selling stuff. I love collecting things though or trying to find the value in what other people think is junk.

Estate sales have been a small little gold mine over the years. The kids want $ and they have no clue what some of the stuff is worth. Please keep posting your stuff....one of the best collections I've seen over the years.

If he owned a card shop they pay about 80% of market value to make a small profit while taking the risk it doesnt tank. I was talking to the guys in Btown. They paid 10,000 for a Daniel Jones card, its worth 1,900 today. Which it could go back up if Jones has another ok year.

• Like 1

I wish I kept all the cards and comic books I had when I was a kid. I wasn't a Big Bang Theory level nerd but the card store I went to had all kinds of stuff.  I had basketball, baseball, football, and Nascar cards and comic books. 

I even had the desert storm set and those old Bank One IU basketball cards. 

Maybe I was/am a nerd. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I wish I kept all the cards and comic books I had when I was a kid. I wasn't a Big Bang Theory level nerd but the card store I went to had all kinds of stuff.  I had basketball, baseball, football, and Nascar cards and comic books. 

I even had the desert storm set and those old Bank One IU basketball cards. 

Maybe I was/am a nerd. 

F1 and soccer cards are booming right now. A Lewis Hamilton card brings huge dollars. I watched in an auction break the other night a 1 of 1 Messi card pulled from a pack they thought would sell for over a million. The guy paid $60 to get in the auction and won the card.

• Like 1

In the mailbox today was to many to photo everything. About 200 cards came today. It's getting out of hand. Lol. Here are a couple highlights. Michael Pittman Jr on card auto and patch. 3 of 10. A player I like and have a lot of. Brian Robinson Jr. Auto and patch. 59 of 60. Drake London auto. 56/99. Chris Olave auto. 19/75. 3 player card with patches. Chris Spielman, Ndamukong Suh, Aidan Hutchinson. 32/99.

IMG_20230401_165636146.jpg

IMG_20230401_165652037.jpg

IMG_20230401_165711122.jpg

IMG_20230401_165726180.jpg

IMG_20230401_165742208.jpg