Collectibles

Indykev

2 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Since I don't already have enough stuff to spend money on I've started expanding my collection into Military Payment Certificates.  Issued from 1946-1973 to pay troops serving overseas.  First one arrived today. I just think theyre neat, and they aren't expensive.  

Series 692 was issued 1970-73

20221215_133635.thumb.jpg.59a3f256c468100740085dadaf36dc09.jpg

20221215_133657.thumb.jpg.f13f195f53f3fb91948e7c9f24ad609f.jpg

What are the costs associated with these?  These are really cool. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Naturalhoosier said:

What are the costs associated with these?  These are really cool. 

Most are valued from $3-$15 depending on condition.  There are some issues that are rarer that go for more.  Higher denominations cost a little more too.  Up until 1965 they printed  5¢, 10¢, 25¢, 50¢, $1, $5, and $10.  They added a $20 after 1965. 

I've just been watching auctions on eBay and bidding on one's that I like.  I paid $10 for the one I posted.  A website called APMEX sells them for decent prices. 

They are about the size of monopoly money which is the nickname soldiers made up for them.  

• Like 4

A 1942 Walking Liberty half dollar.  The nicest condition coin I ever got from circulation.  It's not worth a lot, but I've always liked the reverse side especially.  Just terrific art.  It's like the eagle is saying "Out of my way, I have important eagle stuff to do!" 

The designer, Adolph Alexander Weinman, also did the Mercury Dime.

50 cent.JPG

50 cent back.JPG

Edited by Madison22
  • Like 6

19 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

A 1942 Walking Liberty half dollar.  The nicest condition coin I ever got from circulation.  It's not worth a lot, but I've always liked the eagle side especially.  Just terrific art.  The designer, Adolph Alexander Weinman, also did the Mercury Dime.

50 cent.JPG

50 cent back.JPG

I'm amazed by the amount of detail they were able to have on such small objects with the available technology back then. 

• Like 1

Another note showed up on Saturday.  Series 521 was issued from May 1954 to May 1958.  There are a total of 94 recognized notes. 

MPC was created to combat profiteering from favorable exchange rates and inflating local currencies. They frequently changed series and designs to deter black marketers and hoarding. 

20221219_121900.thumb.jpg.8b11ebb7dad1819cd6f4bcf7ea5aa052.jpg20221219_121919.thumb.jpg.6767eb620b8dfaf05dcf71807853c751.jpg

• Like 2

Just now, mrflynn03 said:

Another note showed up on Saturday.  Series 521 was issued from May 1954 to May 1958.  There are a total of 94 recognized notes. 

MPC was created to combat profiteering from favorable exchange rates and inflating local currencies. They frequently changed series and designs to deter black marketers and hoarding. 

20221219_121900.thumb.jpg.8b11ebb7dad1819cd6f4bcf7ea5aa052.jpg20221219_121919.thumb.jpg.6767eb620b8dfaf05dcf71807853c751.jpg

I coulda swore that's what I got in total on my first trip to the USAF paymaster ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

29 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

10 cents back then bought a bit more than today. Still, makes me wonder about all the effort to print that? Remember pondering the value of a Russian Kopeck. 1/100 of a Russian Ruble. Basically our penny. The Ruble at the time in US dollars was worth about 2 cents?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

10 cents back then bought a bit more than today. Still, makes me wonder about all the effort to print that? Remember pondering the value of a Russian Kopeck. 1/100 of a Russian Ruble. Basically our penny. The Ruble at the time in US dollars was worth about 2 cents?

Must have cost very little to produce. 

I've been wanting to get some copper Kopeks. The origin of them is pretty interesting. Can get them dating back to the 1700's for about $30-$40 for a good example.

https://coinweek.com/world-coins/a-massive-coin-for-a-massive-empire-the-russian-5-kopek-copper/

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Must have cost very little to produce. 

I've been wanting to get some copper Kopeks. The origin of them is pretty interesting. Can get them dating back to the 1700's for about $30-$40 for a good example.

https://coinweek.com/world-coins/a-massive-coin-for-a-massive-empire-the-russian-5-kopek-copper/

Thank you for the article!! All of the Kopeck I have had were I’m assuming nickel. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Drroogh said:

Thank you for the article!! All of the Kopeck I have had were I’m assuming nickel. 

Looks like starting 1998, depending on denomination, they are made of brass or nickel plated steel. Some are cupronickel which is a copper-nickel alloy. 

I'm guessing pre-98 they were mostly cupronickel.

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 2

Couldn't decide if this should be here or in the investing topic. 

When not buying numismatics I buy silver and sometimes gold bullion. It's easier to accumulate silver and trade up to gold. I try to keep it at 5-10% of my investment portfolio.  Lately premiums have been sky high on American eagles and Canadian maples. $7+ over spot. Premiums are like the front and back end load on a mutual fund. When that happens I start shopping for alternatives.  Been getting silver Britannias for around $3 over. It is a really nice design. I like to keep 1 great example from every mint. 

s-l400.jpg.7044d03485f9c37096dc71ca98877e24.jpg

• Like 2

Man, the art on coins is intense when you pay attention to it. 

I stumbled across this dude on Etsy when I was looking at wood to make knife handles. I think this is cool as hell, but I can see how others would think it blasphemy to modify the coins. 

https://www.etsy.com/shop/SethBasistaCarvings?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=228356237

99029C4E-E26B-4324-B252-3CD244DB85C2.jpeg

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

Man, the art on coins is intense when you pay attention to it. 

I stumbled across this dude on Etsy when I was looking at wood to make knife handles. I think this is cool as hell, but I can see how others would think it blasphemy to modify the coins. 

https://www.etsy.com/shop/SethBasistaCarvings?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=228356237

99029C4E-E26B-4324-B252-3CD244DB85C2.jpeg

Looks cool. Doesn't bother me but I'm not a purist.

The things that do irritate me are modified dates to make it look like a key date.  I've seen some nice grade common dates I would have bought ruined because the date was altered. 

Artificially toning genuine silver coins. People apply chemicals to them or even stick them in a potato and bake them so they look like this.  They do it because toned coins command a premium.

artificially_toned_morgan_dollar_large.jpg.7fded5fad687648bb2da19925761dde2.jpg

Silver is reactive to the environment and can take on different colors depending on what the exposure is to. Here is a naturally toned example with the rainbow effect.images.jpeg.241067029358a1d3ee1251188195c623.jpeg

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

Looks cool. Doesn't bother me but I'm not a purist.

The things that do irritate me are modified dates to make it look like a key date.  I've seen some nice grade common dates I would have bought ruined because the date was altered. 

Artificially toning genuine silver coins. People apply chemicals to them or even stick them in a potato and bake them so they look like this.  They do it because toned coins command a premium.

artificially_toned_morgan_dollar_large.jpg.7fded5fad687648bb2da19925761dde2.jpg

Silver is reactive to the environment and can take on different colors depending on what the exposure is to. Here is a naturally toned example with the rainbow effect.images.jpeg.241067029358a1d3ee1251188195c623.jpeg

Ha, that’s also a big trend in bike parts/tools and knife blades/handles. Everyone is gaga for the anodized metals. I think they are neat, but would probably get old. They call that look “oil slick” on metal bike parts. Though I think some of them are just coated with coloring on the cheaper parts. 

• Like 1

Lord help me, I’ve become obsessed with Great Eastern Cutlery traditional folders. These are such a bitch to find for decent prices, but they are so nice. Made right here in the US of A in Titusville, PA. 

I’m not sure there’s a more satisfying combo of high quality wood and steel for me. Something about having one of these in your pocket is so satisfying. I think I’m going to need to set some personal limits on buying these. Already have two more coming in the mail. End of year bonus allowed me to be a bit squirrely in my holiday spending. 

291CA8CE-55A7-4C63-B71A-B08FCD6DFBFB.jpeg

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

Lord help me, I’ve become obsessed with Great Eastern Cutlery traditional folders. These are such a bitch to find for decent prices, but they are so nice. Made right here in the US of A in Titusville, PA. 

I’m not sure there’s a more satisfying combo of high quality wood and steel for me. Something about having one of these in your pocket is so satisfying. I think I’m going to need to set some personal limits on buying these. Already have two more coming in the mail. End of year bonus allowed me to be a bit squirrely in my holiday spending. 

291CA8CE-55A7-4C63-B71A-B08FCD6DFBFB.jpeg

Did you get those from the website I linked You?  They're freaking gorgeous.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

So they retired jerseys of guys that transferred away and didn't even finish their high school career's at the school?  

Right?  Didn't both of them transfer to prep schools?

I don't know if those jerseys are retired or just show pieces from Duke.  And yes, they left Warsaw and went to school in North Carolina.