NIL, the AD, and where does the line get drawn (Hoosier Hysterics)

On 9/12/2023 at 2:44 PM, FKIM01 said:

Yeah, that was a pretty naive statement.  Most people could visualize what the NIL would become pretty much from day one.

It took what has been going on at Kansas, Kentucky, UNC, Duke, etc. and just made it legal for everyone.  This stuff has been going on in the shadows for schools like that for 2 decades at least.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

It took what has been going on at Kansas, Kentucky, UNC, Duke, etc. and just made it legal for everyone.  This stuff has been going on in the shadows for schools like that for 2 decades at least.

We’re just talking about basketball, look what is happening to SEC football (Alabama) now that the playing field is even!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Drroogh said:

We’re just talking about basketball, look what is happening to SEC football (Alabama) now that the playing field is even!

You're both hitting the nail on the head. It seems to be leveling the playing field, and the dirtiest programs appear to be affected the most.

Alabama fans I know are pissed about NIL and the portal. They claim it has ruined college football. Maybe it has; for them. Now boosters of programs that may have restricted their desire to "help" before, can participate in collectives. The bagmen and other nefarious characters are less emphasized, which is good.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Hoosierinbham said:

You're both hitting the nail on the head. It seems to be leveling the playing field, and the dirtiest programs appear to be affected the most.

Alabama fans I know are pissed about NIL and the portal. They claim it has ruined college football. Maybe it has; for them. Now boosters of programs that may have restricted their desire to "help" before, can participate in collectives. The bagmen and other nefarious characters are less emphasized, which is good.

Bagmen! I remember my friends in GA complaining their Bagmen weren’t good enough to compete with Alabama!

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, Coach Robby said:

What a potentially confusing parking lot

Basically 8 colors. Some are similar. Can't go too crazy customizing a leased vehicle either. Must have been a crazy couple days at the local Ram dealer. 

2023 RAM 1500 Tradesman® and Big Horn® Colors

• Diamond Black Crystal Pearl-Coat
  • Granite Crystal Metallic Clear-Coat
  • Billet Silver Metallic Clear-Coat
  • Patriot Blue Pearl-Coat
  • Hydro Blue Pearl-Coat
  • Delmonico Red Pearl-Coat
  • Flame Red Clear-Coat
  • Bright White Clear-Coa

3 hours ago, Reacher said:

"...the trucks will be leased to each player as part of individual six-month contracts that are expected to roll over contingent on a player's eligibility and enrollment at the university. Leases end when a player's eligibility expires or they choose to transfer."

I think they figured out how to keep players from transferring.

• Like 1

There have to be one & done players that got paid a million dollars….never set foot in a campus building besides the arena 

I know a lot of Purdue basketball players live in the new high rise across the street from Mackey….dorms as freshmen?

12 hours of fall semester online basket weaving…. ✌️ 

On 9/8/2023 at 9:17 AM, go_iu_bb said:

Look at how much the salaries have increased. They've far outpaced inflation. ~25 years ago Michael Jordan earned about ~$30M per year, a record at the time. Now the merely decent players are approaching that number. Very good but not great are earning far more. I expect salaries to increase over time but they ballooned.

I think you'd find similar in the NFL and MLB.

$30m in 1990 is over $70m today

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ledies22 said:

Interesting! Even more so when clicking on the link I get an alert that says ‘you have come to the Philippines Edition’? You weren’t searching for one of Colonial Cresters favorite topics were you?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Drroogh said:

Interesting! Even more so when clicking on the link I get an alert that says ‘you have come to the Philippines Edition’? You weren’t searching for one of Colonial Cresters favorite topics were you?

I saw the same thing, was hoping no one caught it. lol

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

I think it was recognizing cookies on your computer 🤣

• Haha 3

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, btownqb said:

this is the one where we take money from our pockets and send it directly to the athletes of our favorite school, in hopes they won't transfer? Is this that one? or? 

NIL is wild to me lol 

dressed up as "Hoosiers connect" 😆

Aren’t they all kind of like this? I haven’t seen anything in NIL that is transparent in how much they take in and how much they pay out. They all come across as “trust us, we’re helping” without any proof. 

• Like 2

Just now, BeerBQ said:

Aren’t they all kind of like this? I haven’t seen anything in NIL that is transparent in how much they take in and how much they pay out. They all come across as “trust us, we’re helping” without any proof. 

Wild isn't it? 

Schools- we aren't paying you!

Players-- wahh, we're going to court!

Fans-- hell we will pay them! 

🤣