NIL, the AD, and where does the line get drawn (Hoosier Hysterics)

7 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Got my Malik Reneau Jertee just in time for game day...

PXL_20230218_133214444.thumb.jpg.d730e28c64a8f928ba13c564f028983b.jpgPXL_20230218_133228649_MP.thumb.jpg.20e40c4d55174ca1b1362bc68fa559e3.jpg

Who next? I'm thinking Mackenzie Holmes? 

I got my wife the Berger crew neck for Christmas. It’s pretty cool. Teri Moren wore it on the sidelines of a game which is absolutely genius marketing. 
I wish they’d just sell general IU stuff that went to the players.

A6B0CFAD-B69E-44A8-9505-FDE386C0FF40.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just for discussion:  Angel Reese of LSU just got a $126,000 Mercedes-Benz gifted to her.  Her NIL deal overall is $1.4 million. 

The news is all over social media, and I'm sure male basketball players and recruits are seeing it.  Thinking:  if a GIRL gets national fame, drives that ride and makes over $1 million, what do I have to do for the same or better?

btw, her grade point average is 1.9.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/lsu-star-angel-reese-gifted-brand-new-mercedes-benz-21st-birthday

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

Just for discussion:  Angel Reese of LSU just got a $126,000 Mercedes-Benz gifted to her.  Her NIL deal overall is $1.4 million. 

The news is all over social media, and I'm sure male basketball players and recruits are seeing it.  Thinking:  if a GIRL gets national fame, drives that ride and makes over $1 million, what do I have to do for the same or better?

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/lsu-star-angel-reese-gifted-brand-new-mercedes-benz-21st-birthday

This exactly why she did what she did during the national title game to Caitlin Clark, and then doubled down on it on social media and in the media. 

It got her eyeballs, notoriety, followers and ultimately NIL deals and apparel commissions. 

She wasn't trying to talk crap to Clark, she was trying to leverage Clark's attention into her own. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Madison22 said:

A guy has to get the attention she generates - most don’t do that. 

• Like 1

The whole NIL scene is just nauseating at times to me.  Not Angel Reese in particular,  because she's a long way from the source of the problem in my mind...just the latest example in a never-ending and ever-spiraling journey to crazytown.   If you want more examples, just look at this forum's recruiting section...just full of "look at me" stuff...top ten school lists...I'm not limiting my recruitment to the top four I posted last week.  Every school in D1 is invited to bow and kiss my ring.  300 kids declaring for the draft with more than half of them never sniffing the NBA.  Guys on their 4th school in four years.  The portal feeding frenzy.  The absolute insanity of social media.  The quest for the quickest way to those NBA millions.  Kids more concerned about how they look running out of the tunnel than how they actually perform on the floor.

I'm ready for this NIL crap to find some reasonable level of equilibrium, because it's hard for me to believe that it's not hurting college athletics in it's current iteration. I don't begrudge kids like Trayce and Jalen being rewarded for their hard work and success but it seems like it's spiraled out of control with some of the crazy examples we've seen recently.

...and while the experience in dealing with NBA egos is surely helpful, I don't envy old school coaches like Mike Woodson trying to navigate this minefield. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

The whole NIL scene is just nauseating at times to me.  Not Angel Reese in particular,  because she's a long way from the source of the problem in my mind...just the latest example in a never-ending and ever-spiraling journey to crazytown.   If you want more examples, just look at this forum's recruiting section...just full of "look at me" stuff...top ten school lists...I'm not limiting my recruitment to the top four I posted last week.  Every school in D1 is invited to bow and kiss my ring.  300 kids declaring for the draft with more than half of them never sniffing the NBA.  Guys on their 4th school in four years.  The portal feeding frenzy.  The absolute insanity of social media.  The quest for the quickest way to those NBA millions.  Kids more concerned about how they look running out of the tunnel than how they actually perform on the floor.

I'm ready for this NIL crap to find some reasonable level of equilibrium, because it's hard for me to believe that it's not hurting college athletics in it's current iteration. I don't begrudge kids like Trayce and Jalen being rewarded for their hard work and success but it seems like it's spiraled out of control with some of the crazy examples we've seen recently.

...and while the experience in dealing with NBA egos is surely helpful, I don't envy old school coaches like Mike Woodson trying to navigate this minefield. 

Just like with companies/business owners/people who don't adjust they get run over with a mess because their inaction of decades. This whole mess is squarely on Brand and Emmert. They had their chance to make this right or find a solution and they set squarely on their backs doing nothing.

Maybe this Baker guy has a solution but his first comments on it involved Washington and nothing good comes out of getting those folks involved.

I'm just glad were covered in the NIL world. Guess that's my silver lining for IU.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Just like with companies/business owners/people who don't adjust they get run over with a mess because their inaction of decades. This whole mess is squarely on Brand and Emmert. They had their chance to make this right or find a solution and they set squarely on their backs doing nothing.

Maybe this Baker guy has a solution but his first comments on it involved Washington and nothing good comes out of getting those folks involved.

I'm just glad were covered in the NIL world. Guess that's my silver lining for IU.

Just wait, eventually some of these kids are going to get audited and it will be found taxes weren't paid.  While everything is on the up and up now regarding paying athletes, you know there is still some backdoor stuff happening with money and Uncle Sam aren't getting theirs.  When this happens, that is when you will see D.C. get involved and this becomes more regulated.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, IUALUM03 said:

Just wait, eventually some of these kids are going to get audited and it will be found taxes weren't paid.  While everything is on the up and up now regarding paying athletes, you know there is still some backdoor stuff happening with money and Uncle Sam aren't getting theirs.  When this happens, that is when you will see D.C. get involved and this becomes more regulated.

I actually doubt the taxes are a problem with the NIL - they should be getting a 1099 or W2 for those payments which makes the tax part pretty easy.

If the IRS wasn’t particularly interested in the under the table payments that happened for years I don’t see the NIL being a huge problem. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I actually doubt the taxes are a problem with the NIL - they should be getting a 1099 or W2 for those payments which makes the tax part pretty easy.

If the IRS wasn’t particularly interested in the under the table payments that happened for years I don’t see the NIL being a huge problem. 

Exactly. I don't remember IRS agents hanging out in Lexington or Tobacco Road or Ann Arbor and on and on....don't think this is going to get them in a rush to collect. Bigger fish right now. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IUALUM03 said:

I never want DC involved in anything. Like I said Brand and Emmert had decades to get out in front of this. Chose to look the other way because academia buildings were being built across the country because of the TV deals. Now we have a mess. Who knew looking the other for 2 decades would create a problem?

• Like 1

Government should have a formula for reducing funding to schools who benefit from tv deals, donations, grants, ect. And quit backing student loans. 

If Government got out of the university and student aid business and instead established limits and protections on private loans you may see a change. 

Government is responsible for the state of universities today. 

5 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I hear you to some extent, although there was that whole FBI investigation thing that seems to have gone nowhere, but was related to this very topic.

• 2 weeks later...

Malik Reneau was on Fox59 this just now doing his plug for his Malik Reneau Burger at Big Woods restaurant. $ from each burger purchased goes to Big Brothers/Big Sisters in Indiana.

He's back home in Miami and said while he's lifting/getting workouts 2-3x a day... he typically backs down a bit this month before heading back to IU in June to let his body heal from the season. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Malik Reneau was on Fox59 this just now doing his plug for his Malik Reneau Burger at Big Woods restaurant. $ from each burger purchased goes to Big Brothers/Big Sisters in Indiana.

He's back home in Miami and said while he's lifting/getting workouts 2-3x a day... he typically backs down a bit this month before heading back to IU in June to let his body heal from the season. 

Screenshot_20230517-084257.thumb.png.237f08feb61fa25731aef1278905b569.png

Looks pretty tasty to me... To bad they don't have a presence in Texas...🙂 

It says "at participating locations." Wonder if they'll sell it at the West Lafayette location 😉

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

It says "at participating locations." Wonder if they'll sell it at the West Lafayette location 😉

I think he said Bloomington, Speedway, Franklin, Noblesville, and Keystone at The Crossing for now. Might be missing one. The latter of those locations will be getting a few stops from us. Looks pretty darn good to me!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Ok... headed to the Big Woods 4 mins from my house right now lol Or maybe it won't be at the Edinburgh Outlet Mall location haha

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I hear he’s also working on an NIL deal with IU Health Cardiology 

:coffee:

Edited by 13th&Jackson
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I hear he’s also working on an NIL deal with IU Health Cardiology 

I've thought healthcare in some shape would enter right away. Dr Ahlfeld seems like a natural fit....or any of the dozens Sports Dr's, Therapists,etc...the commercials and ads run themselves.

Browsing the Boiler's board, I found this...

image.png.f7ba7dfd53177ab26dd959313f82ab46.png

Where is @Purdue7 to condemn this...this...this travesty! This abomination! Oh, the agony!  ;) 

Though I seriously doubt $5 or $10 million dollars a year are in play for Edey, my real thought on the Boiler anguish is...

You suckers are finally getting it :) 

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Browsing the Boiler's board, I found this...

image.png.f7ba7dfd53177ab26dd959313f82ab46.png

Where is @Purdue7 to condemn this...this...this travesty! This abomination! Oh, the agony!  ;) 

Though I seriously doubt $5 or $10 million dollars a year are in play for Edey, my real thought on the Boiler anguish is...

You suckers are finally getting it :) 

If true, it's way too much $ for him. I would imagine that would eat up a ton of the NIL money. Also, I think most teams, both small and large, have figured out to defend him and take his game away.