NIL, the AD, and where does the line get drawn (Hoosier Hysterics)

6 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I wonder how the NIL amounts being quoted as attributed to Trayce and Race compare to how much Mahomes gets paid for a State Farm commercial? 
I really don’t see a problem with those kind of “appearance fees.” As I stated earlier in this thread, using NIL to lure a recruit is where I see a major problem. 

Kind of like the Jordan Addison transfer where Pitts coach accused Lincoln Riley of reaching out to him before he entered the portal to discuss NIL opportunities out west. That is a problem if things like that go on. And I'm sure they do/will happen. 

• Like 1

I know we have to play the game to compete.  I am saying that I think it is a bad game currently that has too few rules and that the rules should be adjusted.

Going past that, this is really semi-pro sports and I sincerely question having them tied to colleges going forward.  I question the value it will provide to have a semi pro team wearing your school colors.

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

That and a tweet about the event is all I can find that he did for that particular event.

About On3 NIL Valuation The On3 NIL Valuation is the industry’s leading index that sets high school and college athlete’s projected annual value (PAV).

So if you're talking about the number under NIL Value here...

image.png.00257a6efd97ee54fa2f0b53e74815a1.png

That's NOT what he got paid for that particular event (that would be the "Undisclosed" on the far right) but a Projected value...

Here are the NIL rankings, along with their current estimated value, as of this moment...

Look, I'm not trying to be an ass or rub anybody's face in it, but facts are valuable things to me...Nobody is going to pay a college kid over half a million bucks to come around for 2 hours and gladhand...Nobody...Like @mrflynn03said, it'll eventually be public knowledge, but not at this very moment...

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

About On3 NIL Valuation The On3 NIL Valuation is the industry’s leading index that sets high school and college athlete’s projected annual value (PAV).

So if you're talking about the number under NIL Value here...

image.png.00257a6efd97ee54fa2f0b53e74815a1.png

That's NOT what he got paid for that particular event (that would be the "Undisclosed" on the far right) but a Projected value...

Here are the NIL rankings, along with their current estimated value, as of this moment...

Look, I'm not trying to be an ass or rub anybody's face in it, but facts are valuable things to me...Nobody is going to pay a college kid over half a million bucks to come around for 2 hours and gladhand...Nobody...Like @mrflynn03said, it'll eventually be public knowledge, but not at this very moment...

That makes me feel a little better but they were still talking that TJD was getting six figures from his NIL deals.  What I have found for that event is worth about $10k, tops.  And I even think that is overvalued.

I just think fans tend to overvalue these guys for stuff like this. 

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

That makes me feel a little better but they were still talking that TJD was getting six figures from his NIL deals.  What I have found for that event is worth about $10k, tops.  And I even think that is overvalued.

I just think fans tend to overvalue these guys for stuff like this. 

That's simply his estimated value...He'll earn plenty on his Adidas deal...

And if they are being overvalued, like I said, it'll eventually even out...They won't be the first to be paid more than they're actually worth...

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I think sales metrics (😮) would prove you wrong there...If the IU bookstore has Indiana #23 jerseys, and it's the biggest seller they have, there's a reason for that...And Trayce should be able to benefit from it...

Put it this way would Zion Williamson  more with a Duke uniform on it if he went to the G league. If someone buys a #11 jersey is it for Gunn or maybe IT or Yogi

22 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Put it this way would Zion Williamson  more with a Duke uniform on it if he went to the G league. If someone buys a #11 jersey is it for Gunn or maybe IT or Yogi

Most who would want a jersey (kids) don't have any idea who IT is...Yogi, maybe...

But they're not playing at IU and haven't been for a while...I seriously doubt they would get frosted over CJ getting the money from a #11 IU jersey...They have money...

Or maybe we make people sign a sworn affidavit to who they bought the jersey in honor of, and split it up that way 🙄

19 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I don't think anyone is saying that the players shouldn't profit off of things like jersey sells. What most doesn't like is that it is essentially pay for pay   Was it Miami or Texas that all of their O lineman got $50,000

Addressed above...It was Texas...No different than what IU is doing with a collective...

25 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Going forward all numbers should be retired. When 2 digit number combinations are exhausted then move to 3 digit combinations.  I'm pretty sure between 2 and 3 digit combinations we would have enough for everyone's lifetime and 4 digit combinations won't be necessary.  

Easier just to add decimals. IT is 11, Yogi 11.1, etc

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

And that is the kind of thing we don't like seeing because it was pay for play and not NIL 

Did you even read it?

"Every Texas Longhorns offensive lineman on scholarship will get $50,000 annually for use of their name, image and likeness to support charitable causes, a new nonprofit entity announced Monday."

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Did you even read it?

"Every Texas Longhorns offensive lineman on scholarship will get $50,000 annually for use of their name, image and likeness to support charitable causes, a new nonprofit entity announced Monday."

You are either playing the devil's advocate or you are so naive to think these players are doing anything for this money.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

You are either playing the devil's advocate or you are so naive to think these players are doing anything for this money.

No, I simply believe that unless you have evidence to the contrary, you have no argument...

I don't think it's any secret that you don't like change, but the world is always changing...A lot of times for the good...

I'm not sure what those kids on the O Line at Texas have to do to fulfill their end of the bargain, but until I see authentication that something nefarious is going on, I view it in the same light as I do our collective...and it's already been verified that our athletes do have to participate in arranged activities to make money...

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

No, I simply believe that unless you have evidence to the contrary, you have no argument...

I don't think it's any secret that you don't like change, but the world is always changing...A lot of times for the good...

I'm not sure what those kids on the O Line at Texas have to do to fulfill their end of the bargain, but until I see authentication that something nefarious is going on, I view it in the same light as I do our collective...and it's already been verified that our athletes do have to participate in arranged activities to make money...

What's worse?  A semi charity that actually does charity work but also gives players cash?  Or shoe boxes of cash and no charity work?  The past was so much better.  So pure.  Amateurs.   True student athletes. Get your head out of the sand.   

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

What's worse?  A semi charity that actually does charity work but also gives players cash?  Or shoe boxes of cash and no charity work?  The past was so much better.  So pure.  Amateurs.   True student athletes. Get your head out of the sand.   

Image result for Sarcasm Meter GIF

Edited by IUFLA
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Don't mind change if it is for the good and lately haven't seen much good.  I would love to see a new arena and start an actual student section that goes all away around the first 10 rows.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Don't mind change if it is for the good and lately haven't seen much good.  I would love to see a new arena and start an actual student section that goes all away around the first 10 rows.

Scott, you take a lot of shots on here for clinging to the past, but there shouldn’t be any question that the quality of the game has declined significantly since the 70s-90s. For some time, with some of the changes, I felt they were operating on a healthy patient. Then it moved to a total failure of leadership at the NCAA, who became reactionary and failed to be proactive to shape changes. It started with allowing the NBA to dictate OAD rules to CBB and now the failure to create reasonable and enforceable NIL rules until it was too late. As a result, we now have pay to play and free agency with no restrictions. The old rules were totally slanted against the players, but now the pendulum has swung too far to the other side and it’s putting the product at risk. 

• Like 1