NIL, the AD, and where does the line get drawn (Hoosier Hysterics)

7 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

These third-party deals, the brief claims, “do not come close to restoring to college athletes the full value of their NILs.” It’s not as though Defendants do not have the means to share with athletes the billions of dollars in broadcast revenues."

Translation= it's eventually going to get blown up.  

I guess the share part is what irks me. If they want a peice of the pie they should be contractually bound to the school for a period of time. 

7 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I guess the share part is what irks me. If they want a peice of the pie they should be contractually bound to the school for a period of time. 

To me if they want part of the revenue then they should share in the expenses as well. No scholarship, no free food or training facilities, no free housing

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

this was brought up yesterday.  I'm sure Trayce would pay for his own food for a 5 million a year contract.  

Most players will not make that much or will the money be split evenly.  Also you can't just pay men's basketball and football players because the other scholarship athletes will want their share.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Most players will not make that much or will the money be split evenly.  Also you can't just pay men's basketball and football players because the other scholarship athletes will want their share.

in the future will conferences set a salary cap?  It's no wonder they want to keep things how they are.  Much easier for a coaching staff to have to deal with this revolving door of transfers and guys wanting money, than to try and figure out salaries of players as well.  What a mess.  

But again, it's based on value.  Trayce has by far the most value to the university over any other athlete on campus and it's not really that close.  Who's next, Tamar, Kopp,  XJ, JHS?  JHS will be bmoc next year if he sticks around.  

3 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

in the future will conferences set a salary cap?  It's no wonder they want to keep things how they are.  Much easier for a coaching staff to have to deal with this revolving door of transfers and guys wanting money, than to try and figure out salaries of players as well.  What a mess.  

But again, it's based on value.  Trayce has by far the most value to the university over any other athlete on campus and it's not really that close.  Who's next, Tamar, Kopp,  XJ, JHS?  JHS will be bmoc next year if he sticks around.  

If their is a huge disparity between what Ayers make can cause huge problems. Fran Frashilla tweeted out that there is already teams that are getting fractured because of NIL money. Sounds like it really effected Texas A&M football team because the recruits got all of this NIL money and the current didn't 

1 minute ago, mrflynn03 said:

I wonder if some lower revenue schools will get tired of the mess, say to hell with it and close programs down. UAB shut football down for a few years because of expenses. 

Probably what the power conferences want but it would kill college basketball. Not real interested in just watching a tournament that only features teams from 6 conferences 

• Like 1

Just now, IU Scott said:

If their is a huge disparity between what Ayers make can cause huge problems. Fran Frashilla tweeted out that there is already teams that are getting fractured because of NIL money. Sounds like it really effected Texas A&M football team because the recruits got all of this NIL money and the current didn't 

there is a huge disparity in what players make with NIL.  

there is a huge disparity in what players make with NIL.  

I know and it is causing problems. To me it is different with NIL because it is supposed to be what you can make off of your name but if it is revenue sharing the other players will want an even share 

Edited by IU Scott

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I know and it is causing problems. To me it is different with NIL because it is supposed to be what you can make off of your name but if it is revenue sharing the other players will want an even share 

Lebron is more valuable to the Lakers and everyone on his team knows it.  Are they jealous?  Maybe.  Get better, get paid more.  Like you have said.  This is turning into professional sports.  Players can put their big boys pants on or transfer to Ball St.  

• Like 1

Lebron is more valuable to the Lakers and everyone on his team knows it.  Are they jealous?  Maybe.  Get better, get paid more.  Like you have said.  This is turning into professional sports.  Players can put their big boys pants on or transfer to Ball St.  

Which is why it's so important to have a Head Coach like Coach Woodson. He's been dealing with salary discrepancies for decades at the NBA level. He knows as well as anyone how to not let that stuff ruin a team

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

To me what I don't care for is that all of these changes are for 1% club.  We are making all of these changes for a very few and it can hurt the other 99% of the athletes. Those 1% will be the ones going pro and will make the big money anyways so why make new rules for these kids.

If they get revenue sharing then that could eliminate a lot of the fringe benefits that athletes gets. How will they like it if teams can't afford to fly for games and now have to bus to the games.  It will be fun to get busing up to Minnesota and Wisconsin in the middle of the winter.

There are a few things I worry about with directly paying the players...

How do you make a kid making a couple of mil a year go to class? If they aren't going to be students, I really think this is a farce...

How are you going to keep competitive balance? The league with the best TV contract will have the best players, even sitting on the bench...

2 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

I don't disagree.  The hey day in the 70's and even 80's looks amazing, pure for the most part.  Made this state legendary.  

Now going forward.  It's an arms race.  OSU will still out spend us in NIL but we can spend all of our extra money in facilities and all the other legal extras instead of 25.5 million of athletic money going towards flipping geology buildings.  

If they don’t invest in geology, where are we going to get our fossil fuels from? dws sort of 

5 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express! Actually, my Uncle was a geologist working for BP in Canada.

I was considering geology as a major but didn't want to live out west and play with rocks for a living. If I only knew!

One of the reasons I like the show Big Bang Theory is because they make fun of the hierarchy in sciences. All the different specialties sling mud at each other. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I was considering geology as a major but didn't want to live out west and play with rocks for a living. If I only knew!

One of the reasons I like the show Big Bang Theory is because they make fun of the hierarchy in sciences. All the different specialties sling mud at each other. 

My fraternity brother and Godfather to my son, his son has a job I envy! He is an oceanographic biologist! Spending quality time out and in the ocean!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

The reason I liked the Big Bang Theory was Penny.

• Like 3

On 12/15/2022 at 3:50 PM, Maedhros said:

Why? College athletics are a billion dollar industry. What should a $50K write off matter at all?

In the resistance to NIL, I've always wondered: is there an argument for players not receiving money that isn't just some variation of "that's how it's always been"? If we were building it all from scratch, would anyone actually suggest Trayce Jackson-Davis play for a coach making several millions of dollars, at an organization that signed a media rights deal for over a billion dollars, and think it fair that he be compensated only in tuition, room and board? Anyone judging that structure would think it corrupt as hell. But because that's how we started it'll take change to get to something better, and change is hard for some.

For myself, I truly don't understand the problem some have with Trayce Jackson-Davis receiving the money other people want to give him. If the NCAA had never made it a rule, would there be an issue at all? We all know the NCAA sucks, and post about it often, except for in this one area. The only reason for such support seems to be because it's the status quo, and the status quo is comfortable.

What is the going rate for G-League players who are expected to never hit the league.  I like Jackson-Davis, seems like a good kid, but he isn't an NBA player.

The standard pay for a G League player is $37,000.  TJD could probably go to Europe where the best players make $10,000+ a month but that is the best of the best.  High is $4,000 to $9,999 a month.  

https://www.josecolorado.com/overseas-basketball-salaries

The best kids should go straight to the NBA.  Those who don't are already being compensated as much or more than they are likely to make with their scholarships and benefits.  Finally, most of these kids' marketability is directly related to the name of the school across their chest.  Kids at Indiana or Kentucky or North Carolina will pull dollars because the fans of those schools want a good school team.  They don't give a real crap about who the players are as long as the team wins.

I think that if players are paid by the school A)the schools are no longer not for profit and as such every dollar they take in should be taxed (including the donated money) and B)because of that the schools should walk away from this entire model.  The kids would be begging to go back in under 4 years because 99% of them would not only have no real income, the vast majority of them would have either no degree or the same debt as all the other schmucks they are hitting up to donate to their NIL.

• Like 2

On 12/16/2022 at 1:57 PM, NotIThatLives said:

I don't disagree.  The hey day in the 70's and even 80's looks amazing, pure for the most part.  Made this state legendary.  

Now going forward.  It's an arms race.  OSU will still out spend us in NIL but we can spend all of our extra money in facilities and all the other legal extras instead of 25.5 million of athletic money going towards flipping geology buildings.  

Flipping Geology buildings is (one of) the points of Indiana University, not guys who can throw a ball through a metal hoop.  If the basketball arenas went away tomorrow, the world would move along just fine.  If we lost all the academic buildings in the world, it would have a deleterious impact on society.

I have stopped giving to Indiana.  I don't even get the extra $40 or whatever license plate anymore.  They overcharge students, make money hand over fist, then come back begging for money.  And now they want me to kick in extra money so that we can field a team that wilts in way too many games that mean anything.  I have to donate for the players.  I have to pay extra for the privelege to watch on TV.  I have to pay scalpers a buttload to get good seats live against any team with a pulse.  If I don't want to do that, I have to donate for the privelege to buy season tickets.  HFG can kiss my @$$ coming with their hands out to pay these kids hundreds of thousands of dollars to get beat by 20 points at Kansas. 

College ball has become a vastly inferior product to the NBA anymore.  The main teams don't run any interesting systems anymore.  It is all the same junk.  And the players may be athletic and look like body builders but most of them kind of suck at actually playing the game.  40 minute games of 38% shooting where the final score is 68 to 59 is not exactly exciting.  The ONLY reason we pay it as much attention as we do anymore is because most of us grew up in the Knight era or the shadow of it.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Flipping Geology buildings is (one of) the points of Indiana University, not guys who can throw a ball through a metal hoop.  If the basketball arenas went away tomorrow, the world would move along just fine.  If we lost all the academic buildings in the world, it would have a deleterious impact on society.

I have stopped giving to Indiana.  I don't even get the extra $40 or whatever license plate anymore.  They overcharge students, make money hand over fist, then come back begging for money.  And now they want me to kick in extra money so that we can field a team that wilts in way too many games that mean anything.  I have to donate for the players.  I have to pay extra for the privelege to watch on TV.  I have to pay scalpers a buttload to get good seats live against any team with a pulse.  If I don't want to do that, I have to donate for the privelege to buy season tickets.  HFG can kiss my @$$ coming with their hands out to pay these kids hundreds of thousands of dollars to get beat by 20 points at Kansas. 

College ball has become a vastly inferior product to the NBA anymore.  The main teams don't run any interesting systems anymore.  It is all the same junk.  And the players may be athletic and look like body builders but most of them kind of suck at actually playing the game.  40 minute games of 38% shooting where the final score is 68 to 59 is not exactly exciting.  The ONLY reason we pay it as much attention as we do anymore is because most of us grew up in the Knight era or the shadow of it.  

If you're looking for something to do with all that money that used to go to IU, I have some alimony payments you can contribute to.

• Haha 1