NIL, the AD, and where does the line get drawn (Hoosier Hysterics)

3 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

The NCAA and MLB established the three year rule for baseball. Could have done the same for basketball 

I think that's the model, and I'd definitely like to see something along those lines implemented, but the NCAA would need a willing partner, and I'm not sure the NBA would be as complicit as MLB was... 

It's basically the professional leagues call... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Scott, you take a lot of shots on here for clinging to the past, but there shouldn’t be any question that the quality of the game has declined significantly since the 70s-90s. For some time, with some of the changes, I felt they were operating on a healthy patient. Then it moved to a total failure of leadership at the NCAA, who became reactionary and failed to be proactive to shape changes. It started with allowing the NBA to dictate OAD rules to CBB and now the failure to create reasonable and enforceable NIL rules until it was too late. As a result, we now have pay to play and free agency with no restrictions. The old rules were totally slanted against the players, but now the pendulum has swung too far to the other side and it’s putting the product at risk. 

To me these changes has really hurt college basketball.

30 second clock, was perfect at 45 

Analytics, taking away the mid range game. Replying on 3's and layups 

NIL and the portal 

Going to the NBA style of offense with little off the ball screens and player movement and to much dribbling.

1 minute ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Players who have no interest in CBB or  academics go to the G League or international ball. Those who enroll in college will be there for 3 years, although with unrestricted transfers, it’s less meaningful than it once was. 

Ok, but in this day and age, what kind of product are you going to put on the floor?

I don't know many kids that are going to want to play on "freshmen teams" like they did back in the day...We wouldn't have JHS or Malik, and I'm not sure even Purdue would have Smith or Loyer... 

I'm not trying to be obstinate, but just curious about the options here... 

22 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Ok, but in this day and age, what kind of product are you going to put on the floor?

I don't know many kids that are going to want to play on "freshmen teams" like they did back in the day...We wouldn't have JHS or Malik, and I'm not sure even Purdue would have Smith or Loyer... 

I'm not trying to be obstinate, but just curious about the options here... 

Smith and Loyer would still go to college with those rules. I like watching mid majors teams like Belmont and Davidson and if those were players playing at top schools I would be alright with that 

15 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Smith and Loyer would still go to college with those rules. I like watching mid majors teams like Belmont and Davidson and if those were players playing at top schools I would be alright with that 

I'm not so sure any talented kid would want to play in basically meaningless games while going to school... How many kids redshirt?

But, that's all hypothetical...

As for your second statement, you'd pretty much have to be happy with that... I know we all have allegiance to IU, but people who wanted to see basketball talent would probably prefer G League... Which would grow quite a bit if college basketball talent was syphoned off... 

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

I'm not so sure any talented kid would want to play in basically meaningless games while going to school... How many kids redshirt?

But, that's all hypothetical...

As for your second statement, you'd pretty much have to be happy with that... I know we all have allegiance to IU, but people who wanted to see basketball talent would probably prefer G League... Which would grow quite a bit if college basketball talent was syphoned off... 

Totally disagree because as long as your team is winning they will still cheer for the name on the front of the jersey.  That is why I think that the university sells over individual players.  I think you over estimate how many kids who would skip school to go to G league if they have to stay 3 years.  I would say the majority of the Purdue team wod still go to college

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Totally disagree because as long as your team is winning they will still cheer for the name on the front of the jersey.  That is why I think that the university sells over individual players.  I think you over estimate how many kids who would skip school to go to G league if they have to stay 3 years.  I would say the majority of the Purdue team wod still go to college

We'll agree to disagree then...

It's not going to happen anyway. No way in my estimation the NCAA goes back to that rule...

If/when the OAD rule goes by the wayside, I think we'll have a few years of turbulence... But with the money they make now, I'm thinking the NCAA is happy with the status quo... 

Just now, IUFLA said:

We'll agree to disagree then...

It's not going to happen anyway. No way in my estimation the NCAA goes back to that rule...

If/when the OAD rule goes by the wayside, I think we'll have a few years of turbulence... But with the money they make now, I'm thinking the NCAA is happy with the status quo... 

Right now college baseball is as popular than it has ever been. Before most of the top draft picks were high school players but today more than half of the first round picks comes from college.  It appears more and more top high school players are choosing to go to college.

15 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Right now college baseball is as popular than it has ever been. Before most of the top draft picks were high school players but today more than half of the first round picks comes from college.  It appears more and more top high school players are choosing to go to college.

What?

They're going to college because it's the most viable option for most of them since the NBA age limit of 19 kicked in...

Only 3 high schoolers have ever been the #1 overall (Kwame Brown, LeBron James, and Dwight Howard) and only 41 have been drafted overall.

Unless I'm misunderstanding the point you're making... 

35 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

What?

They're going to college because it's the most viable option for most of them since the NBA age limit of 19 kicked in...

Only 3 high schoolers have ever been the #1 overall (Kwame Brown, LeBron James, and Dwight Howard) and only 41 have been drafted overall.

Unless I'm misunderstanding the point you're making... 

I am talking about baseball and the 3 year rule.  You said if basketball implemented that rule that most good players wouldn't go to college. I pointed out the baseball draft because it shows that top baseball players are going to college and it would happen in basketball as well

36 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am talking about baseball and the 3 year rule.  You said if basketball implemented that rule that most good players wouldn't go to college. I pointed out the baseball draft because it shows that top baseball players are going to college and it would happen in basketball as well

No, I said that if the NCAA made freshmen ineligible that I didn't think a lot of talented kids would go to college... They'd pick Elite or some other avenue...

I'd love to see the NBA and NCAA get together on a plan like MLB and the NCAA have... But the NBA has to drive that... 

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

No, I said that if the NCAA made freshmen ineligible that I didn't think a lot of talented kids would go to college... They'd pick Elite or some other avenue...

I'd love to see the NBA and NCAA get together on a plan like MLB and the NCAA have... But the NBA has to drive that... 

My bad, no doubt the very top players or one and dones wouldn't go to college if freshman was ineligible.

This is about football but shows how out of hand the NIL and the portal is getting.

Pitt Head Coach Pat Narduzzi says on 

@937theFan

that he's heard 2 schools offered UNC QB Drake Maye $5 million to transfer. Wont's say who. But he knows who. Wow. Says it's gotten out of control and it's only going to get worse. Quote: "It's a sad, sad deal."

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

This is about football but shows how out of hand the NIL and the portal is getting.

Pitt Head Coach Pat Narduzzi says on 

@937theFan

that he's heard 2 schools offered UNC QB Drake Maye $5 million to transfer. Wont's say who. But he knows who. Wow. Says it's gotten out of control and it's only going to get worse. Quote: "It's a sad, sad deal."

This from TX-SA coach:

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

This from TX-SA coach:

That's a portal problem moreso than NIL.  Even without money, you would probably have assistants from bigger schools trying to poach the best guys from smaller schools since there is zero penalty to transfer.

With players getting paid now, they need to reinstate eligibility rules around transferring.

• Like 1