NIL, the AD, and where does the line get drawn (Hoosier Hysterics)

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

If a little bored on Christmas late day....check out the horrible benefits of NIL with what Anthony Leal did today for his sister. It's on twitter.

2 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Just coming to post about this. That’s a good dude. 

We have some really awesome kids on our roster...

I know Anthony probably won't get a lot of minutes this year, but it's my sincerest wish that he can get at least one shining moment and be the reason for a big win...

He certainly deserves that... 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

We have some really awesome kids on our roster...

I know Anthony probably won't get a lot of minutes this year, but it's my sincerest wish that he can get at least one shining moment and be the reason for a big win...

He certainly deserves that... 

No clue what the kid will do after basketball but I can guarantee he will have plenty of opportunities. Shoot I'd hire him if I thought I could afford him. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I wonder why @Purdue7 took down his post saying if JHS didn't have a promotional deal (for his gifting of the Bose headphones to his teammates) he'd be disappointed...

Maybe he had a "promotional deal" to ride around and give Jordans to down-on-their-luck barefoot women, too, eh sport? 

Didn’t want to anger anyone 

just seems like SWAG companies give away at bowl games 

if he paid retail….he needs a better agent 

10 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

Watched part of the DePaul/Creighton game (regular BE game at Creighton, so not any type of holiday tourney). They showed the players on both teams getting new street sneakers before the game. I guess it was because they played on Christmas day?

21 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

Doesn't matter how he got them (short of stealing of course)... In fact, he is in a partnership with Bose... And I'm sure they expect something from his end... 

A good kid doing a good thing...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, IUFLA said:

"Some folks have negative opinions about NIL."

Wonder what those Scrooges think after seeing the JHS and Anthony Leal stuff

I have issues with SOME of how NIL is being handled right now.  I think this was a really sweet thing to do for his sister.  He has a full ride at Indiana and is going to leave with a degree and connections, paying that forward to a sibling that did not have that is a really nice gesture.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I have issues with SOME of how NIL is being handled right now.  I think this was a really sweet thing to do for his sister.  He has a full ride at Indiana and is going to leave with a degree and connections, paying that forward to a sibling that did not have that is a really nice gesture.

💯 I think he’s playing the long game 

He knows what an IU degree and basketball combo can do 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Doesn't matter how he got them (short of stealing of course)... In fact, he is in a partnership with Bose... And I'm sure they expect something from his end... 

Agree with everything you said 

just not sure this means NIL is good and this shows leadership 

2 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

Agree with everything you said 

just not sure this means NIL is good and this shows leadership 

I'm sure if a company used your "name, image, and/or likeness" and was making billions of dollars doing so, you'd say "oh, that's fine!" 🙄 

Leaders bring people together to work toward a common cause...Jalen didn't have to do what he did... He could have been compensated in the partnership in numerous ways, but he chose to spread the cheer with his teammates...

He'll get more out of his leadership abilities on what he does on and off the floor... But your teammates knowing that you're selfless when it comes to the team sure doesn't hurt... 

15 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I'm sure if a company used your "name, image, and/or likeness" and was making billions of dollars doing so, you'd say "oh, that's fine!" 🙄 

Leaders bring people together to work toward a common cause...Jalen didn't have to do what he did... He could have been compensated in the partnership in numerous ways, but he chose to spread the cheer with his teammates...

He'll get more out of his leadership abilities on what he does on and off the floor... But your teammates knowing that you're selfless when it comes to the team sure doesn't hurt... 

Trying to imagine the company who would use my NIL 😳🥱

No need for trinkets….he show’s leadership on the court.  Doesn’t hunt shots or force things offensively 

needs to improve defense and play harder but what freshman doesn’t 

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I doubt that was a promotional move on his part. If it was, it was a terrible video for it as they don't make easy to see what he's giving out. 1 person quickly mentions that they're Bose in a way that is easily missed. No closeup of the box or anything. I had to watch it a couple of times and turn up the volume to figure out what they were.

Terrible commercial if that was that was the intent. More likely is just an awesome move on the part of JHS and pretty cynical of those who think otherwise.

Edited by go_iu_bb

14 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

Trying to imagine the company who would use my NIL 😳🥱

No need for trinkets….he show’s leadership on the court.  Doesn’t hunt shots or force things offensively 

needs to improve defense and play harder but what freshman doesn’t 

Maybe to scare dogs off the meat truck?

It's called "team building." Look it up...

Maybe Edey should give each teammate a shoe and they could canoe down the Wabash together :D 

9 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

I doubt that was a promotional move on his part. If it was, it was a terrible video for it as they don't make easy to see what he's giving out. 1 person quickly mentions in an easily missed way that they're Bose in a way that is easily missed. No closeup of the box or anything. I had to watch it a couple of times and turn up the volume to figure out what they were.

Terrible commercial if that was that was the intent. More likely is just an awesome move on the part of JHS and pretty cynical 0f those who think otherwise.

No, you're right...the video wasn't meant to be the payoff to Bose...But he does have a partnership with them...

And you're right, doesn't diminish his gesture at all

Edited by IUFLA

On 12/22/2022 at 10:17 AM, mrflynn03 said:

That could potentially affect their parents ability to claim them as dependents.  Which screws up their w4 claims. 

Idiotic on multiple levels. 

I'm not familiar with tax law, so perhaps you can help me understand. 

Why would this impact a parent's ability to claim the kid as a dependent?

I worked -- and was paid -- throughout high school in the state of Illinois and my parents had no issue claiming me as a dependent. 

How is it that kids getting paid for their NIL while in high school would negatively impact dependent status, but working as a custodian, grocery bagger, farm-hand, etc. does not? 

55 minutes ago, PNWHoosier said:

I'm not familiar with tax law, so perhaps you can help me understand. 

Why would this impact a parent's ability to claim the kid as a dependent?

I worked -- and was paid -- throughout high school in the state of Illinois and my parents had no issue claiming me as a dependent. 

How is it that kids getting paid for their NIL while in high school would negatively impact dependent status, but working as a custodian, grocery bagger, farm-hand, etc. does not? 

There are rules for qualifying as a dependent.  The parent would need to show they provide more than half of a dependent child's needs.  I would imagine kids getting NIL money would far exceed minimum wage. 

7 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

There are rules for qualifying as a dependent.  The parent would need to show they provide more than half of a dependent child's needs.  I would imagine kids getting NIL money would far exceed minimum wage. 

Whatever the parents lose by losing a dependent is far offset by not having someone dependent on them, no?

• Like 2