NIL, the AD, and where does the line get drawn (Hoosier Hysterics)

On 3/13/2024 at 1:16 PM, Seeking6 said:

With Saban going on his soapbox yesterday crying about NIL stuff it got me thinking. Besides the potential revenue sharing ideas that have been floated....and maybe revenue sharing if the teams make the tourney,etc....what if the NCAA went the opposite to try and corral the portal. Offer some figure where if a kid stays years with same team, graduates they are eligible for some bonus? Have it jointly paid by school collectives and the billions the NCAA has in their warchest.

Now the amount has to be substantial enough to make them stay and maybe that would be a deterrent from kids job hopping. 

Kind of like a retention bonus here in the "real" world. 

I don't think there's any rule against putting that in an NIL deal.  You get paid X per year, but if you stay for two years, you get Y, three years and you get Z, etc etc. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

FedEx has announced a massive $25 million name, image and likeness investment in Memphis athletics that will fund $5 million in NIL contracts over each of the next five years in key sports while promoting the company. The deal is believed to be the biggest corporate NIL partnership of its type in college athletics. 

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/fedex-to-fund-25-million-for-memphis-nil-in-whats-believed-to-be-largest-corporate-partnership-with-athletes/

1 minute ago, 13th&Jackson said:

FedEx has announced a massive $25 million name, image and likeness investment in Memphis athletics that will fund $5 million in NIL contracts over each of the next five years in key sports while promoting the company. The deal is believed to be the biggest corporate NIL partnership of its type in college athletics. 

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/fedex-to-fund-25-million-for-memphis-nil-in-whats-believed-to-be-largest-corporate-partnership-with-athletes/

I read that and I was like 5mil? That’s like two football players and a basketball player to be named later?🤷‍♂️

38 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

In related news WalMart has announced a $1M annual recurring donation to Arkansas athletics. 

This partnership will fund the annual budget for John Calipari's hair gel. 

• Haha 3

49 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

I read that and I was like 5mil? That’s like two football players and a basketball player to be named later?🤷‍♂️

This may not seem like much now, but in 10 years where does IU stand to the likes of corporate NIL deals in bigger cities?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

This may not seem like much now, but in 10 years where does IU stand to the likes of corporate NIL deals in bigger cities?

Who knows what the NIL landscape is going to look like in 2 years, let alone 10?

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I didn't want to post this in any of the other threads so I'll throw it here. First...I absolutely don't like the current NIL model and what college sports has become recruiting wise. Secondly...I'd prefer for us to not have to do an offseason like this one again if we can. I mean I know we'll always be adding 1-2 portal guys but hopefully no more.

Finally my point though. Huge kudos and congrats to all of us who donate $ to help our NIL program. Whether it's $50, $5000 or $50,000 we all helped in some fashion in nailing this portal season. Was out having beers with buddies yesterday and one of them is a Carolina guy. His buddy is a Duke guy who hauled with the "IU just buying a team" stuff. Before I could inject my two cents the Carolina guy says....slow that down. He goes in the NIL world if there was one sleeping giant out there most knew it was IU. They are just now able to play the game we've all been playing for decades.

Thought people might like to hear some outsiders perspective.

Two things can be simultaneously true. You can hate the NIL/portal landscape AND be happy IU is taking full advantage of it.   I identify with both of those positions. 

I read this somewhere and have stole it and posted it many times. You can build a team through the portal, but you can’t build a program through the portal. We seem to have built a team this offseason, I just hope it translates into building a program. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Two things can be simultaneously true. You can hate the NIL/portal landscape AND be happy IU is taking full advantage of it.   I identify with both of those positions. 

I read this somewhere and have stole it and posted it many times. You can build a team through the portal, but you can’t build a program through the portal. We seem to have built a team this offseason, I just hope it translates into building a program. 

Very fair for sure and for the most part I agree....although until the NIL is figured out would you rather spend resources on a proven 2-3 year vet or a top 30 kid out of high school? I know the blend is what I want but not sure what's possible anymore.

4 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Great post.  I'm right there with you.  I absolutely hate the NIL and the farce it makes of amateur sports, but since it's not going away, I'm at least appreciative of how it's leveled the playing field and taken away the biggest cheating element in college sports.  I find it laughable that the NCAA has a tampering "rule" that appears even less effective than the pro version.

Now, all that's left is to eliminate the requirement for the athletes to attend classes.  Let the ones go that want to and let the rest stay in the gym.  If you require ANY class,it should be of the personal finance variety.  Help these kids hang onto the money they make and otherwise, let them learn their sport.  It's silly to pretend that most of these elite athletes have any interest in the classroom. Eventually,  I could see teams only affiliated to schools via sponsorship.

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Very fair for sure and for the most part I agree....although until the NIL is figured out would you rather spend resources on a proven 2-3 year vet or a top 30 kid out of high school? I know the blend is what I want but not sure what's possible anymore.

As long as we are striving for the blend and not falling into the portal or bust trap, I can live with the results. That’s why the guy I am the most excited about coming in is the true freshman who’s name escapes me now. We need the Wares and Rices, that’s modern college basketball. I still believe we need the Sisleys and Mullins too, the 3-4 year guys you build culture and stability with. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

As long as we are striving for the blend and not falling into the portal or bust trap, I can live with the results. That’s why the guy I am the most excited about coming in is the true freshman who’s name escapes me now. We need the Wares and Rices, that’s modern college basketball. I still believe we need the Sisleys and Mullins too, the 3-4 year guys you build culture and stability with. 

Since they really can't control NIL, I look for them to try to exert more control over the portal and transfers...I think they'll get plenty of support from coaches and administrators on that...

Until the first lawsuit :) 

• Like 1