Hoosier Football: 2022 Season

rico

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Darn good point.  Not many probably, but the spread either way shouldn’t be very high for Cincinnati, Nebraska, Rutgers, Maryland and maybe MSU.   

Our next game will go a long way in determining how Vegas views us considering spreads.  But right here, right now I can't imagine the oddsmakers being bullish on us.

• Like 1

In zero of our games I would say we’ve looked like a good, well rounded football team… that’s concerning. That being said, we haven’t played our best football but have shown up when needed and are 3-0. 

I think you can see flashes of a good team. When it’s do or die time, our guys seem to know how to lock in and get the job done. 

@Cincy is clearly a big game. I don’t think anyone knows exactly what to make of this team, and while I think Illinois and Western Kentucky are both solid teams, Cincinnati will be a step up and we will need to be significantly better than we’ve been so far this season.

Is this the week we do it, or is that just the kind of team we are? A team with talent but just can’t put it all together with a lot of guys with “potential” but might just not ever realize it? 

The trenches are certainly an issue. I like Benson at RG significantly more than Weaver. Loved how much the start meant to Murphy at center but really hope Carpenter’s injury is short term or that Knight is back next week…. Because I saw him getting blown off the ball on a few plays vs WKU which does not bode well for his ability to handle Cincinnati and Big Ten lines. 

Same issue defensively, I like our secondary and line backing core but not sold on anyone on the defensive line (outside of maybe Tevis, he’s been solid this season). If we are going to hang tough and try to beat Cincinnati, that’s where the biggest improvement needs to be. 

Edited by IndyHoosier22
  • Like 1

On 9/18/2022 at 8:25 AM, rico said:

@ Cincinnati

@ Nebraska

Michigan

Maryland

@ Rutgers

Penn State

@ Ohio State

@ Michigan State

Purdue

5-4 would mean "stealing" one imo.  But I would take 5-4 in a heartbeat.

Is there any good reason we can't beat Nebraska, Rutgers and Maryland?

@ Cincinnati

@ Nebraska

Michigan

Maryland

@ Rutgers

Penn State

@ Ohio State

@ Michigan State

Purdue

@ Cincinnati

@ Nebraska

Michigan

Maryland

@ Rutgers

Penn State

@ Ohio State

@ Michigan State

Purdue

@ Cincinnati

@ Nebraska

Michigan

Maryland

@ Rutgers

Penn State

@ Ohio State

@ Michigan State

Purdue

Is there any good reason why we can’t beat Nebraska, Rutgers and Maryland?

Just now, IUguy said:

Sorry, but I can't see how we should lose or be underdogs to Nebraska this year.  Guess we'll see about the other two.

As it stands right now, we would be lucky to be a pick'em @ Nebraska imo.  Home wins in the B1G are hard enough for us to come by let alone playing on the road.

• Like 1

I know we've all hammered down on Coach Hiller (rightfully so) and Coach Allen to a lesser extent for putting a personal allegiance ahead of performance, but should a change happen, where does IU go? And what kind of turnaround is possible with the OL?

This most recent recruiting class is small by design, and that is likely a result of the need to make room for the transfer portal. Is this a unit that can be revamped/upgraded in a substantial way in one year?

On 9/27/2022 at 2:00 PM, MoyeCowbell said:

I know we've all hammered down on Coach Hiller (rightfully so) and Coach Allen to a lesser extent for putting a personal allegiance ahead of performance, but should a change happen, where does IU go? And what kind of turnaround is possible with the OL?

This most recent recruiting class is small by design, and that is likely a result of the need to make room for the transfer portal. Is this a unit that can be revamped/upgraded in a substantial way in one year?

Good questions.  We have recruited some decent prospects. Next year we have a legit center recruit from Florida (Larkins), an OT with a good frame at 6’7 (Barrett) and Jeffries from Tenn who may end up a guard. All 3 have solid recruiting rankings.  Our numbers with recruiting the past few years are pretty high, with a number of good prospects.  Last year we brought in Bray Lynch who Allen loves.  Carter Smith is a very good athlete and DJ Moore is a guard from Ft  Wayne and those guys came in well regarded.  Go back another year and you have Khalil Benson and Josh Sales already starting to play.  These are all solid prospects and there a bunch of other guys in the fold who could also emerge.

The pivotal thing will be player development and getting kids into their optimal spots. Not all prospects put it together, but we have brought in good numbers of guys with decent athleticism going forward.  Then you need a unit that plays well together.  There is so much interplay and coordination among on O-line and this all has to get better.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno

Generally speaking, I've liked the pace that Walt Bell has tried to implement on offense. In comparison to last year, there is at the very least, a pulse now. 

The challenge now is playing at the correct speed that allows Bazelak to throw with some sense of poise and comfort. He's not a high completion percentage guy at baseline, and those numbers decrease substantially when he's under pressure.

I'm not sure if it's a fitness thing with the OL, but there *could* be an element of fatigue that impacts the technical/fundamentals, resulting in breakdowns and QB pressures.

11 hours ago, MoyeCowbell said:

Generally speaking, I've liked the pace that Walt Bell has tried to implement on offense. In comparison to last year, there is at the very least, a pulse now. 

The challenge now is playing at the correct speed that allows Bazelak to throw with some sense of poise and comfort. He's not a high completion percentage guy at baseline, and those numbers decrease substantially when he's under pressure.

I'm not sure if it's a fitness thing with the OL, but there *could* be an element of fatigue that impacts the technical/fundamentals, resulting in breakdowns and QB pressures.

Good points.  Maybe we can have a candid discussion after the season. I am doing my best to hold back my true views in-season. 

Just pointing out - of the 4 teams we've faced thus far, these are their combined losses as of right now to teams that aren't us:

Washington State

Arkansas

We really need to take care of business today. Just playing steady with no mistakes should net a win, but we have yet to see that consistency. I hope today is the day.