IUBB 22/‘23

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I tend to side with @RoadToZion on this...After the Penn State game, people were losing their minds, saying Woody lost the team, and they weren't listening, ect...He's just saying that wasn't the issue...And I 100% agree...There is no "magic switch" Coach Woodson flipped...it's a time matter...Kids get use to new roles, and they play better...Simple as that...

People were literally calling coach lazy.  Called out the assistants as worthless and only recruiters, asking what are they doing, player development blah blah blah.  Called our director of administration sleepy.  

It was embarrassing and so was the effort and execution by the players and coaches.  Good thing is they stepped up.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Stop there.  That was my entire point.  We should have been better those two games.  Period.

That's fair, but this is college basketball. Most good teams, even elite teams, have stretches where they struggle even when they're fully healthy. That doesn't mean that all of those teams have players who aren't listening and coaches that don't know what they're doing.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kdug said:

That's fair, but this is college basketball. Most good teams, even elite teams, have stretches where they struggle even when they're fully healthy. That doesn't mean that all of those teams have players who aren't listening and coaches that don't know what they're doing.

Exactly right. We had a bad stretch. Every season has them. Bob Knight teams had them. Not to go all IU Scott, but even the championship '81 team fell out of the polls after losing back to back games to Clemson and Texas Rio Grande Valley, a school I didn't know existed until just now while browsing Sports Reference. That school beat Isaih Thomas, Ray Tolbert & Randy Wittman. It's probably not the end of the world if a few Big Ten teams beat Trayce Jackson-Davis and Jalen Hood-Schifino

I know, I'll hear 'it's not THAT we lost, it's WAY we lost'. Nah. Losing always feels bad in the moment. The team that gave up a big lead to Iowa is the same one that built that lead in the first place. The team that got down big against Northwestern fought to bring the final margin down to one. There was fight there, but the results will always leave you frustrated regardless. The wheels came off at Penn State, but what of it? Gonzaga just lost at home to Loyola Marymount. Sometimes the wheels come off.

I'll readily admit we played poorly in those games. But a three game stretch in the Big Ten was never going to define our season unless we let it.  It felt weird then to see so many ready to throw in the towel on the season, or this coach. 

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

Exactly right. We had a bad stretch. Every season has them. Bob Knight teams had them. Not to go all IU Scott, but even the championship '81 team fell out of the polls after losing back to back games to Clemson and Texas Rio Grande Valley, a school I didn't know existed until just now while browsing Sports Reference. That school beat Isaih Thomas, Ray Tolbert & Randy Wittman. It's probably not the end of the world if a few Big Ten teams beat Trayce Jackson-Davis and Jalen Hood-Schifino

I know, I'll hear 'it's not THAT we lost, it's WAY we lost'. Nah. Losing always feels bad in the moment. The team that gave up a big lead to Iowa is the same one that built that lead in the first place. The team that got down big against Northwestern fought to bring the final margin down to one. There was fight there, but the results will always leave you frustrated regardless. The wheels came off at Penn State, but what of it? Gonzaga just lost at home to Loyola Marymount. Sometimes the wheels come off.

I'll readily admit we played poorly in those games. But a three game stretch in the Big Ten was never going to define our season unless we let it.  It felt weird then to see so many ready to throw in the towel on the season, or this coach. 

Man sports reference is great

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

X 1,000,000,000

1 hour ago, Maedhros said:

Pretty sure it was Texas Pan American 

1 hour ago, Maedhros said:

All fair statements.  There's a reason I usually stay away from fan forums when IU is playing poorly.  It's hard to be a big fan of the program and stay rational when it feels like the wheels are coming off.  I still chalk a lot of poor play up to mental softness, which can come and go when you're dealing with kids.  I hate that it took three bad games to get a needed wake-up call, but it's good to see Trayce showing leadership and playing well.  Hope these guys can maintain that mentally hard edge down the stretch.

I have not read all of the dialogue in the last 3 pages.  But, I kind of get the gist of the discussion and will say this.  While many fans were over the top in the panic and criticism, I do think in this case, the fan dissension actually helped.  If the struggles this team went through happened at a place that doesn't care as much about basketball as the Hoosier State does (Texas, for example), I'm not sure the team bounces back as it has.  I personally think both the players and the coaches used the fan dissent as motivation, come together, and rally around it.  

We can put our head in the sand and say otherwise, but there were real issues beyond the injuries that had this team struggling.

14 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

DeCoursey said it’s almost beyond explanation that the same core group of players who allowed 90ppg over three games put in the defensive performances against WI and IL just a few days later 

"The mental is to the physical as 2 is to 1."  RMK

19 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

We can put our head in the sand and say otherwise, but there were real issues beyond the injuries that had this team struggling.

So I'm really interested in what people who have this mindset think the problem was, and what Mike Woodson did to fix it...

He didn't change the lineup or the sub patterns... 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I have not read all of the dialogue in the last 3 pages.  But, I kind of get the gist of the discussion and will say this.  While many fans were over the top in the panic and criticism, I do think in this case, the fan dissension actually helped.  If the struggles this team went through happened at a place that doesn't care as much about basketball as the Hoosier State does (Texas, for example), I'm not sure the team bounces back as it has.  I personally think both the players and the coaches used the fan dissent as motivation, come together, and rally around it.  

Can you elaborate a bit how our fans get credit? I’m not sure I’m connecting the dots on what we did.

Did @IU Scottbust out some analytics to share with the staff?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

So I'm really interested in what people who have this mindset think the problem was, and what Mike Woodson did to fix it...

He didn't change the lineup or the sub patterns... 

A couple obvious things. We pressured the perimeter and made it much more difficult for the opponents to run their offense. The IL game looked like the UNC game in that regard. They stopped over helping which led to wide open shooters 

2 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

A couple obvious things. We pressured the perimeter and made it much more difficult for the opponents to run their offense. The IL game looked like the UNC game in that regard. They stopped over helping which led to wide open shooters 

But how did the fans cause that? We already know the players weren’t listening previously, so it’s not like we have reason to think our coaches stopped wanting that.

I think there’s a lot of merit to certain guys needing to learn what playing hard and focused when you’re a starter really means. I think it’s disappointing it took things getting so bad for them to learn it and think it’s fair to put some of the blame on the coaching staff. Coaches are ultimately responsible for getting through to their players. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

DeCoursey said it’s almost beyond explanation that the same core group of players who allowed 90ppg over three games put in the defensive performances against WI and IL just a few days later 

You mean the explanation of having two starters out and the team needing some time to adjust to new roles and lineups? 

Yeah, what a mystery, Mike.

• Like 5

Just now, KoB2011 said:

But how did the fans cause that? We already know the players weren’t listening previously, so it’s not like we have reason to think our coaches stopped wanting that.

I think there’s a lot of merit to certain guys needing to learn what playing hard and focused when you’re a starter really means. I think it’s disappointing it took things getting so bad for them to learn it and think it’s fair to put some of the blame on the coaching staff. Coaches are ultimately responsible for getting through to their players. 

I don’t think fans had anything to do with it

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I think the over-helping part did play a big role... And in one of post game pressers, or maybe it was a preview, but Woody said that sometimes players think being aggressive which leads to over-helping is playing hard... His point was being overly aggressive can lead to mistakes that hurt more than help...

His message was stick to the game plan... The one we practiced and worked on all week...

And to address @KoB2011's point, sure the coach has some culpability, but as @btownqb said, the players play... They execute the game plan... 

• Like 2