IUBB 22/‘23

9 hours ago, IU247 said:

Trayce has gotten better every single year.  He has been having so dominant of games he is reminding me of Anthony Davis.  Davis had a nice little jumper as a frosh and played point guard until he blew up, but the way he controls a college game with his dominance is similar.   

How an NBA scout doesn't look at what he can do and say, by God, I can get him to hit jump shots at a respectable rate.  

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

Trayce has gotten better every single year.  He has been having so dominant of games he is reminding me of Anthony Davis.  Davis had a nice little jumper as a frosh and played point guard until he blew up, but the way he controls a college game with his dominance is similar.   

How an NBA scout doesn't look at what he can do and say, by God, I can get him to hit jump shots at a respectable rate.  

He just has to develop a mid range jumper or guys in the NBA will just out physical him down low. 

2 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

He just has to develop a mid range jumper or guys in the NBA will just out physical him down low. 

A mid-range jumper would be nice, and I’m confident it will come. He’s a smart young man and knows what he needs to do to be successful at the next level, but his real strength in his sheer athletic ability that is unmatched at the college level. He’s not a plodder like Purdue’s bigs or someone like Kofi Cockburn that typically fail in the NBA.

As far as being out muscled in the NBA, I’m not sure I agree with that. He’s strong enough to hold his own, but his real advantage will be his speed, quickness and jumping ability even at the pro level. He’s become a good finisher at the rim and his jump hook is almost unstoppable, which will translate to the NBA. His rebounding and defense will take care of itself. 

I realize the NBA loves bigs that can step out and shoot, but there’ll  be a spot on someone’s roster next year, and TJD will take full advantage…..count on it.

39 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

I doubt he’s ever a perimeter shooter 

In his college career had he made 25 shots outs of 15’?

But he is elite at a couple things 

rebounding 

Shot blocking 

post scoring 

improvements in FT & ball handling 

Exactly.  Specifically, the last item on your list is the new dimension he’s added to his game that’s the main opportunity for him at the next level—something he’s really pushed the last month or so in bringing the ball up.  

He will never be a back to the basket big in the NBA and mastering those things he’s so good at are really great to watch in college, but won’t move the needle for pro scouts.  If he can become mobile with that size giving him a variety of tools, then he’s got something.  If the perimeter shot is not in the cards yet then so be it.  Good for him understanding himself when everyone’s been shouting about developing the outside shot the past few years.

34 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

If you're TJD, why shoot 15 footers and out, if you can go for 25 doing it 3' and in. (in college)

TJD seems like a dude who has done nothing but perfect his craft over the last 4 years. Give him a year of being paid to just to put up 14 million jump shots, he could probably develop one. 

It ain’t broke….

Does a perimeter shooting game help as a big trying to get to the NBA? Absolutely. But, it's not a requirement given TJD's skillset. 

Off the top of my head, here are some successful starting centers (success meaning multiple contracts/seasons played) that don't shoot from the perimeter: Robert Williams, Nic Claxton, Jarrett Allen, Kevon Looney, Clint Capela, Mason Plumlee

I'm sure there are more, but if you can defend multiple positions and perimeter players on switches, provide rim protection, rebound, set effective screens and finish at the rim off lobs and rim runs, you can play in the NBA as a big. 

TJD does almost all of those things really well. Only question is does he have the size/length (legitimately asking, not sure what his wingspan is, etc.). 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Does a perimeter shooting game help as a big trying to get to the NBA? Absolutely. But, it's not a requirement given TJD's skillset. 

Off the top of my head, here are some successful starting centers (success meaning multiple contracts/seasons played) that don't shoot from the perimeter: Robert Williams, Nic Claxton, Jarrett Allen, Kevon Looney, Clint Capela, Mason Plumlee

I'm sure there are more, but if you can defend multiple positions and perimeter players on switches, provide rim protection, rebound, set effective screens and finish at the rim off lobs and rim runs, you can play in the NBA as a big. 

TJD does almost all of those things really well. Only question is does he have the size/length (legitimately asking, not sure what his wingspan is, etc.). 

I think he compensates for size/length with his exceptional quickness and leaping ability on offense and defense.

This is just my small little two cent opinion on TJD and the pros. If there isn't a spot for guy with his length, ability to finish around the rim....and most important which is why Coach Woodson is running the sets he is.....of finding open guys for either shot or ball reversal I have no clue what the NBA is looking for.

Said the same about OG. Same about Bryant...and their skill sets. 

Go Hoosiers! 

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

This is just my small little two cent opinion on TJD and the pros. If there isn't a spot for guy with his length, ability to finish around the rim....and most important which is why Coach Woodson is running the sets he is.....of finding open guys for either shot or ball reversal I have no clue what the NBA is looking for.

Said the same about OG. Same about Bryant...and their skill sets. 

Go Hoosiers! 

I’ve seen a couple recent mock drafts that have him at 29 or 30. That could be an ideal situation. A guaranteed contract with a top team where he’d have time to develop 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I’ve seen a couple recent mock drafts that have him at 29 or 30. That could be an ideal situation. A guaranteed contract with a top team where he’d have time to develop 

I don't follow the NBA as much anymore but something like that would be great. Going to a good team that recognizes a specific skill set that can help them in certain situations off the bench. I just don't want him going to some place like Charlotte or whatever where he's in a bad organization and basically in NBA purgatory like Yogi was with Sacramento.

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

For the Miller Kopp critics...

“You can get lost in the game…it may not show up in the box score but just being vocal, being a leader out there…that’s how I stay in the game,” Kopp said last week. “I’m just playing free…my role’s not to come off and shoot 20 times a game, my role is to help the team win.” 

I'll take him any day... 

I like that attitude too. But please stay off of social media….. and don’t engage with fans / act tough like he’s going to kick somebody’s rear end. Because that is not leadership or maturity. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I like that attitude too. But please stay off of social media….. and don’t engage with fans / act tough like he’s going to kick somebody’s rear end. Because that is not leadership or maturity. 

its only going to get worse. Social media is a part of this generation. This is how they build their following and brands. MK specifically has a Primal brand. He is not going to stay off social media. Some of the things he says, i agree, dont need to be said. But in the same breath for how crazy the fans were during that skid, you cant expect nothing in retaliation. They aren't puppets or robots and you cant tell them to just shut up and play the game for your entertainment. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, ledies22 said:

its only going to get worse. Social media is a part of this generation. This is how they build their following and brands. MK specifically has a Primal brand. He is not going to stay off social media. Some of the things he says, i agree, dont need to be said. But in the same breath for how crazy the fans were during that skid, you cant expect nothing in retaliation. They aren't puppets or robots and you cant tell them to just shut up and play the game for your entertainment. 

I believe Larry Bird went into the stands at one point during his career and beat the brakes off a heckler, while at ISU. I can understand why.