IUBB 22/‘23

11 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

It wasn't just another day at the office for them statistically.

Defensively it sure was...

And, as I said, Boo Buie was the difference in the game. As I said before, he went 10 above his average and most of it was dribble drive stuff... He was only 1-4 from 3. One player CAN and often DOES make a difference in a game.

17 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

That may be a failure to execute, but the reason they didn't execute is a lack of focus and effort. None of those are physical mistakes, all are mental. 

There we go again... Judging effort from far away from the luxury of your home...

We'll never agree on this... But, you've never answered WHY would a kid work that had only to not give effort? 

33 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Your defense of that game is comparing Boo Buie to Michael Jordan. I think that does a great job of displaying how rationale you're being here. 

It wasn't just another day at the office for them statistically. That is their highest offensive output against a Power 5 team all year, and up until their two most recent games against Nebraska and Minnesota the only B1G game they'd broken 75 all year in conference play. 

I don't think all of our loses are about poor effort, that's absurd. I don't think we lost to Rutgers, Arizona, or Kansas because of effort or lack of focus. 

No, that's silly. Lack of effort can absolutely be a reason the game plan isn't executed. I went and skimmed the first ten minutes of the game... I saw:

• JHS be lazy with the ball, get his pocket picked and give up an uncontested layup because he jogged back
  • JHS get the ball stripped on a drive into traffic, then not get back on D so we had to play 4 on 5 and NU got an offensive rebound and a three. 
  • CJ Gunn think we were playing zone when we were playing man and give up a wide open three
  • JHS miss a dribble handoff to Bates resulting in another uncontested layup.

That's the first ten minutes, skimming the game. That may be a failure to execute, but the reason they didn't execute is a lack of focus and effort. None of those are physical mistakes, all are mental. 

Great, I don't really care what everyone else said in a postgame thread. I didn't call them that so don't prescribe to me what someone else said. Again, I'm not hanging on lack of effort and focus for every game we've lost, but the 2.5 game stretch that was the second half of Iowa through Penn State that is exactly what it was. 

Again man, you're doing a major disservice to the team if you think that's all they're capable of. I know you like to take on the role of being positive all the time and I think that's great, I'm generally a positive person too, but we got outscored in a 110 minute stretch of basketball by 42 points to teams that we are a lot better than.

I don't think you'd find a post from me complaining about effort in our other loses, or against Minnesota which very easily could have been a loss if not for Trayce. There were other issues in those games, and some of it 

And that bold line... this happens every day in sports, business, life. People don't bring their best effort or focus to things that are really important to them. I'm guilty of it, you're guilty of it rather you want to admit it tonight, even @bluegrassIUhas occasional very rare off days as a mod (mostly the days he doesn't ban the CS poster...)

About to bring my "A" game.  😉

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Lol, he is a high level guard. We absolutely need him.

....and on top of being a high level guard, he's also a high energy, quick footed ball handler! We need him, but we need him fully healthy and ready to play full throttle like he's used to. When I say "full throttle", I mean when he is playing his A game and under control. He's gonna need that foot healed and pain free to be effective at his position. JHS has really stepped up and rang the bell in that regard. 

Edited by Artesian_86

50 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Defensively it sure was...

And, as I said, Boo Buie was the difference in the game. As I said before, he went 10 above his average and most of it was dribble drive stuff... He was only 1-4 from 3. One player CAN and often DOES make a difference in a game.

No, it wasn't. We shot 10%+ better from the field and 15%+ better from three than they give up on the year. We set at the time what was the high water mark (and is 1 point off now) of points scored against them in conference play. It was by almost any measure their worst game of the year on defense. 

50 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

There we go again... Judging effort from far away from the luxury of your home...

We'll never agree on this... But, you've never answered WHY would a kid work that had only to not give effort? 

Statistically it was one of NUs worst games of the year on defense, and we let a team that is barely in the top 100 in offensive efficiency have their best game of the year on us. You dig in to see if they just had one of those nights they couldn't miss, and that's not true either (46% from the field, 36% from three). But you watch the tape and you see guys not knowing what defense we are in, making us play four on five for an entire possession because he just literally never came back, see uncontested layups on unforced turnovers, and it starts to paint a picture.

We don't have to agree, I just have a high enough opinion of our team to know that getting outscored by 42 points in 110 minutes isn't close to a good effort from them. How can you possibly explain getting outscored by that much, in that short amount of time, unless you just think we suck? What was the reason we got the tar beaten out of us for 2.5 games.

And to the bold, I have answered why multiple times. People don't always bring their best effort or focus, no matter how important something is. There is a myriad of reasons why that happens, but it happens to everyone. Could be they felt like the season was lost when Race got hurt and they mailed it in for a bit, could be that they didn't understand what type of effort was really needed in the Big Ten playing the roles they were asked to play (I think it's some combination of those two answers, but the result is that the effort and focus wasn't where it was required to be and where it has been the past five games), maybe a few of the players got dumped and their head was somewhere else. We don't know why the effort and focus wasn't good enough in those three games, but it very clearly wasn't when you role the tape or look at the stats. Or maybe.... you just think our boys aren't capable and suck. I choose to think they're pretty damn talented though. 

48 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

BTW, are you back to bottom left on this yet?

😁

Yeah, I've absolutely been there.

You ever think you'll get to the point where you have a high enough opinion of our team to think they can beat Northwestern and Penn State, and not blow a 20 point lead against Iowa? I think most Purdue fans on the board would agree we are far too talented for that to happen. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I just have a high enough opinion of our team to know that getting outscored by 42 points in 110 minutes isn't close to a good effort from them. How can you possibly explain getting outscored by that much, in that short amount of time, unless you just think we suck? What was the reason we got the tar beaten out of us for 2.5 games.

Or you have a low enough opinion of the individual kids question their effort and fortitude...I told you why we got beat...Northwestern has good players, play good defense, and Boo Buie went for 10 more than his average because we didn't have anyone with the physical skills and experince to guard him ...Iowa has good players, play great on the offensive end and Kris Murray scored 31 because we had no one with the physical skills and experince to guard him...Penn State has an experienced team and hit 18 3 pointers...I said in the post game, they had some good looks, some under duress, but 18 is an anomaly any way you slice it...

32 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

You ever think you'll get to the point where you have a high enough opinion of our team to think they can beat Northwestern and Penn State, and not blow a 20 point lead against Iowa? I think most Purdue fans on the board would agree we are far too talented for that to happen. 

I know that basketball is a fast paced game where decisions are made in a fraction of a second, and understand that most D1 kids who are in a rotation make some good plays, and some bad plays, and I doubt the bad ones are effort related, at least with successful teams ...Questioning "effort" at least to me insinuates that you're attacking their work ethic on the floor...I gave you "focus" and that could factor in...But lack of focus in making a judgement on a basketball court is much different than citing a lack of effort...BTW, how do you, in particular, discern that from your living room? Is there a scale or something I could see? Or Is it simply the eyeball test from a casual fan?

Yet questioning the effort of kids who have put in a thousand more hours toward the success of the team than you or I have is your "go to." SMH...

And you know you don't have a valid point when you bring the Purdue interlopers in for backup...

Edited by IUFLA

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Or you have a low enough opinion of the individual kids question their effort and fortitude...I told you why we got beat...Northwestern has good players, play good defense, and Boo Buie went for 10 more than his average because we didn't have anyone with the physical skills and experince to guard him ...Iowa has good players, play great on the offensive end and Kris Murray scored 31 because we had no one with the physical skills and experince to guard him...Penn State has an experienced team and hit 18 3 pointers...I said in the post game, they had some good looks, some under duress, but 18 is and anomaly any way you slice it...

Not having your best effort or focus isn't a character flaw or anything worth saying I have a low opinion of the players. I think they're human and we all do that at times. 

Northwestern played arguably their worst defensive game of the year against us. We smoked all their averages with the exception of turnovers, and if you go watch the game (meaning you have to actually put some thought into what the stats are saying) it is very apparent a lot of the turnovers were unforced at worst and easily preventable at best. Boo Buie is 6'2 and went for 26 points on us, only making one 3 and going 9/14 from two. Every other game in his career that is remotely that high he hit at least 3 threes. I know you're not a big X and O guy (not saying that as a knock), but that just doesn't happen if you're playing hard and focused on what you're supposed to be doing.

Iowa was much more about focus than it was effort, but Kris Murray went for 31 not because he was playing out of his mind, we just were getting lost on defense repeatedly. That's not just a tip your cap and admit you got bested on that day type of situation. He didn't even have to work for most of those points. Compare that to Jamison Battle almost beating us by himself last week; Battle was just hitting some incredibly tough shots and we locked everyone else up. Our offense stunk and it was far from our best game, but it wasn't because we lacked effort or the focus to do what we were supposed to, we just didn't our best game making physical plays. THAT I can live with no problem. 

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

I know that basketball is a fast paced game where decisions are made in a fraction of a second, and understand that most D1 kids who are in a rotation make some good plays, and some bad plays, and I doubt the bad ones are effort related, at least with successful teams ...Questioning "effort" at least to me insinuates that you're attacking their work ethic on the floor...I gave you "focus" and that could factor in...But lack of focus in making a judgement on a basketball court is much different than citing a lack of effort...BTW, how do you, in particular, discern that from your living room? Is there a scale or something I could see? Or Is it simply the eyeball test from a casual fan?

Yet questioning the effort of kids who have put in a thousand more hours toward the success of the team than you or I have is your "go to." SMH...

And you know you don't have a valid point when you bring the Purdue interlopers in for backup...

Again man, stop with the bullshit saying it's my go to. I have flat out said we didn't lose other games because of lack of effort in several other instances. I don't even believe the crap a lot of people say about defense being all effort. 

Did JHS not run back on defense multiple times because he isn't capable of doing so? Did guys not close out on shooters because they aren't capable of doing so?

If a guy if more than capable of doing something and they don't do it, what do you call that other than lack of effort? We can see over these past 5 games what happens when they focus on what they're supposed to be doing and give max effort to do it. 

I think it's pretty apparent based on the results during the three game losing streak and now the five game winning streak, that IU didn't play up to its capabilities defensively in terms of energy, effort, intensity and execution during the Iowa, NW and PSU games. 

During the three game losing streak IU wasn't pressuring the perimeter with nearly the effort and intensity we are now. Transition defense wasn't nearly as locked in as it is now. 

The defensive energy and effort, along with execution and a couple strategic things have all improved. 

You don't go from giving up 90 in games to 4 straight under 70 without cranking up the effort and energy. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2