IUBB 22/‘23

Hoosiers playing chess, everybody else playing checkers.  

Depends on what level of stress he went through warmups. That video offers little in the grand scheme.  

Xavier could have gone through an extensive workout at Cook Hall and headed over before the game. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Depends on what level of stress he went through warmups. That video offers little in the grand scheme.  

Xavier could have gone through an extensive workout at Cook Hall and headed over before the game. 

I'd like to see him back for the game at Northwestern to mitigate Boo Buie... With a chaperone of course 😁

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, btownqb said:

My wife is a Physical Therapist and I was asking her how long it typically takes to come back from foot surgery to repair a broken bone and she gave the whole doctor’s speak about ‘it depends’ on this and that. For a normal person who broke their foot when XJ broke it, the guesstimate was end of March. But athletes get pushed back a lot faster and this will affect them down the road. She said she couldn’t imagine a return before the end of February - and if this was the case, he’d probably be feeling the affects of a rushed return when he’s 40. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

My wife is a Physical Therapist and I was asking her how long it typically takes to come back from foot surgery to repair a broken bone and she gave the whole doctor’s speak about ‘it depends’ on this and that. For a normal person who broke their foot when XJ broke it, the guesstimate was end of March. But athletes get pushed back a lot faster and this will affect them down the road. She said she couldn’t imagine a return before the end of February - and if this was the case, he’d probably be feeling the affects of a rushed return when he’s 40. 

Which may be worth it to him, if he gets a National Title out of it. 

18 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I’d like to just see them play with effort against Northwestern this time. 

Yeah... Well, I tend to think we lost a 1 point game (and yes I know it wasn't that close) because we had nobody quick enough to keep Buie in check...

I never try to gauge "effort" from my Lazy-Boy 🙂

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

It really does depend. In my experience it took me about 10 weeks as a regular guy with no surgery.  Then there is weakness, instability, and pain that persists for another couple months. And your muscles atrophy but with a broken foot you can mitigate that some. 

My breaks have healed anywhere from 6-12 weeks depending on what it was.  He'll probably feel it when he's 40 either way. 

1 minute ago, mrflynn03 said:

It really does depend. In my experience it took me about 10 weeks as a regular guy with no surgery.  Then there is weakness, instability, and pain that persists for another couple months. And your muscles atrophy but with a broken foot you can mitigate that some. 

My breaks have healed anywhere from 6-12 weeks depending on what it was.  He'll probably feel it when he's 40 either way. 

Yeah, stress fractures heal sooner. But you don’t have surgeries to repair stress fractures. Add in the fact that it is a weight bearing bone (to your point about atrophy), you are typically at the latter end of that recovery window.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Yeah... Well, I tend to think we lost a 1 point game (and yes I know it wasn't that close) because we had nobody quick enough to keep Buie in check...

I never try to gauge "effort" from my Lazy-Boy 🙂

If you think we played with good effort that game, you have a pretty dang low opinion of the skill level of our players 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

If you think we played with good effort that game, you have a pretty dang low opinion of the skill level of our players 🤷‍♂️

Not at all... We hold Buie to his season average (16 ppg), we win... 

And Northwestern is a pretty good team... Some folks have an issue with acknowledging that...

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Not at all... We hold Buie to his season average (16 ppg), we win... 

And Northwestern is a pretty good team... Some folks have an issue with acknowledging that...

I don't really understand your point in the first line. Yes, if we played better we would have won. We didn't lose that game because of what Northwestern did, it was all about what Indiana wasn't doing. Tons of lazy live ball turnovers and not getting back on defense.

Yes, Northwestern is a pretty good team. We still should have beaten them at home, we are a lot more than "pretty good". The fact that we didn't win that game and didn't hang on against Iowa very well could come back to bite us in ass when it comes to winning the conference.

I think if you asked the players and coaches, they'd thankfully agree with 99% of IU fans that their play and effort level during that game (and the one on each side of it) wasn't good enough. If they just accepted it as good enough like you want to we wouldn't be back can the position we are now. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I don't really understand your point in the first line.

Boo Buie went for 26 points... 10 over his average, because we didn't have anyone that could stay in front of him... He got the majority of his points off the dribble...

We didn't lose that game because of what Northwestern did

You do realize that Northwestern has the 15th rated defense nationally and 3rd in the Big 10, right? Their effort wasn't an anomaly... It's what they do. They average turning opponents over 15 times a game...we had 16 against them. Chase Audige and Ty Berry are both top 5 in steals, and between them they had 8 against us...Again, not an anomaly...

We were still adjusting to life without 2 starters, one our best on the ball defender. 

I think if you asked the players and coaches, they'd thankfully agree with 99% of IU fans that their play and effort level during that game (and the one on each side of it) wasn't good enough. If they just accepted it as good enough like you want to we wouldn't be back can the position we are now. 

And as I said, easy to judge from afar...The people that question effort, to me at least, don't see 1/1000th of what this, or any other team, goes through to play in these games. So to say they go through all this physical and mental effort just to go out on the floor and play "lazy" as you call it, just doesn't resonate with me... 

Some days, the other team plays better than you do. That's just a fact. There's not some switch Woody can push or the players themselves can activate to "play better."

As I said, I wish I had the "Effortometer" that some of you have and use regularly from the comfort of your living rooms

They are on this winning streak because the players better understand their roles and the game plan, and are executing them the way Mike Woodson wants them to... You know, the guy some (not you) were howling for his job after Penn State? 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Boo Buie went for 26 points... 10 over his average, because we didn't have anyone that could stay in front of him... He got the majority of his points off the dribble...

Yeah, that's one guy. We are capable of being a pretty good defensive team, the fact that we were't was about lack of focus and effort. There was tons, and I mean tons, of clips shown that wasn't about guys just being better than us, it was about what we weren't doing on defense. 

13 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

You do realize that Northwestern has the 15th rated defense nationally and 3rd in the Big 10, right? Their effort wasn't an anomaly... It's what they do. They average turning opponents over 15 times a game...we had 16 against them. Chase Audige and Ty Berry are both top 5 in steals, and between them they had 8 against us...Again, not an anomaly...

Not all steals are the same, and neither are all turnovers. If we throw a lazy pass right to the other team, or just let a guy pick our pocket, that's still a steal but it's incredibly preventable with more effort and focus. When you don't run back on defense afterward you compound the issue. 

13 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

They are on this winning streak because the players better understand their roles and the game plan, and are executing them the way Mike Woodson wants them to... You know, the guy some (not you) were howling for his job after Penn State? 

Like you said, I wasn't calling for his job. Yes, players are doing a better job of playing how we need them to. Doesn't that point kind of prove the rest of your post is complete hogwash? The players weren't doing what they needed to because they lacked focus and effort to do it. We shot 50% from the field and 50% from against NU and Iowa - to lose those games is almost exclusively about lack of effort, focus and execution because we were hitting our shots. 

@IUFLAI'm sure you don't think Iowa or Northwestern are better than us, and it's pretty clear we didn't just have off shooting nights or anything like that against those teams, so what do you think is the cause for them beating us?

I get it, the players aren't robots. No one has their A game every time out in sports, work, or life. To me though, pretending we did our best in those games just is a complete disservice to what this team is capable of and really is selling the team short. 

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

Yeah, that's one guy.

"One guy" in a team sport where only 5 players are on the floor at a time can make an astronomical difference...Do the Bulls have 6 championships without a guy named Jordan?

the fact that we were't was about lack of focus and effort.

Focus? Possibly...some players were being put in situations new to them, and I did see players out of position by trying too hard to show Woody they were hustling...but as I said, I think gauging effort is a fool's game. And that's what I take exception to...

Not all steals are the same, and neither are all turnovers. If we throw a lazy pass right to the other team, or just let a guy pick our pocket, that's still a steal but it's incredibly preventable with more effort and focus. When you don't run back on defense afterward you compound the issue. 

I showed you, statistically, that it was just another day at the office for Northwestern and certain players...It's what they do...

You seem to be hung up on all losses are a result of poor effort...Nothing could be further from the truth...

Yes, players are doing a better job of playing how we need them to. Doesn't that point kind of prove the rest of your post is complete hogwash?

How you came to that conclusion floors me...doing a better job of executing a game plan and lack of effort are two VASTLY different things...

@IUFLAI'm sure you don't think Iowa or Northwestern are better than us, and it's pretty clear we didn't just have off shooting nights or anything like that against those teams, so what do you think is the cause for them beating us?

On certain nights, yes they are...Northwestern is a good defensive team, and Iowa is just behind Purdue (🤮) as the top offensive team in our conference. 

They beat us because they have experinced D1 basketball players who didn't just walk in off the street. Their defense thus far has been stellar. I've heard Chase Audige be mentioned as the favorite for Defensive PoY. They're in 2nd place in our conference...Should I continue?

Iowa? Has a legitimate 1st team All Big 10 player, another experinced bunch backing him up, and as I said are dynamic offensively...They scored 95 on Rutgers yesterday...

I saw someone post a few days ago that basketball was an "easy" game...No it's not...Particularly at a level none of the people on this board (save possibly one) can even fathom...

Look, I understand frustration after losses...I get frustrated too...But to go into a post game thread and see words like "gutless" and "quitters" and lunatics saying all of a sudden Woody can't coach and should be replaced...Well, let's just say I'm a little sensitive to that...And your hanging the "lack of effort" tag on every loss is just wrong to me...Why would a kid go through all that hard work just to get to the most important thing in their lives and mail it in?

They don't...sometimes you just get beat...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

"One guy" in a team sport where only 5 players are on the floor at a time can make an astronomical difference...Do the Bulls have 6 championships without a guy named Jordan?

Your defense of that game is comparing Boo Buie to Michael Jordan. I think that does a great job of displaying how rationale you're being here. 

25 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I showed you, statistically, that it was just another day at the office for Northwestern and certain players...It's what they do...

You seem to be hung up on all losses are a result of poor effort...Nothing could be further from the truth...

It wasn't just another day at the office for them statistically. That is their highest offensive output against a Power 5 team all year, and up until their two most recent games against Nebraska and Minnesota the only B1G game they'd broken 75 all year in conference play. 

I don't think all of our loses are about poor effort, that's absurd. I don't think we lost to Rutgers, Arizona, or Kansas because of effort or lack of focus. 

25 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

How you came to that conclusion floors me...doing a better job of executing a game plan and lack of effort are two VASTLY different things...

No, that's silly. Lack of effort can absolutely be a reason the game plan isn't executed. I went and skimmed the first ten minutes of the game... I saw:

• JHS be lazy with the ball, get his pocket picked and give up an uncontested layup because he jogged back
  • JHS get the ball stripped on a drive into traffic, then not get back on D so we had to play 4 on 5 and NU got an offensive rebound and a three. 
  • CJ Gunn think we were playing zone when we were playing man and give up a wide open three
  • JHS miss a dribble handoff to Bates resulting in another uncontested layup.

That's the first ten minutes, skimming the game. That may be a failure to execute, but the reason they didn't execute is a lack of focus and effort. None of those are physical mistakes, all are mental. 

26 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

On certain nights, yes they are...Northwestern is a good defensive team, and Iowa is just behind Purdue (🤮) as the top offensive team in our conference. 

They beat us because they have experinced D1 basketball players who didn't just walk in off the street. Their defense thus far has been stellar. I've heard Chase Audige be mentioned as the favorite for Defensive PoY. They're in 2nd place in our conference...Should I continue?

Iowa? Has a legitimate 1st team All Big 10 player, another experinced bunch backing him up, and as I said are dynamic offensively...They scored 95 on Rutgers yesterday...

I saw someone post a few days ago that basketball was an "easy" game...No it's not...Particularly at a level none of the people on this board (save possibly one) can even fathom...

Look, I understand frustration after losses...I get frustrated too...But to go into a post game thread and see words like "gutless" and "quitters" and lunatics saying all of a sudden Woody can't coach and should be replaced...Well, let's just say I'm a little sensitive to that...And your hanging the "lack of effort" tag on every loss is just wrong to me...Why would a kid go through all that hard work just to get to the most important thing in their lives and mail it in?

They don't...sometimes you just get beat...

Great, I don't really care what everyone else said in a postgame thread. I didn't call them that so don't prescribe to me what someone else said. Again, I'm not hanging on lack of effort and focus for every game we've lost, but the 2.5 game stretch that was the second half of Iowa through Penn State that is exactly what it was. 

Again man, you're doing a major disservice to the team if you think that's all they're capable of. I know you like to take on the role of being positive all the time and I think that's great, I'm generally a positive person too, but we got outscored in a 110 minute stretch of basketball by 42 points to teams that we are a lot better than.

I don't think you'd find a post from me complaining about effort in our other loses, or against Minnesota which very easily could have been a loss if not for Trayce. There were other issues in those games, and some of it 

And that bold line... this happens every day in sports, business, life. People don't bring their best effort or focus to things that are really important to them. I'm guilty of it, you're guilty of it rather you want to admit it tonight, even @bluegrassIUhas occasional very rare off days as a mod (mostly the days he doesn't ban the CS poster...)