IUBB 22/‘23

1 hour ago, rico said:

I look at that and think how much it might open things up closer to the basket if we were more of a threat (and maintained a good %).

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

This is so cool... Love the jacket too... We couldn't have any finer a representative of our school and our program...

LOL at "hooper".  They should have gone really old school and used "cager" 😄

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, rico said:

Our best shooters don't shoot.  Sometimes that is because our passes don't hit them ready to shoot and sometimes it is because they appear gun shy.  We are one of the better shooting teams in an era where the 3 ball is king and we have a NPOY candidate down low who draws double and triple teams.  The fact we don't get more 3's up is criminal.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Our best shooters don't shoot.  Sometimes that is because our passes don't hit them ready to shoot and sometimes it is because they appear gun shy.  We are one of the better shooting teams in an era where the 3 ball is king and we have a NPOY candidate down low who draws double and triple teams.  The fact we don't get more 3's up is criminal.

We don't have enough guys that can initiate offense. Kopp and others take the shots they get. Plus.. we rarely ever get TOs that can lead to transition 3s, as well. Kopp and Bates can't get their own offense. Plus... we don't have a 4 that is a regular perimeter threat/can distribute to get others good shots from 3. Most of the teams on the right of the graph have a skilled 4 man, or at least one that can stretch the defense. We don't. 

If I were an opposing coach, I'm not letting Kopp shoot... and going from there. 🤷‍♀️

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 2

Just now, btownqb said:

We don't have enough guys that can initiate offense is more of the problem than "our best shooters not shooting". Kopp and others take the shots they get. Plus.. we rarely ever get TOs that can lead to transition 3s, as well. Kopp and Bates can't get their own offense. Plus... we don't have a 4 that is a regular perimeter threat/can distribute to get others good shots from 3. Most of the teams on the right of the graph have a skilled 4 man, or at least one that can stretch the defense. We don't. 

If I were an opposing coach, I'm not letting Kopp shoot... and going from there. 🤷‍♀️

If X comes back I think that changes a lot - it gets us more threes in our half court offense because he's really the only perimeter player we have that can get all the way to the basket regularly and he's good at kicking it out when he does that. He also is going to create turnovers that lead to transition threes; he and Kopp had a great connection on that.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

If X comes back I think that changes a lot - it gets us more threes in our half court offense because he's really the only perimeter player we have that can get all the way to the basket regularly and he's good at kicking it out when he does that. He also is going to create turnovers that lead to transition threes; he and Kopp had a great connection on that.

Absolutely. 

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

This is so cool... Love the jacket too... We couldn't have any finer a representative of our school and our program...

The fact that Trace is a monster baller and all time great has him on my all time favorites list. It’s his love for and dedication to the program that has him in my top 5 favorites.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

This IMO makes it very unlikely we can win six in a row in the tournament. Somebody will get hot and shoot/make a high volume of threes against us. And while we might dominate the paint, we won’t be able to keep up. 

Sad, but true.  We really have to find some guys going forward who can keep up in this department.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, kyhoosier29 said:

This IMO makes it very unlikely we can win six in a row in the tournament. Somebody will get hot and shoot/make a high volume of threes against us. And while we might dominate the paint, we won’t be able to keep up. 

Conversely, maybe we're just waiting for the NCAAT to unleash the power of the KILLER MOPP, with the two of them raining threes like hellfire all the way to the FF.

Someone really needs to photoshop Trey's hair on Miller's head, and this meme will write itself.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Conversely, maybe we're just waiting for the NCAAT to unleash the power of the KILLER MOPP, with the two of them raining threes like hellfire all the way to the FF.

Someone really needs to photoshop Trey's hair on Miller's head, and this meme will write itself.

Gotta have XJ to facilitate all that! 

1 hour ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Sad, but true.  We really have to find some guys going forward who can keep up in this department.  

Not even just shooters, but shot creators/makers. I mean, yes more shooters, but even beyond that we haven't had a kid that could hit shots like the kid from MSU did the other night since Yogi. 

We haven't had a guard that with the shotclock winding down could jab step, cross-over, step-back and hit a contested 3 in like 7 years. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Not even just shooters, but shot creators/makers. I mean, yes more shooters, but even beyond that we haven't had a kid that could hit shots like the kid from MSU did the other night since Yogi. 

We haven't had a guard that with the shotclock winding down could jab step, cross-over, step-back and hit a contested 3 in like 7 years. 

Yep. I thought Bates might be the type of guy you described. So far, no. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BGleas said:

How dare you disrespect Devonte Green.

• Haha 2