IUBB 22/‘23

47 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

He was in uniform and I'm guessing available for Michigan... But the times they showed him on the bench he didn't look real happy... 

so you made me curious and I went back and watched highlights, and this doesn’t show any huddles so I don’t know what he was like then. During the highlights there are times where he has zero to little reaction and looks disinterested/mad whatever, and then there are times where he is very engaged/cheering. In fact when Race made the first bucket in OT he was the first to stand up and clap. So maybe he was both mad and happy that game. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, IUskim said:

so you made me curious and I went back and watched highlights, and this doesn’t show any huddles so I don’t know what he was like then. During the highlights there are times where he has zero to little reaction and looks disinterested/mad whatever, and then there are times where he is very engaged/cheering. In fact when Race made the first bucket in OT he was the first to stand up and clap. So maybe he was both mad and happy that game. 

I would just consider it all normal and not really anything to look into, at that point. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I would just consider it all normal and not really anything to look into, at that point. 

All normal, sure...

But you have to wonder why he didn't play... Matchups maybe?

But he played 21 minutes in our first game against them, although Race was unavailable... 

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

All normal, sure...

But you have to wonder why he didn't play... Matchups maybe?

But he played 21 minutes in our first game against them, although Race was unavailable... 

Well.. that was my initial question.. I didn't know if there was something up, I hadn't heard about being in a boot vs. Iowa. I was too pissed to talk basketball on here after that game lol 

I assume being in the boot earlier in the week explains it. 

• Like 1

I broke down and listened to the "Grueling Truth" recap of the Michigan game that someone posted. Although I wish I could have that hour back (yikes), it did get me thinking a bit more about next year's roster. The main dude on the podcast is an adamant JHS hater. Says he's "lazy on defense," "a terrible point guard," and "hopes he is not back next year". He refused to acknowledge that he's had to play out of position (on both sides of the ball) since X went down.  When other's pushed back he argued that we would have too many guards on the roster (assuming XJ is allowed to return). Risley's response what "put JHS at the 3 then". I'm intrigued by the potential of this to say the least. 

Looking through the transfer portal posts today, I saw lots of "we need 4's" comments (which I agree is a hole). Looking at our roster, we have JG and MR who have spent time at the 4.  What about Banks? He's taller than JG, has showed he's not afraid of contact and can rebound. He can certainly stretch that position more than JG.

Given all that, I see our returning roster (plus recruits and assuming XJ and JHS are back) something like this:

• XJ - 1
  • GC - 1
  • JHS - 2/1/3
  • TG - 2/1
  • JN - 2/1?
  • TB - 2
  • AL - 2
  • CG - 2
  • CB - 3/4
  • JG - 4
  • MR - 4/5
  • LD - 5

Under the "we want positionless basketball players", I think we're in more need of guys that can cover the 3 than 4. We also have way more guys at the 2 than minutes and wouldn't be surprised to see some turnover from that group. 

Thoughts?

3 minutes ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

I broke down and listened to the "Grueling Truth" recap of the Michigan game that someone posted. Although I wish I could have that hour back (yikes), it did get me thinking a bit more about next year's roster. The main dude on the podcast is an adamant JHS hater. Says he's "lazy on defense," "a terrible point guard," and "hopes he is not back next year". He refused to acknowledge that he's had to play out of position (on both sides of the ball) since X went down.  When other's pushed back he argued that we would have too many guards on the roster (assuming XJ is allowed to return). Risley's response what "put JHS at the 3 then". I'm intrigued by the potential of this to say the least. 

Looking through the transfer portal posts today, I saw lots of "we need 4's" comments (which I agree is a hole). Looking at our roster, we have JG and MR who have spent time at the 4.  What about Banks? He's taller than JG, has showed he's not afraid of contact and can rebound. He can certainly stretch that position more than JG.

Given all that, I see our returning roster (plus recruits and assuming XJ and JHS are back) something like this:

• XJ - 1
  • GC - 1
  • JHS - 2/1/3
  • TG - 2/1
  • JN - 2/1?
  • TB - 2
  • AL - 2
  • CG - 2
  • CB - 3/4
  • JG - 4
  • MR - 4/5
  • LD - 5

Under the "we want positionless basketball players", I think we're in more need of guys that can cover the 3 than 4. We also have way more guys at the 2 than minutes and wouldn't be surprised to see some turnover from that group. 

Thoughts?

Bates+Galloway+Gunn can all play the 3. 

TG- 1/2/3

TB- 2/3

Gunn- 2/3 

Edited by btownqb

1 minute ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

I'd love to see Tamar develop into being able to run the point some but will be happy if he just settles into a solid 2/3

To be clear... I didn't say Tamar could play the point. I was saying the 3 guys I mentioned can all play the 3 position and not just the 2. 

37 minutes ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

• XJ - 1
  • GC - 1
  • JHS - 2/1/3
  • TG - 2/1
  • JN - 2/1?
  • TB - 2
  • AL - 2
  • CG - 2
  • CB - 3/4
  • JG - 4
  • MR - 4/5
  • LD - 5

Thoughts?

I think Galloway with the proper supporting cast would thrive as a true 3.  But I'm also very thankful for his versatility that he brings because this current edition would have fallen apart without it.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

But there still would have been 20+ seconds on the clock... Pull it out, get the last shot, and the worst you can do is tie and go to OT...

Missing the layup gave Michigan that same opportunity...

And Jett Howard had made up ground on Tamar, so it was essentially 2 on 2

I disagree with that. The issue may be that we didn't convert, but we SHOULD convert that play.

The question is would you rather be up 2 playing defense to end the game or tied with the final shot? I'll take the lead and trust my defense. 

12 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I disagree with that. The issue may be that we didn't convert, but we SHOULD convert that play.

The question is would you rather be up 2 playing defense to end the game or tied with the final shot? I'll take the lead and trust my defense. 

Race isn't the best in the open floor... In fact, I can't remember one time he got out on the break and made the shot... I remember a lot of charges though...

And to your question, I'll always wait til the end to take a possible winning shot on the last play... 

Woody's a wizard at running plays after a timeout... Let him work his magic...

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Race isn't the best in the open floor... In fact, I can't remember one time he got out on the break and made the shot... I remember a lot of charges though...

And to your question, I'll always wait til the end to take a possible winning shot on the last play... 

Woody's a wizard at running plays after a timeout... Let him work his magic...

If that's how Woody feels then it's Woody's fault he didn't call timeout. Nothing prevented him from doing that.

I personally agree with Woody to let the 2 on 1 fast break play out, but to each their own if you disagree with how he strategized that situation. 

2 hours ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

• XJ - 1
  • GC - 1
  • JHS - 2/1/3
  • TG - 2/1
  • JN - 2/1?
  • TB - 2
  • AL - 2
  • CG - 2
  • CB - 3/4
  • JG - 4
  • MR - 4/5
  • LD - 5

Under the "we want positionless basketball players", I think we're in more need of guys that can cover the 3 than 4. We also have way more guys at the 2 than minutes and wouldn't be surprised to see some turnover from that group

Just caught up on some other threads. Guess I should have posted this in the "XJ Not Returning" thread. Never judge a thread by its title 🤷‍♀️

• Haha 2

JHS named Big Ten freshman of the year.  First time for IU since Vonleh in 2014.

TJD was one of two who were unanimous selections to the first team all big ten.

JHS was second team by the media and third team all big ten by the coaches.

TJD was also on the big ten defensive team.

Edited by thirdgenhoosier
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

JHS named Big Ten freshman of the year.  First time for IU since Vonleh in 2014.

But Meyer and a freakin Mcaffery on the sportsmanship team. 
mall creditably flew out window. 

1 hour ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

All deserving. As an IU homer, I think TJD has a legitimate case to be (at least a Co-) DPOY, but I'll save that yelling for the next cloud that drifts by.

Digging into the accolades a little further, it's interesting how little IU is represented in comparison to other teams. Of the top half in the standings, only IU, Northwestern and Illinois have 2 representatives in the 1st-3rd Teams and Honorable Mentions as selected by the coaches.

1) PU - 1st, HM (2x) = 3 total

2) NU - 2nd (2x) = 2 total

3) IU - 1st, 3rd = 2 total

4) MSU - 2nd, HM (2x) = 3 total

5) Iowa - 1st, HM (2x) = 3 total

6) Maryland - 2nd, HM (3x) = 4 total

7) UI - 1st, 3rd = 2 total

8] UM - 2nd, 3rd (2x) = 4 total

9) RU - 3rd, HM (3x) = 4 total

10) PSU - 1st, HM (2x) = 3 total

11) NU - 2nd, HM = 2 total

12) UW - HM = 1 total (hahahahahahahahahaha)

13) OSU - HM (3x) = 3 total

14) UMinn - HM = 1 total

What does all this mean? Probably, absolutely nothing. But will it stop me from trying to make a point? Absolutely not. Given the performance of its best players, Illinois landed somewhat accurately in the standings, while IU and (give credit where its due) Northwestern did the best with what we/they have and possibly overachieved**. Our top two were so good that they carried us -- even though I feel an HM for Kopp or Galloway isn't as far fetched as some might think.

Teams like Maryland, Michigan and Rutgers underperformed.

**Injuries certainly play into this calculation, and as @btownqb said, having XJ could've very realistically changed our season record for the better.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, MoyeCowbell said:

All deserving. As an IU homer, I think TJD has a legitimate case to be (at least a Co-) DPOY, but I'll save that yelling for the next cloud that drifts by.

Digging into the accolades a little further, it's interesting how little IU is represented in comparison to other teams. Of the top half in the standings, only IU, Northwestern and Illinois have 2 representatives in the 1st-3rd Teams and Honorable Mentions as selected by the coaches.

1) PU - 1st, HM (2x) = 3 total

2) NU - 2nd (2x) = 2 total

3) IU - 1st, 3rd = 2 total

4) MSU - 2nd, HM (2x) = 3 total

5) Iowa - 1st, HM (2x) = 3 total

6) Maryland - 2nd, HM (3x) = 4 total

7) UI - 1st, 3rd = 2 total

8] UM - 2nd, 3rd (2x) = 4 total

9) RU - 3rd, HM (3x) = 4 total

10) PSU - 1st, HM (2x) = 3 total

11) NU - 2nd, HM = 2 total

12) UW - HM = 1 total (hahahahahahahahahaha)

13) OSU - HM (3x) = 3 total

14) UMinn - HM = 1 total

What does all this mean? Probably, absolutely nothing. But will it stop me from trying to make a point? Absolutely not. Given the performance of its best players, Illinois landed somewhat accurately in the standings, while IU and (give credit where its due) Northwestern did the best with what we/they have and possibly overachieved**. Our top two were so good that they carried us -- even though I feel an HM for Kopp or Galloway isn't as far fetched as some might think.

Teams like Maryland, Michigan and Rutgers underperformed.

**Injuries certainly play into this calculation, and as @btownqb said, having XJ could've very realistically changed our season record for the better.

XJ's injury prevented Trey from being a viable 6th Man of the Year candidate in my estimation...

• Like 9

Just now, IUFLA said:

XJ's injury prevented Trey from being a viable 6th Man of the Year candidate in my estimation...

Yes.

And it further supports my claim that Trey should've been Mentioned Honorably. He helped run the show with JHS in XJ's absence and the wheels didn't fall off. That should account for something.

• Like 2