IUBB 22/‘23

Is this where we do the post mortem for this season? 
As I was grappling with the game and trying to allow myself some rest, I came to the conclusion that we did about as well as could have been expected. XJ’s injury was much more impactful than we wanted it to be, because before the season started, we thought depth was a real strength. 
The positives:

TJD became an IU legend, and may be useful in the future since NIL has come into play, to speak on the benefits of maybe staying in school and reaping the benefits. He’s one of my all time favorites now, even without any kind of championships.

CMW and staff made strides. Hate it that Fife and Matta left, but I saw improvement in several areas. Still not sure why there was not more line up tinkering, especially at the beginning of the 2nd half.

When RT went down, I was not sure if IU was going to win another game. They did a fantastic job of salvaging the season and there were stretches in games, even games they ended up losing, where they played really well.

The negatives:

Lost too many games. It still seems like there was a mentality with this group that losing did not have any repercussions, and that they would get them next time. NW, 1st Iowa game, and several others were games that we just didn’t close out. 

Injuries. Weight programs or low top running shoes aside, ;) ,we have another IU season where we can say “IF (insert name here) didn’t go down, we would have ( insert expectations here)  X’s injury was the big one, but don’t forget we essentially lost Logan for the season from some kind of respiratory illness. Race was not the same after his injury. TJD missed a few games with a bad back. JHS missed games. I think someone said we only played 6 games with a full team.  There are those who say “next man up”, and “no excuses”, but come on, I think this team would have lost less than 8 games with a healthy team. Something no one ever fully has, but still…

Player regression- this really bothers me, because Bates and JG basically became unplayable, and this is not the trajectory we foresaw for them this time last year. It seems like several players made little to no improvement, and even took a step back. I thought Leal, aka “Tony Buckets”, would morph into a player after his performance at Iowa as a freshman. 

I have other positives and negatives, but just thought it would be fun to get input on the ‘22-‘23 season…

• Like 7

Terms of XJ Medical redshirt, since we hit 35 games this year, the threshold for 30% or less to gain that Medical Redshirt is 10.5 games. ESPN currently factors in the Kansas game at 11 games played. Making the BTT Championship and a Sweet 16 would have pretty much automatically given XJ a medical redshirt. Let’s hope for the best for XJ

1 hour ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

Wasn't sure the best thread to post this and didn't want to start a new one for it.

Is there a more bitter tool out there than Dakich?

Who cares? (Directed at Dakich not you)

Regardless of whether Woodson knew anything about the situation or not, I don’t see the point in even commenting on it. But that’s just who he’s become… anything to make a buck and get some publicity. Sad.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

Wasn't sure the best thread to post this and didn't want to start a new one for it.

Is there a more bitter tool out there than Dakich?

So a guy who was an NBA head coach at the time of us being on probation and subsequently sucking, that very much cares about his Alma Mater, just didn’t notice we won 28 games in three years?

What an absolutely stupid take by Dakich. 

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

So a guy who was an NBA head coach at the time of us being on probation and subsequently sucking, that very much cares about his Alma Mater, just didn’t notice we won 28 games in three years?

What an absolutely stupid take by Dakich. 

He's such a clown. I'm actually a little surprised he hasn't gotten any backlash from other former players for some of the nonsense he spews. 

Not that it really matters, but Woodson has said that he came back to Bloomington most offseasons and he said he came back and spoke to the team when Sampson was the coach. He didn't know what happened? Dakich is a moron. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, BGleas said:

He's such a clown. I'm actually a little surprised he hasn't gotten any backlash from other former players for some of the nonsense he spews. 

Not that it really matters, but Woodson has said that he came back to Bloomington most offseasons and he said he came back and spoke to the team when Sampson was the coach. He didn't know what happened? Dakich is a moron. 

Yeah, but that doesn't fit Dickitch's narrative that Woodson is some hapless, sleepy coach...

• Like 1

Highlights as far as I'm concerned...

14. It’s easy to make excuses, easy to blame a coach or situation. It’s a lot harder to ignore and put your head down and work. 

55. Culture and talent is what every program should be striving for. Need both

57. Coach Woody is obsessed with hoops. Could talk for hours. And does 

62. Truth should be told whether you like it or not

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

14. It’s easy to make excuses, easy to blame a coach or situation. It’s a lot harder to ignore and put your head down and work. 

And these. Early in my career, I had a mentor/friend who taught me that the easiest way to get promoted is to do everything you can to get your boss a promotion. 

9. Coaches want to win. It’s how they feed their family

10. Coaches will play who they trust

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

And these. Early in my career, I had a mentor/friend who taught me that the easiest way to get promoted is to do everything you can to get your boss a promotion. 

9. Coaches want to win. It’s how they feed their family

10. Coaches will play who they trust

10 was a big one for me 

8 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I laughed out loud when I read 

48. Start twitter beef with Portnoy

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

You can imagine the time Miller Kopp spent coming up with these 100 things…that tells you what kind of at great kid he is. He really spent a ton of time reflecting back on his career and put a lot of emphasis on self, ownership and not blame! 

• Like 1