Big 10 Basketball 2022-23

IUFLA

6 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

We both know that’s not accurate lol. Are we on IU’s level in terms of national prestige? Of course not but to say no one cares about Purdue outside of the state isn’t reality. 

This is true. I once played golf in Hawaii with a Purdue graduate until they suddenly left after the 14th hole.

Edited by SawatchHoosier
  • Haha 6

16 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

We both know that’s not accurate lol. Are we on IU’s level in terms of national prestige? Of course not but to say no one cares about Purdue outside of the state isn’t accurate IMO. 

Uh…I hate to break it to you but if I was to walk door to door in my neighborhood and asked what state Purdue is located I can guarantee you it might be 1 out 10 get it right. This isn’t an IU thing either you know I’m as fair as it gets but it’s just a fact people might have heard of Purdue and know they are a good basketball team but most couldn’t care less. 

I would have used my wife who is from Southern Illinois as an example as she had no clue it was in Indiana until I told her when her cousin moved to Lafayette and his wife refused to move the kids there and stayed behind. (To be fair to her I would leave Gulf Shores either so he rented an apartment and flew back every other weekend). But yesterday we were watching Stanford vs Arizona and there was no one in the crowd and she said probably too cold in the North East for people to go….😮 I asked her where she thought Stanford was located and she said New York 🤷‍♂️ it’s an Ivy League school right?? So I can’t use her for anything geographical anymore lol. My point still stands though.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Alright that’s well played. 

But in all seriousness I own a small business in a touristy mountain town and meet Purdue fans and Purdue graduates all the time. Very nice people. I also wear my Indiana apparel so they call me out on it lol.

Edited by SawatchHoosier
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Uh…I hate to break it to you but if I was to walk door to door in my neighborhood and asked where what state Purdue is located I can guarantee you it might be 1 out 10 get it right. This isn’t an IU thing either you know I’m as fair as it gets but it’s just a fact people might have heard of Purdue and know they are a good basketball team but most couldn’t care less. 

I would have used my wife who is from Southern Illinois as an example as she had no clue it was in Indiana until I told her when her cousin moved to Lafayette and his wife refused to move the kids there and stayed behind. But yesterday we were watching Stanford vs Arizona and there was no one in the crowd and she said probably too cold in the North East for people to go….😮 I asked her where she thought Stanford was located and she said New York 🤷‍♂️ it’s an Ivy League school right?? So I can’t use her for anything geographical anymore lol. My point still stands though.

I mean I don’t necessarily disagree with you about people not knowing where Purdue is located but I don’t think it’s a knock against Purdue. I think that’s probably pretty accurate for most schools that don’t have the name of the state in them. I’m guessing a good chunk of people don’t have a clue that Notre Dame is in northern Indiana either you know? From my interactions with folks when I’ve been traveling either around the country or world, I always get comments when I wear Purdue gear whether it’s about academics, basketball, football, etc that come from being a world-class institution. 

3 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I mean I don’t necessarily disagree with you about people not knowing where Purdue is located but I don’t think it’s a knock against Purdue. I think that’s probably pretty accurate for most schools that don’t have the name of the state in them. I’m guessing a good chunk of people don’t have a clue that Notre Dame is in northern Indiana either you know? From my interactions with folks when I’ve been traveling either around the country or world, I always get comments when I wear Purdue gear whether it’s about academics, basketball, football, etc that come from being a world-class institution. 

I agree about Purdue…great school…but it isn’t the same…everyone knows where ND is…just like Duke…and well…everyone but my wife knows where Stanford is lol. But point should go back…Purdue doesn’t move the needle nationally. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

We both know that’s notu accurate lol. Are we on IU’s level in terms of national prestige? Of course not but to say no one cares about Purdue outside of the state isn’t reality. 

Nobody cares about purdue outside of Indiana 

Big Ten an exception as conference title games rebound 

Sunday’s Iowa-Purdue men’s Big Ten Tournament final averaged a 2.0 rating and 3.59 million viewers on CBS, marking the smallest audience for the game since 2018 (3.18M). Ratings fell 8% and viewership at least 3% from last year (2.2, 3.68M pending revision). The lower lead-in no doubt hurt the NCAA Tournament Selection Show lead-out, which drew 4.95 million — the smallest audience for the event since 2018, the first and only time it aired on cable (2.50M).

The Big Ten title game was an exception on a weekend that saw big increases for the other conference tournament finals.

Guess who played in the BTT championship game in 2018? 

2018_mbb_bracket.thumb.jpg.e841579c10c457082024fe8c48baf391.jpg

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

We both know that’s not accurate lol. Are we on IU’s level in terms of national prestige? Of course not but to say no one cares about Purdue outside of the state isn’t reality. 

When’s the last time you heard a national broadcaster say “ college basketball is better when Purdue is good?”😅😅😅😅😅😅

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Nobody cares about purdue outside of Indiana 

Big Ten an exception as conference title games rebound 

Sunday’s Iowa-Purdue men’s Big Ten Tournament final averaged a 2.0 rating and 3.59 million viewers on CBS, marking the smallest audience for the game since 2018 (3.18M). Ratings fell 8% and viewership at least 3% from last year (2.2, 3.68M pending revision). The lower lead-in no doubt hurt the NCAA Tournament Selection Show lead-out, which drew 4.95 million — the smallest audience for the event since 2018, the first and only time it aired on cable (2.50M).

The Big Ten title game was an exception on a weekend that saw big increases for the other conference tournament finals.

Guess who played in the BTT championship game in 2018? 

2018_mbb_bracket.thumb.jpg.e841579c10c457082024fe8c48baf391.jpg

Well now I’m sold. 

@Stlboiler23 just so I am being fair…since I said something negative about Purdue…which by the way I think it is great for college basketball in our state when IU/Purdue/ND/Butler are all good…I still believe you will win the B1G and will land a #1 seed. While the guards are freshman most teams don’t have bigger veteran guards to push those two around…and Edey is virtually unstoppable. I like how your team plays together and not for themselves like last year with Ivy so I think you will make a good run in the tournament. There…now I’ve been fair and balanced lol

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Well now I’m sold. 

In that case I have a used car I need to get rid of. 

In all seriousness, we know you are here for the superior basketball intellect and discussion.  It's an IU site so slinging crap is part of it. I give you credit for hanging around and putting up with it and staying respectful.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, dgambill said:

@Stlboiler23 just so I am being fair…since I said something negative about Purdue…which by the way I think it is great for college basketball in our state when IU/Purdue/ND/Butler are all good…I still believe you will win the B1G and will land a #1 seed. While the guards are freshman most teams don’t have bigger veteran guards to push those two around…and Edey is virtually unstoppable. I like how your team plays together and not for themselves like last year with Ivy so I think you will make a good run in the tournament. There…now I’ve been fair and balanced lol

vomit.jpg.49bc3dc470bae554a136be238bd4e1bb.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

26 minutes ago, dgambill said:

All good sir. Would gladly buy you and most of the other folks on here a beer in real life. It’s sports at the end of the day not the end of the world. I have plenty of IU buddies and it’s fun with the back and forth. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

All good sir. Would gladly buy you and most of the other folks on here a beer in real life. It’s sports at the end of the day not the end of the world. I have plenty of IU buddies and it’s fun with the back and forth. 

Absolutely. If you’re ever down in SWFL hit me up a message. We will definitely do that!

33 minutes ago, dgambill said:

And yet you continue to critique IU like they are the second place team in your sons little tikes basketball league?

• Confused 1

Just now, Drroogh said:

And yet you continue to critique IU like they are the second place team in your sons little tikes basketball league?

Ok…I’m sorry…😒 think I’ve been fair all the way around with my assessments over the years. If I’ve had a bad take I will own up to it. Hard to deny though Purdue has been the top of the class for hoops past 7-8 years. No shame in saying that they play good hard basketball with mostly our hometown kids. I’m super excited for our team though. Really great chance to have a special year if we get healthy…and hope we continue to bring in talent like this. 

• Like 1

Just now, dgambill said:

Ok…I’m sorry…😒 think I’ve been fair all the way around with my assessments over the years. If I’ve had a bad take I will own up to it. Hard to deny though Purdue has been the top of the class for hoops past 7-8 years. No shame in saying that they play good hard basketball with mostly our hometown kids. I’m super excited for our team though. Really great chance to have a special year if we get healthy…and hope we continue to bring in talent like this. 

I said you critique, (almost incessantly!) I’m out, no need to get the mods any heartburn.