Big 10 Basketball 2022-23

IUFLA

Just now, bluegrassIU said:

I am not watching....did this really happen? Have the announcers mentioned it?

It sure looked like he slapped a kid on the leg, but it’s hard to tell for sure. I have the volume down and am switching back and forth between another game, so I have no idea if they mentioned it. It looked like he was trying to get his attention more than he was mad at him. To be honest, I didn’t have a problem with it and it didn’t look like the kid did either. 

• Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

When Howard was hired I questioned how good he would be but his first few years had been good. This year so far looks like a bad year and if they lose Dickinson  and the young Howard they could be looking bad in the future.

With the transfer portal it doesn’t take long to rebuild. There are kids who are attracted to what Howard is selling. UM is a desired option for a lot of recruits. Will never sell them short 

2 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

With the transfer portal it doesn’t take long to rebuild. There are kids who are attracted to what Howard is selling. UM is a desired option for a lot of recruits. Will never sell them short 

The thing last year he had more talent than any other big ten school but still finished 8th

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The thing last year he had more talent than any other big ten school but still finished 8th

Not even close. The only player from UM on any all-B1G team was Dickinson on the 2nd team. Wisconsin had Davis on the 1st team and Davidson on the 2nd. OSU had Liddell and Branham. Illinois had Kofi on the first, Frazier on the second and Plummer on the third. PUke had Ivey, Edey and Williams, 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Michigan didn’t even have an honorable mention. One guy, Diabate, on the all-freshman team.

Not sure how you could interpret this as having the most talent in the conference 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Not even close. The only player from UM on any all-B1G team was Dickinson on the 2nd team. Wisconsin had Davis on the 1st team and Davidson on the 2nd. OSU had Liddell and Branham. Illinois had Kofi on the first, Frazier on the second and Plummer on the third. PUke had Ivey, Edey and Williams, 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Michigan didn’t even have an honorable mention. One guy, Diabate, on the all-freshman team.

Not sure how you could interpret this as having the most talent in the conference 

Well they were predicted to win the Conference last year so people must have thought they had talent.

9 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I'm not sure end of year awards are a good measurement of the talent a coach has...How he's developed the talent he has, and how that talent has performed as a team, sure...If you look at RSCI rankings coming out of high school, Michigan had the 2nd most Top 100 kids in the Big 10 behind Michigan State. I know a lot of people dismiss high school rankings, and they can be grossly inaccurate in cases, but it is a yardstick in gauging talent, particularly at the top...Michigan's 2021 class had 4 top 50 kids in it...Add those to Dickinson, a pretty good guard in Eli Brooks and grad transfer Devante Jones, and I can see the reason for a lot of sportswriter's optimism...

Michigan had 2 freshmen, Diabate and Houstan, that got drafted by NBA clubs and while I understand your statement about potential, the difference between the raw basketball skills and athleticism of say a Houstan vs Trent Frazier, or Davison (that dirty SOB!) and Diabate isn't even close...The development of those skills is the kicker...

So I do agree with Scott that Michigan had one of the top 2 or 3 teams in terms of talent, but they badly underacheived...And that falls on Howard...

Actually, in his four years at Michigan, he hasn't had all that much success...His second year was really good...Beyond that? Well, let's say the results don't measure up to the talent :) I think it's even more of a reflection on Howard's record that he has a fairly successful head coach on his staff (Phil Martelli) guiding him along...

image.png.0f2baf1dc9e6395aa708a97ea04b5d79.png

I honestly think once his sons, Jett and Jace are gone, he'll start looking for an NBA gig...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 4

No clue about Michigan as I haven't watched with my own eyes yet but from their record and opinions on here doesn't sound like a good balance of kids right now.

I know Iowa lost and all but from what I saw vs Nebraska they have some fine pieces there. That won't be the last time Nebraska knocks off a top half team at home. What I don't want is Iowa to be so desperate for a win they play for it all vs us. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

No clue about Michigan as I haven't watched with my own eyes yet but from their record and opinions on here doesn't sound like a good balance of kids right now.

I know Iowa lost and all but from what I saw vs Nebraska they have some fine pieces there. That won't be the last time Nebraska knocks off a top half team at home. What I don't want is Iowa to be so desperate for a win they play for it all vs us. 

Nebraska guards...Iowa doesn't...

We have to get back to the defense that we played against UNC, or we'll struggle on the road too...

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Is it really that bad? I was in football mode last night so didn't watch any hoops.

Our defense? It's not been good enough lately to offset our offense...Even in wins vs Elon and Kennesaw State we didn't play defense like we can...Good competition will expose us if we don't get the show on the road...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Our defense? It's not been good enough lately to offset our offense...Even in wins vs Elon and Kennesaw State we didn't play defense like we can...Good competition will expose us if we don't get the show on the road...

No I meant Iowa's defense. Sounds putrid and if that's the case TJD and Race could have 45 and 20.

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

No I meant Iowa's defense. Sounds putrid and if that's the case TJD and Race could have 45 and 20.

Oh...Yeah...Not good...Derrick Walker was having his way with Rebraca until he got into foul trouble...Iowa has nobody that can guard Trayce one on one...I'm sure Fran will double him constantly...

The bright side is, in our last 4 games, we've been 39% from 3...Iowa isn't very athletic, and doesn't recover on the 3 well, so hopefully we can have some outside sucess...

The bad news is, in road games this year our 3 most dependable 3 point shooters, Galloway, Bates, and JHS, are 8-41 (20%) from 3...

• Like 1