Big 10 Basketball 2022-23

IUFLA

26 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

Or a free* Pizza Express combo (pizza, breadsticks w/ nacho cheese, soda) when IU scored anywhere between 30-100pts in the early '00s.

*It wasn't free and I forget the cost, but it was gameday, and I was usually very hungry.

I ate a very unhealthy amount of Pizza Express at IU. I think my roommate and I would split the combo 4-5 days per week.

• Like 3

Another post from a Bucknut fan:

He has done a good job of getting high end talent, but his rotation choices and McBasketball playbook is just not cutting it. In his years, I still have not figured out any philosophy on either ejd of the court. There is no system, they run a perimeter weave, high low ball screens, and...., welp that's about it. McNeil is a turnover machine and gets beat continually on D, yet he logs top minutes. He has an upcoming freshman point guard and he gives the minutes to Likelie, who is an offensive liability, cannot shoot, as is Sueing. Just another hot mess that looked so promising in December.

When you lose alot of close games, it usually falls on preparation and coaching.

40 minutes ago, rico said:

Another post from a Bucknut fan:

He has done a good job of getting high end talent, but his rotation choices and McBasketball playbook is just not cutting it. In his years, I still have not figured out any philosophy on either ejd of the court. There is no system, they run a perimeter weave, high low ball screens, and...., welp that's about it. McNeil is a turnover machine and gets beat continually on D, yet he logs top minutes. He has an upcoming freshman point guard and he gives the minutes to Likelie, who is an offensive liability, cannot shoot, as is Sueing. Just another hot mess that looked so promising in December.

When you lose alot of close games, it usually falls on preparation and coaching.

Another one of the want list’s falling off the cliff. I remember when Chris Mack, Gregg Marshall and Holtman were on several people’s wish lists for IU’s next coach. Just goes to show how much we know. I was actually believing Holtman would have been a better hire?

2 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Another one of the want list’s falling off the cliff. I remember when Chris Mack, Gregg Marshall and Holtman were on several people’s wish lists for IU’s next coach. Just goes to show how much we know. I was actually believing Holtman would have been a better hire?

Holtman vs. Archie probably was the better hire, but for sure, some of the luster is gone.

• Like 1

This is my one PUke post for the month. This is ridiculous:

Painter expressed frustration with what he considered officiating inconsistency toward Edey.

"It gets frustrating for him," Painter said. "He's like a pinata out there. You guys been to a party lately where there's a pinata? They hit 'em really hard and the candy comes out. I don't think there's any candy inside Zach, though. It gets old. It really does."

He drew 7 fouls against Maryland and committed 2.

Painter said he understands efforts to protect outside shooters because of potential injury, but he asked, "Did (Edey) really only get fouled 7 times?"

"It's like, you're not getting calls just because you're 7-4, 290. I just don't understand it," Painter said. "They just have to be consistent and call the same thing throughout the game."

Edey averages 6.8 free throw attempts per game and makes 74.4% of his tries. He has 29 fouls in 19 games, a fact opposing fan bases frequently cite as perceived favoritism toward Edey.

Painter said the coaching staff works hard to make sure Edey remains calm in the heat of action.

"We spend more time trying to calm him down than anything, because you don't want him to retaliate and be in foul trouble," Painter said.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/hes-like-a-pinata-out-there-purdue-basketball-coach-defends-zach-edey-over-lack-of-fouls/ar-AA16Ezz8

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

This is my one PUke post for the month. This is ridiculous:

Painter expressed frustration with what he considered officiating inconsistency toward Edey.

"It gets frustrating for him," Painter said. "He's like a pinata out there. You guys been to a party lately where there's a pinata? They hit 'em really hard and the candy comes out. I don't think there's any candy inside Zach, though. It gets old. It really does."

He drew 7 fouls against Maryland and committed 2.

Painter said he understands efforts to protect outside shooters because of potential injury, but he asked, "Did (Edey) really only get fouled 7 times?"

"It's like, you're not getting calls just because you're 7-4, 290. I just don't understand it," Painter said. "They just have to be consistent and call the same thing throughout the game."

Edey averages 6.8 free throw attempts per game and makes 74.4% of his tries. He has 29 fouls in 19 games, a fact opposing fan bases frequently cite as perceived favoritism toward Edey.

Painter said the coaching staff works hard to make sure Edey remains calm in the heat of action.

"We spend more time trying to calm him down than anything, because you don't want him to retaliate and be in foul trouble," Painter said.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/hes-like-a-pinata-out-there-purdue-basketball-coach-defends-zach-edey-over-lack-of-fouls/ar-AA16Ezz8

With that, I’ve lost a lot of respect for Porkchop! He may go down the path of Izzo for me, when I first moved to Michigan 38 years ago and respected his Yupper upbringing.

28 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

This isn't directed at you Drroogh, just using your post as a jumping off point. 

Fans are crazy (myself included)! What does OSU expect? What would be the point in moving on from Holtmann or even having him on some type of hot seat? It doesn't make much sense. In the current climate, the second one thing goes wrong or there is one tough stretch everyone screams "he's not the guy, time to move on". 

To @IUFLA's point in recent weeks, it's sort of crazy. In 8 full seasons as a high-major coach Holtmann has won 66% of his games, has never missed the tournament, and has finished lower then 5th in his conference 1 time, including 3 second place finishes. 

He's only been to the Sweet Sixteen once, but I've always felt fans place way too much importance on that. Yes, winning the tournament and deep March runs is the goal, but IMO that is more about at bats as a high seed then anything else.

I'm not a huge Holtmann guy, but with that said unless OSU is extremely confident that they have the next Matta identified, then moving on from him seems crazy to me?

• Like 9