Big 10 Basketball 2022-23

IUFLA

38 minutes ago, SawatchHoosier said:

We don’t talk about that. 

If your a grandparent of very young children like my wife and I are….this reminds me of a Disney movie both my granddaughters love called Encanto! Lol…. However in the movie the line in the song is…”We don’t talk about Bruno….!” 🤣 
When you become grandparents and are blessed with grandchildren,….It’s their world and we just live in it.!”🥰

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Random Bucknut fan:

I love Ohio State basketball more than OSU football. It’s close but bball gets the nod.

Watching tonight I was apathetic. I don’t see Holtmann ever putting it together here. There may be some big upset wins but he has turned OSU basketball into the equivalent of Purdue football.

Sad time for a program that led the conference in Big Ten titles when he arrived

.https://www.elevenwarriors.com/forum/ohio-state-basketball/2023/01/137086/should-we-care-about-osu-mens-hoops

Edited by rico
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, rico said:

Random Bucknut fan:

I love Ohio State basketball more than OSU football. It’s close but bball gets the nod.

Watching tonight I was apathetic. I don’t see Holtmann ever putting it together here. There may be some big upset wins but he has turned OSU basketball into the equivalent of Purdue football.

Sad time for a program that led the conference in Big Ten titles when he arrived

.https://www.elevenwarriors.com/forum/ohio-state-basketball/2023/01/137086/should-we-care-about-osu-mens-hoops

Illinois went 5-28 from 3 and cruised most of the night.

Regarding Holtmann. Seems like he has the resume of a few other Big 10 coaches who have been on the job for 6+ years. He's got his teams into the dance 4x with 3x getting knocked out in 2nd round and 1x getting eliminated in first round. Not horrible but certainly barely above average. No clue what to do with a coach like that. Do you go the Purdue route and stay the course even after Painter didn't win any tourney games for extended period? Or do you go the IU route where we canned Crean after 3 S16's and 2 Big 10 Titles?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Illinois went 5-28 from 3 and cruised most of the night.

Regarding Holtmann. Seems like he has the resume of a few other Big 10 coaches who have been on the job for 6+ years. He's got his teams into the dance 4x with 3x getting knocked out in 2nd round and 1x getting eliminated in first round. Not horrible but certainly barely above average. No clue what to do with a coach like that. Do you go the Purdue route and stay the course even after Painter didn't win any tourney games for extended period? Or do you go the IU route where we canned Crean after 3 S16's and 2 Big 10 Titles?

He would be much more the average of Archie and Crean than he would be Crean... imo. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

He would be much more the average of Archie and Crean than he would be Crean... imo. 

And that's the thing. No clue what to do. Shoot look at Underwood. Year 6. 1 Conf Title, made tourney twice and went one and done in both. Or even Franny Mac. 13 years on the job. Made tourney 6x but never past the first weekend either.

Maybe it's just the Big 10 but we seem to have a lot of those resumes in our conference.

• Like 3

Just now, Seeking6 said:

And that's the thing. No clue what to do. Shoot look at Underwood. Year 6. 1 Conf Title, made tourney twice and went one and done in both. Or even Franny Mac. 13 years on the job. Made tourney 6x but never past the first weekend either.

Maybe it's just the Big 10 but we seem to have a lot of those resumes in our conference.

Have we factored in expectations though?

Because each of those you mentioned would have either been canned by IU by now, or be on the hot seat...

For better or worse, the expectations from our fanbase is probably higher than any other in the Big 10... 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Because each of those you mentioned would have either been canned by IU by now, or be on the hot seat...

For better or worse, the expectations from our fanbase is probably higher than any other in the Big 10... 

Oh for sure but even if they aren't basketball schools fans of all schools in P5 conferences have changed over the last several years. Win now is even more important. 

Like I said earlier. I honestly have no clue what to do with coaches like that. Status quo I guess. Get ranked at least once a year, make the tourney and lose. If that's what they want they got it.

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

It'll be interesting to see what MSU does after Izzo, but I agree, we have less patience than other B10 fanbases. Rightfully so, IMO. 

Edited by KoB2011
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Or the free McDonald's hamburger, fries, and soda for holding teams under 50 in the early 70s... 

Or a free* Pizza Express combo (pizza, breadsticks w/ nacho cheese, soda) when IU scored anywhere between 30-100pts in the early '00s.

*It wasn't free and I forget the cost, but it was gameday, and I was usually very hungry.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1