Penn St game thread

11 minutes ago, IndyHoosier22 said:

It would be difficult to get worse at this point. Last two years we are 1-14 in the Big Ten. Pretty hard to defend that. 

It starts at the top. I don't know how this staff can be viewed as anything but a failure. Maybe a new coach won't change anything, but we already know what we have now and it's not working. All of the momentum is gone and we aren't getting it back without major changes.

• Like 1

I wish in our good years that we make a bowl game that we would win the bowl game more often.

Tom had some good years but damn it is depressing to be staring down the barrel of another barren 2-year stretch where we might only win one Big Ten game. 

Eh, I've been following IU football for nearly 40 years I guess it is what it is. I don't know how to change it. 

5 hours ago, Indykev said:

Is Jack Tuttle still embedded in the field or did they dig him out. I would walk up to every o-linemen and kick them in their nuts.

Tom Allen shouldn't be the coach tomorrow.

Tuttle and Sorsby combined, only attempted 18 passes, but they were officially sacked 6 times. PSU’s linemen were untouched en route to the QB.

Defensively, they were confused and often out of position at the snap, even though PSU looked pretty simple on offense. There were communication issues from the sideline

• Like 1

8 hours ago, IndyHoosier22 said:

It would be difficult to get worse at this point. Last two years we are 1-14 in the Big Ten. Pretty hard to defend that. 

We just fell off a cliff after two good seasons under Allen. The total failure since then has exposed a lot. First, the COVID-shortened season success was in large part due to it not being a normal season. Shortened schedule, no fans. etc. Second, and overlapping, failed to find a way to maximize Penix's talent, momentum, and simply keep him in the program. Third inter-related point, in retrospect, DeBoer was clearly the cog that made it all go - at least offensively and in terms of mentoring Penix. 

Allen does deserve credit for 19 and 20 - levels of success unexperienced by the program in 30 years or more, depending on metric. 20, as stated, has lost its luster somewhat. Still, everyone had to compete based on the situation, and we were successful in that context. It's just that I think the context was strange enough to push it to apples to oranges comparison with any other "normal" season. Therefore, we assumed too much about what it meant in relation to the previous season and anticipated too much as to how it would translate to the following one.

Allen also deserves credit for several historically rated recruiting classes. Yet higher rankings have not translated into on field development/success. Those guys should now be junior and senior leaders and consistent top on-filed contributors. And, as we are well aware, those prized classes definitely have not yielded  B1G level performance in the ever-essential OL and DL units. How much did the combo of DeBoer's departure AND the prospect of playing behind a very leaky o-line, given the injury history, influence Penix's transfer decision? 

10-32 B1G record minus 2020. 2 and 10 and looking like 3 and 9 this year. And could very easily be 1 and 8 overall at this point. I know all the challenges to finding and keeping good coaches for a program with our history, but Allen is the lead guy in hiring the coordinators. And he's back calling plays on D. That hasn't made a difference. He'll be around a while longer. Not surprised if he finishes out the contract given how lucrative. And it likely wouldn't make any difference unless we miraculously figure out how to get a coaching upgrade in here. Not defending keeping him. It just is what it is.

14 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Tuttle and Sorsby combined, only attempted 18 passes, but they were officially sacked 6 times. PSU’s linemen were untouched en route to the QB.

Defensively, they were confused and often out of position at the snap, even though PSU looked pretty simple on offense. There were communication issues from the sideline

Yeah, Penn State didn't play well at all, especially the first quarter. We just are abjectly inept. A mediocre team at home given that game script would have been up 17-7 with momentum and a jacked up crowd before the 1st quarter was out. Interception in opponent's territory, punt downed inside the one, numerous 3rd and longs (most of which resulted in surrendered 1st downs), etc. , etc. We wanted to be a competitive, respectable team under Allen, not B1G title contenders. While unsurprisingly not the latter, we disappointingly are miles from the former.

12 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I get it. But who better is coming to Bloomington that wants to be there?

That’s on the administration to figure out. They could find someone I’m certain of that. This program is a disaster but it’s fixable if they make a change. It’s time for a new voice. 

IU is going to finish 3-9 on the season after going 2-10 last year. Allen doesn’t know how to get this train back on the tracks and a change is necessary. My gut feeling is that if no change is made the portal isn’t going to be kind to the IU program and next year will be even worse. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

Don't suppose there's any way to promote him into an admin position rather than fire him?  If he's truly a LEO kinda guy, then that same idea would carry into his service to IU...right?  Love your employer, Coach...step aside into a new position.

That's not a bad idea.  I still do believe he is a man of integrity.  He would have to take a significant pay cut.  Super significant.   And then become like the athletic department cheerleader for the next 10 years.  Like an assistant ad of cheering and support.  Just love each other and stuff would be the job requirement.  

9 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

That's not a bad idea.  I still do believe he is a man of integrity.  He would have to take a significant pay cut.  Super significant.   And then become like the athletic department cheerleader for the next 10 years.  Like an assistant ad of cheering and support.  Just love each other and stuff would be the job requirement.  

My guess is that he views himself as a coach and not an admin guy.  But he's also a strong Christian, by everything we hear, and perhaps an appeal to those values along with a respectable contract and title might make him consider a change.  It's a long shot, for sure.  Something for Doltson to consider.

2 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

Don't suppose there's any way to promote him into an admin position rather than fire him?  If he's truly a LEO kinda guy, then that same idea would carry into his service to IU...right?  Love your employer, Coach...step aside into a new position.

Lol not happening 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

What do you suppose is honestly going through Coach Allen’s mind right now…..? All seriousness…..

What are the “Come to Jesus” conversations like between position coaches and Coach Allen?

How are the players feeling, thinking and talking about this continuous slide?

There are so many more questions…

A sinking ship comes to mind...

The alumni and fan base does not deserve that crap that was out there yesterday.  I try to be supportive but the staff totally lost its composure yesterday.  They’ve come unglued.  Playing Sorbsy?  Starting a guy who Is transferring?  Total disarray.  Bazelak reportedly wasn’t even on the sideline. You’ve to keep your wits about you if you want to Coach at this level.

Hugh Freeze is probably a guy you could get.  Of course, you’d have to interview him to make sure he’s changed in terms of character.  People do get second chances.  We all know that all he does is win.  Deion would be amazing but that’s probably a pipe dream.  I don’t know why FSU doesn’t write him whatever check he wants to make them relevant again.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

The alumni and fan base does not deserve that crap that was out there yesterday.  I try to be supportive but the staff totally lost its composure yesterday.  They’ve come unglued.  Playing Sorbsy?  Starting a guy who Is transferring?  Total disarray.  Bazelak reportedly wasn’t even on the sideline. You’ve to keep your wits about you if you want to Coach at this level.

Hugh Freeze is probably a guy you could get.  Of course, you’d have to interview him to make sure he’s changed in terms of character.  People do get second chances.  We all know that all he does is win.  Deion would be amazing but that’s probably a pipe dream.  I don’t know why FSU doesn’t write him whatever check he wants to make them relevant again.  

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/hugh-freeze-contract-liberty-rewards-fourth-year-coach-with-fully-guaranteed-deal-over-next-eight-seasons/

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

This is what you do with coaches who are getting too old to keep up with the demands of coaching and need to scale back a bit. Allen needs to hit the road and be far away from this program. 

38 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Agree with all this. Yesterday was embarrassing. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

This is what you do with coaches who are getting too old to keep up with the demands of coaching and need to scale back a bit. Allen needs to hit the road and be far away from this program. 

Yeah, I was trying to come up with a way to get around the buyout.  It's a total stretch that's never going to happen.  Just trying to find a loophole.   😋