IUWBB Post-Season Game Thread

btownqb

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Should have had McNeil guarding her on the catch and someone else running to the spot where she was headed.  I won't begin to call it bad coaching though.  Teri Moren knows a hell of a lot more about basketball than I do,  

Probably more than all of us but she outsmarted herself. I’ve never never seen that defense before. Never

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Should have had McNeil guarding her on the catch and someone else running to the spot where she was headed.  I won't begin to call it bad coaching though.  Teri Moren knows a hell of a lot more about basketball than I do,  

They did but McNeil got knocked down by an illegal screen

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

You could get called for a foul by going over the back trying to tip the ball.  The only time you miss on purpose is being up 1 and the opponent has no timeouts 

That would be an absurd call in that moment but whatever. Agree to disagree. The second free throw means nothing. There’s a less than 5% chance they would even get to attempt a 2pt shot from a half court out of bounds play in the first place. Either way, you take away Clark and make anyone else beat you. That is indisputable

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Why should you get rewarded for calling a timeout. You can have even more exciting finishes by taking it out at the other end. See Laettner and Bryce Drew

You and I both know the percentages go up astronomically from advancing it. The reward is saving your timeouts instead of using them throughout the game. Timeouts are actually a huge benefit. It just makes for a more compelling game is all. There is a reason the NBA does it.

Edited by dgambill

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Could easily have the clock tick below .7 seconds, which limits what they can do.  

Sure, if we just assume they can't catch it clean but that's a pretty bad miss.

The only person you'd remotely entertain the idea of pressuring the rebound and be confident they wouldn't foul was the one you are saying should miss. If you aren't pressuring the rebound they're going to catch it clean and get a timeout with 1.3 seconds to play. 

1 minute ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

We should have doubled her and made someone else beat us, but anyway you look at it, it was a great play by Clark. No matter who it is, the chance of catching and shooting on the move from 3 with only 1.5 sec left, is nearly impossible.

Yes and no. She was wide open. The percentages went way up in that scenario. I love our team so I’m not gong to harp on it but the inbounds defense was not sound.

Well I'm gonna bow out on this one, but my thoughts on the ending....

• Missing would have been asking to get beat - they can advance the ball or we can foul. Not much good at all comes from missing.
  • Maybe we could have doubled Clark, but if Chloe doesn't fall coming off of the second screen we win the game.
  • Clark hit a damn tough shot and beat us - tip your cap to her for making a hell of a play. 

• Like 3

We don't really need to box and 1 CC, though. 

Clark was 24-50 from the field in two games against Indiana. And 7-23 from 3. 6-22 before that last shot. 

We can play her straight up, which we did start running a double at her to get the ball out of her hands late in the game, which I liked. 

Iowa's complimentary pieces hurt us more than CC did today. 

Edited by btownqb

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

Sydney didn't help off... Garzon was in the lane. But Chloe really should have just been through the screen easier. 

Yeah…and without a defender on the inbound pass…that made that even worse…it was an easy direct pass…she didn’t have anyone to try to throw it around or find a passing lane that was further from the basket. It just isn’t a good idea to not put on ball pressure. And if you are going to play center field I just don’t know why we are in no man’s land. If you aren’t going to play the inbounder than why not have her spying from the the foul line or top of the key where she can cut her off from coming to the ball…well you live and you learn…I don’t think we ever play that defense again in that situation. Even if almost no one else in the country can hit that shot under pressure of the situation we all knew Clark could…so you let someone else beat you or at worst tie it.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Yeah…and without a defender on the inbound pass…that made that even worse…it was an easy direct pass…she didn’t have anyone to try to throw it around or find a passing lane that was further from the basket. It just isn’t a good idea to not put on ball pressure. And if you are going to play center field I just don’t know why we are in no man’s land. If you aren’t going to play the inbounder than why not have her spying from the the foul line or top of the key where she can cut her off from coming to the ball…well you live and you learn…I don’t think we ever play that defense again in that situation. Even if almost no one else in the country can hit that shot under pressure of the situation we all knew Clark could…so you let someone else beat you or at worst tie it.

I don't agree about the lack of having someone on the ball. I don't like having anyone on the ball there, but Garzon can't get caught in no man's land.

They weren't as worried about Clark as they were a direct inbound underneath, which I agree with. 

The design is fine, Garzon needed to read the play a little better and adjust... and simply put, CMM can't get screened there. 

She's one of the best defensive players I've seen.. just goofed. Like that was a simple screen to get around if she had recognized the angle CC was taking to get to the ball. Chloe shouldn't have been touched by that screen and then she's in CCs hip pocket as soon as she catches. 

I will repeat, there is nothing wrong with the design of our defense there. Our execution was the issue. 

• Like 2

Played well enough to win on the road at the #6 team in the country. Didn't quite play well enough to keep it from being close at the end. And then a great player made a tough shot. Say what you want about our defense, she still had to catch and release while falling off balance, and had been just 3-11 from three up to that point. It was a tough beat, in a game that counted for little to this team except pride. It made me sick to my stomach to watch the game end that way, but you tip your cap and move on.

Team should still be #2 in the polls based on body of work and the losses of the other challengers. It would be incredibly dumb for six-loss Iowa to leapfrog us in the polls, but that objectively awful ESPN broadcast has planted the possibility in my brain.

Seriously, the Big Ten can't leave ESPN soon enough. I'm convinced the network has decided to be the sports channel for people who don't actually like sports. They want to be the channel you leave on in the background. So they program overlapping content, even if it means your miss the entire first quarter of your scheduled game. They constantly promote upcoming content, even over the current game you turned on the channel to see. And they promote stars above all else because they only want your superficial interest for that two hour chunk of time. ESPN is a terrible product. Good riddance.

Rant over, bring on the Big Ten Tournament. I'm looking forward to another conference title, and stacking some more quality wins. This team should be a 1 seed no matter what happens, but I'm hoping to be across the bracket from South Carolina. That would be a terrific national title game.

• Like 3