IUWBB Post-Season Game Thread

btownqb

26 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

Played well enough to win on the road at the #6 team in the country. Didn't quite play well enough to keep it from being close at the end. And then a great player made a tough shot. Say what you want about our defense, she still had to catch and release while falling off balance, and had been just 3-11 from three up to that point. It was a tough beat, in a game that counted for little to this team except pride. It made me sick to my stomach to watch the game end that way, but you tip your cap and move on.

Team should still be #2 in the polls based on body of work and the losses of the other challengers. It would be incredibly dumb for six-loss Iowa to leapfrog us in the polls, but that objectively awful ESPN broadcast has planted the possibility in my brain.

Seriously, the Big Ten can't leave ESPN soon enough. I'm convinced the network has decided to be the sports channel for people who don't actually like sports. They want to be the channel you leave on in the background. So they program overlapping content, even if it means your miss the entire first quarter of your scheduled game. They constantly promote upcoming content, even over the current game you turned on the channel to see. And they promote stars above all else because they only want your superficial interest for that two hour chunk of time. ESPN is a terrible product. Good riddance.

Rant over, bring on the Big Ten Tournament. I'm looking forward to another conference title, and stacking some more quality wins. This team should be a 1 seed no matter what happens, but I'm hoping to be across the bracket from South Carolina. That would be a terrific national title game.

Great points, and you're right. We guarded CC extremely well for two games. Unfortunate Chloe slipped. 

I would like to point out... we should be sent to Greenville, just like SC, but we should be the 2 or 3 seed overall and NOT the 4. We shouldn't see SC until the championship game.... assuming we win on Friday. 

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Great points, and you're right. We guarded CC extremely well for two games. Unfortunate Chloe slipped. 

I would like to point out... we should be sent to Greenville, just like SC, but we should be the 2 or 3 seed overall and NOT the 4. We shouldn't see SC until the championship game.... assuming we win on Friday. 

Yep, that overall 2/3 is what I want to see happen, preferably 2 of course.

It was good to see The Athletic keep Indiana at 2 this morning, Sabreena Merchant recognizing the body of work and not letting 1.5 seconds erase a fantastic season.

12 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

Yep, that overall 2/3 is what I want to see happen, preferably 2 of course.

It was good to see The Athletic keep Indiana at 2 this morning, Sabreena Merchant recognizing the body of work and not letting 1.5 seconds erase a fantastic season.

I really don't think we have anything to worry about in regards to a 1 seed, but certainly crazier things have happened. 

• btownqb changed the title to IUWBB Post-Season Game Thread

There is absolutely no way that Iowa should jump IU in any rating/ranking/seeding. To me, the game came down to the eye test. Despite the loss, IUWB was clearly the better team and it took a superhuman individual effort of Clark to squeak out a victory. IU was able to score in a multitude of ways and did so consistently in a hostile environment when nothing was really on the line.

They're just built different. They're engineered for a deep run to the NC game, while Iowa will have a nice S16 run, but that's it.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 5fouls said:

We are probably a #1 seed regardless.  But, if Iowa were to beat us in the BTT final, it gives the committee something to think about.  Especially if they were to beat us by 10 points or so.  

This loss hurts regardless of it having no bearing for the conference title.  

As long as we win Friday, we are a 1 seed, undoubtedly. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Should have had McNeil guarding her on the catch and someone else running to the spot where she was headed.  I won't begin to call it bad coaching though.  Teri Moren knows a hell of a lot more about basketball than I do,  

That's exactly what we did! Or what we had drawn up, it wasn't executed that way. 

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Does anyone have a clue what the Iowa coach was so mad about when Holmes got fouled? The Iowa girl had her arm COMPLETELY hooked... I mean, I understand she "wanted" a travel... but holy shit. It was a mugging before Holmes made any of her move. 

She came unglued over the travel. She did pick up her pivot foot ONLY after she was hooked up high by Cinzano. The foul occurred first....

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

And picking your pivot foot up isn't a travel - it's when you put it back down. 

Right. Just.. idk. Originally, I was like "oh man, we got a call there".... 

After the review... that was the most obvious foul all game. Then the Iowa coach going nuts was pretty on par for Iowa to think they should get away with that egregious of a foul.

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

Geez! Just let it go.  It doesn’t mean anything except IU got another loss.  No change in polls.  Just look forward to the next time we play Iowa, hopefully in the BTT final.  I think coach TM learned something from this game.  Don’t let any other Iowa players hurt you. Close out on others when they want to take threes.  Make Cziano work for everything.  Let Clark get her 30-35.  She can’t beat you alone.  Finally, we were cold from outside.  Hopefully that won’t happen again.  Just beat everyone, including Iowa, and wait for South Carolina in the NCAA final game.

34 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Right. Just.. idk. Originally, I was like "oh man, we got a call there".... 

After the review... that was the most obvious foul all game. Then the Iowa coach going nuts was pretty on par for Iowa to think they should get away with that egregious of a foul.

Right. If it happened to certain teams in the men’s game their coach would be screaming for a flagrant hook and hold. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, IUguy said:

Geez! Just let it go.  It doesn’t mean anything except IU got another loss.  No change in polls.  Just look forward to the next time we play Iowa, hopefully in the BTT final.  I think coach TM learned something from this game.  Don’t let any other Iowa players hurt you. Close out on others when they want to take threes.  Make Cziano work for everything.  Let Clark get her 30-35.  She can’t beat you alone.  Finally, we were cold from outside.  Hopefully that won’t happen again.  Just beat everyone, including Iowa, and wait for South Carolina in the NCAA final game.

What are we letting go? 

I wasn't the least bit mad after yesterday. They played their tails off. Goofed up the last play. As someone mentioned on another site... don't let yourself be in that spot to begin with.