Indiana High School Football (2023)

I can't find this past season's thread.. Plus I'm lazy looking for things... 

@5fouls didn't want to derail that thread anymore... @Seeking6if you get to watch those videos and want to talk more Wing T here, we can. 

5fouls

Any specs to that field that you have seen? In a very respectful way... SCs gameday for football/field/all of it needs a huge face lift. I understand this is still the beginning of the football program, as a whole, but still a 4A school with plenty of funding (not a poor community). I understand there have been a lot of hold ups for SC to move forward with their school and football program with Henryville and Borden/other factors. 

Just didn't feel like a HS football game, at times, down there because of the atmosphere. 

Edited by btownqb

• btownqb changed the title to Indiana High School Football (2023)

Preliminary SIAC Outlook

Tier 1:

Obviously Reitz, they return a majority of their starters from last year, some questions in the secondary and RB positions and some mental mistakes/penalties.

A lot of people are high about Vincennes as they return 9 starters on the defense and return their talented QB, but does loses their RB. Some questions regarding the offense.

Tier 2:

North returns around 15-16 starters and coming off their first winning season since 2007. We will see if they can be able to make some success, but are known to start off hot and then up cold.

Memorial losses roughly 10 or 11 starters, mainly from the defense (7), sounds like it will be a rebuilding season as Memorial’s trenches only return 2 starters all together. But Coach Hurley finds a way to compete.

Unsure about Castle, they made a surprise run to the SS after benching their starting QB. Their OL/DL are supposed to be decimated from graduation and some other questions regarding the offense. However, they just find ways to compete. 

Jasper just finds a way to be in the mix of things, likely another Top 4 team in the SIAC when it is said and none. They do lose a very good senior group to graduation.

Mater Dei is your defending 2A state champion, however, it will be a rebuild for the Wildcats this season. The Defense should be ok for the most the most part, however, they have to replace 9 starters on their offense, including their talented QB. But it’s Coach Goebel’s team for the time being (although there were rumors of retirement).

Tier 3:

Harrison has some young talent on the team especially their new QB from last season. It will be interesting to see what Coach Mutton can do, but it will take some time.

Bosse is in the same boat with Harrison, I love the Coach Mullen hire and is great guy from the sounds of it. But we will see if Bosse can show continuous improvement.

Coach Zirkelbach is good fit for Central, seems like he is still trying to figure out what to do about Central. I think he can achieve their once his plan is 100% implemented there, but a long journey awaits.

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

I can't find this past season's thread.. Plus I'm lazy looking for things... 

@5fouls didn't want to derail that thread anymore... @Seeking6if you get to watch those videos and want to talk more Wing T here, we can. 

5fouls

Any specs to that field that you have seen? In a very respectful way... SCs gameday for football/field/all of it needs a huge face lift. I understand this is still the beginning of the football program, as a whole, but still a 4A school with plenty of funding (not a poor community). I understand there have been a lot of hold ups for SC to move forward with their school and football program with Henryville and Borden/other factors. 

Just didn't feel like a HS football game, at times, down there because of the atmosphere. 

I grew up on Wing T and while it dominated our classes in Illinois during 60's-90's.....our guys were not smart enough to install new versions of it. Shotgun or whatever.....tons of way to still have Wing T influence without it looking like 1978 Nebraska.

Had to recall some of my favorites while getting my steps in. 33 Belly, 46 counter, 21 sweep, 49 sweep, 48 belly, Box 4....occasionally hitch and go routes. 

Being from Illinois I can't tell you the amount of success at the high school level Peyton Manning changed Indiana High School Football. Late 90's teams were already changing to pro style, shotguns, qb calling plays at lines....in my neck of the woods in Northern Illinois they were decades behind. Some have just changed in the last 10....but man Wing T. What a thing of beauty when it works.

@btownqb

Construction is underway.  I've not driven up there to get a close look at it though.  Essentially, the new field will occupy the space where the baseball field was.  Baseball will spend the entire upcoming season on the road as the baseball and softball fields will take the space previously occupied by the football field.  There are some specs/maps online somewhere that I will look for after work.

The new complex is supposed to include significantly upgraded concession/bathroom/press/etc facilities.  You are correct in that the Borden/Henryville situation really held things back for a long time.  

All that said, the community has never really embraced football as well as I thought they would now that we have it. In fact, I think youth league numbers are down from where they were 10 years ago.  The talent level, especially in the trenches, has most certainly declined.  

It will be interesting to see if the new facilities help regenerate some of the excitement there was when the program first got started.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

@btownqb

Construction is underway.  I've not driven up there to get a close look at it though.  Essentially, the new field will occupy the space where the baseball field was.  Baseball will spend the entire upcoming season on the road as the baseball and softball fields will take the space previously occupied by the football field.  There are some specs/maps online somewhere that I will look for after work.

The new complex is supposed to include significantly upgraded concession/bathroom/press/etc facilities.  You are correct in that the Borden/Henryville situation really held things back for a long time.  

All that said, the community has never really embraced football as well as I thought they would now that we have it. In fact, I think youth league numbers are down from where they were 10 years ago.  The talent level, especially in the trenches, has most certainly declined.  

It will be interesting to see if the new facilities help regenerate some of the excitement there was when the program first got started.

Agreed... and I truly hope it does! 

Surely having a better atmosphere won't hurt. I appreciate the response, man! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2023 at 1:44 PM, Seeking6 said:

Pretty cool scheduling note for next fall. I think it's September 8th but Ben Davis will be the first Indiana High School to host a Florida team. IMG Academy will be making the trip. IMG routinely puts out some of the highest ranked recruits in the country and has about 15 guys in the NFL.

IMG recruiting Indy?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

I won’t argue this since I will likely lose this battle. Just thought it was a bad look on Dwenger, that’s all

LOL.  Dwenger has been recruiting since I was in HS and that dates back to the early 80s.  Now they have social media to further their cause to win the recruiting battle.

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

I won’t argue this since I will likely lose this battle. Just thought it was a bad look on Dwenger, that’s all

1 hour ago, rico said:

LOL.  Dwenger has been recruiting since I was in HS and that dates back to the early 80s.  Now they have social media to further their cause to win the recruiting battle.

Recruiting goes on everywhere. Looked at an article from 2019 written by Kyle Nedderip who wrote about the ongoing problem in Marion County with basketball recruiting.  Quoted a kid who said he was getting calls and texts daily to change schools.

Dwenger is just using the tools available to it to its best advantage. At least they are being open about it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Recruiting goes on everywhere. Looked at an article from 2019 written by Kyle Nedderip who wrote about the ongoing problem in Marion County with basketball recruiting.  Quoted a kid who said he was getting calls and texts daily to change schools.

Dwenger is just using the tools available to it to its best advantage. At least they are being open about it.

I ain't the one that brought it to the board.

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

That's a big boy for a freshman. Sounds like the sophomore that won all categories is an absolute beast in the weight room. What kind football player is he?

He's a guy that should have been a JV player as a SO, and would have been a darn good one... 6'1 215-220lbs.. by no means a burner, but not slow... 5.05 40... so, he's an OT for us.. (Shotgun wing T).... 

Anyways.. we had our least amount of depth we've ever had this past season, in my 8 years.... he had to start every game at right tackle.. and was okay. Hard for the young bucks sometimes. 

We have another to be SO that is 6'3 245lbs and he and the 6'5 kid will be the DTs... and will be coupled with our best pair of DEs ever. 

We are pretty excited about the coming season.. only player of importance that we are replacing is our 6'5 215lbs QB who was All State. He starts at the 4 on the basketball team...We will replace him with a 6'3/6'4 180lbs SO... smart kid, aggressive kid. 7th man on the basketball team as a FR thats ranked Top 5 in the state. 

• Like 1