How to reform college basketball officiating

This is just not sour grapes about last night's game. Over the years it seems like the officiating in college sports is getting worse every year.  This is just not about IU because if you watch enough games you see how bad it is. Take Rutgers this years game at OSU where a clear miss call cost them the game. I really blame the use of replay that is causing some of the problems with officials. 

I will put my thoughts on what should be done but would like your input as well.

1) Have 1 Governing body over officials and take that away from the conferences. 

2) Make officials full time NCAA employees. No more officials being sub contractors. 

3) Limit the amount of games officials can ref during the week. I see some officials every night on TV.

4) In the off season the refs need to go to the class room and work on their craft. We no longer can have these guys have other full time jobs and try to get officials .

5) Have some kind of grading system and if officials don't meet the standard they lose their jobs. 

6) Have one unified way of calling the game. No more of having one conference being called one way and another conference another way.

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

This is just not sour grapes about lady night's game. Over the years it seems like the officiating in college sports is getting worse every year.  This is just not about IU because if you watch enough games you see how bad it is. Take Rutgers this years game at OSU where a clear miss call cost them the game. I really blame the use of replay that is causing some of the problems with officials. 

I will put my thoughts on what should be done but wod like your input as well.

1) Have 1 Governing body over officials and take that away from the conferences. 

2) Make officials full time NCAA employees. No more officials being sub contractors. 

3) Limit the amount of games officials can ref during the week. I see some officials every night on TV.

4) In the off season the refs need to go to the class room and work on their craft. We no longer can have these guys have other full time jobs and try to get officials .

5) Have some kind of grading system and if officials don't meet the standard they lose their jobs. 

6) Have one unified way of calling the game. No more of having one conference being called one way and another conference another way.

1) Agree.

2) Agree. 

3) Possible. A game every night might be too much, and it's possible (likely) that the refs are doing so now because they aren't full time employees. Making the position/s FT could allow for more review/study time.

4) I'm pretty sure they do this to some extent. There is a lot of supplemental work that goes into officiating. But again, making the position/s FT could alleviate the stress of needing to find supplemental work/employment.

5) Not sure about losing a job over human error. Coaches surely make them all the time (I recognize the caveat that with enough errors a coach will likely be fired). But absolutely the officials should be held accountable in a quantifiable way. 

6) I don't know enough of the current rules and the differences between conferences when it comes to the rule book. I would imagine it's all intended to be run the same way across the board... but this certainly goes back to your first point. Having a governing body that oversees all of D1 vs by conference will make a difference. 

• Like 1

#2 is the big one. But, imo... they should be paid hefty, hefty amounts. What do they make now? 

Also.. I don't agree to #3. They can work 4-5 games a week, easy.  Assuming they're in reasonable shape.. and to be fair, most of these games do seem in shape. Again "most". 

But man, these games are a turn off at times.. to me. If Indiana isn't on, I am getting to the point I don't watch other games... or certainly not other B1G games. A LOT of that are the officials. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, IU Scott said:

This is just not sour grapes about last night's game. Over the years it seems like the officiating in college sports is getting worse every year.  This is just not about IU because if you watch enough games you see how bad it is. Take Rutgers this years game at OSU where a clear miss call cost them the game. I really blame the use of replay that is causing some of the problems with officials. 

I will put my thoughts on what should be done but would like your input as well.

Fire Courtney Greene. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

#2 is the big one. But, imo... they should be paid hefty, hefty amounts. What do they make now? 

Also.. I don't agree to #3. They can work 4-5 games a week, easy.  Assuming they're in reasonable shape.. and to be fair, most of these games do seem in shape. Again "most". 

But man, these games are a turn off at times.. to me. If Indiana isn't on, I am getting to the point I don't watch other games... or certainly not other B1G games. A LOT of that are the officials. 

4-5 games are fine but I do watch a lot of other games and I see some of the same officials every night

No idea if they do this already, but to the point on the grading system (they have this) make them explain why they make the calls they make to a superior. I certainly have to answer for decisions I make.

Someone else mentioned it, but they should have to do press after the game. Other leagues force officials to do this.

I guess for me it comes down to an accountability issue. 

Edited by KoB2011
  • Like 1

I know a B1G official. Not well, maybe talk to him very briefly once or twice a year. 

I do want to preface things by saying a few things. Basketball is a tough game to call. That doesn’t mean there isn’t room for improvement or that officials don’t want to/can’t improve. They take their job very seriously and are incentivized with bigger pay day when they officiate the bigger games. They get to officiate in the bigger games based on their performance. Secondly, these guys are people too. They have kids, wives, parents, friends, etc. and get thrashed on Twitter nightly. With Trayce recently posting his hate mail, I think it’s important to remember this. Side note, one of the people showing support for TJD in that Twitter thread was a Bo Boroski parody account. Just a tad hypocritical?

It’s also a pretty thankless job. Have we ever said on this board that the officials did a good job in a certain game? Ever? And if we did, we know the opposing fans would be trashing them. Officials will always be the bad guy and they will always suck at their job if viewed through the lens of objective fans. 

I’m sure officials would love to be employed by conferences or the NCAA. One thing that i know for sure is that they get paid per game. From that pay they have a lot of expenses: Healthcare, Travel, hotels, etc. Many choose to drive because flying is expensive and they’re coaching in college towns without airports. During the season, they are away from the families a lot. And while they make a decent amount of money per game, many do have jobs in the off-season. Many get burned out, which decreases the pool of experienced officials. Or the good ones will go to the NBA where they make a lot of money. 

I think like anything, the NCAA improves the situation by providing more resources by investing more money.  God knows, they have enough. 

7 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I know a B1G official. Not well, maybe talk to him very briefly once or twice a year. 

I do want to preface things by saying a few things. Basketball is a tough game to call. That doesn’t mean there isn’t room for improvement or that officials don’t want to/can’t improve. They take their job very seriously and are incentivized with bigger pay day when they officiate the bigger games. They get to officiate in the bigger games based on their performance. Secondly, these guys are people too. They have kids, wives, parents, friends, etc. and get thrashed on Twitter nightly. With Trayce recently posting his hate mail, I think it’s important to remember this. Side note, one of the people showing support for TJD in that Twitter thread was a Bo Boroski parody account. Just a tad hypocritical?

It’s also a pretty thankless job. Have we ever said on this board that the officials did a good job in a certain game? Ever? And if we did, we know the opposing fans would be trashing them. Officials will always be the bad guy and they will always suck at their job if viewed through the lens of objective fans. 

I’m sure officials would love to be employed by conferences or the NCAA. One thing that i know for sure is that they get paid per game. From that pay they have a lot of expenses: Healthcare, Travel, hotels, etc. Many choose to drive because flying is expensive and they’re coaching in college towns without airports. During the season, they are away from the families a lot. And while they make a decent amount of money per game, many do have jobs in the off-season. Many get burned out, which decreases the pool of experienced officials. Or the good ones will go to the NBA where they make a lot of money. 

I think like anything, the NCAA improves the situation by providing more resources by investing more money.  God knows, they have enough. 

Zebra Digital Backdrop Zebra Kiss Zebra With Creamy Sunset ...

• Like 1

On 1/7/2023 at 2:09 PM, tdhoosier said:

I have posted multiple times that officials did a good job in certain games. I think bigger pay... and spending a day a week watching film would help.

I think the conferences need to stop waiting on the NCAA to do anything, though. The conferences need to much more of force in helping these guys... what are they paid per game/what do they generally make per year? 

To me... I see no reason they aren't just salaried employees of the conference making 100-120K a year. They should be offered health insurance, and travel expenses should be taken care of. They have so many dumb/useless positions at these universities and conferences, but can't hire officials full time. Crazy to me. 

• Like 3

On 1/6/2023 at 6:11 PM, IU Scott said:

Scott, just listened to this and a lot of your questions are answered here. It’s an interview with the B1G associate commissioner. 

I posted this in another thread, but needed to get it up here too. Interesting perspective that of course needs to be taken with a grain of salt. It seems like this guy thinks a certain few B1G coaches are a bunch of divas. LOL. 

Interview starts at 44.00

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/former-big-ten-mbb-head-rick-boyages-explains-officiating/id1441320419?i=1000593571580

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Thanks 1

On 1/7/2023 at 11:13 AM, Drroogh said:

Something not mentioned yet, but I think mandatory film review with oversight would go a long ways. Coaches and players have to do it, why not officials?

Agree, and be accountable. Ask why one from a visiting team gets T up for flipping the ball to a ref and a home team coach an player during a time out can cross the 10 sec line cause mayhem and almost fights and nothing is called.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

My dumb ass opinion

1. Needs to be a full time job.  Paid according to level of conference/tourney.
2. Required Education/Training year round, even when season is out.
3. Required Monthly/Yearly Evaluations.  Top yearly evaluated officials get the best Conference.
3a  Evaluations are from coaches, Broadcasters, Peers,  industry experts and other sports officials.
3b Top rated Officials are the only ones chosen for Conference and NCAA Tourney.  Next level get NIT Tourney.  Then next level for CBI Tourney.
4. Treat it like Euro Football.  The Top officials move up and the bottom rated moved own.
4a Salary is based on your level.  Top level officials make more.
5. Bank and Finance evaluations yearly.
6. If you are reviewed below a certain score 2 times, you're moved from officiating.\

Thoughts?

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

My dumb ass opinion

3. Required Monthly/Yearly Evaluations.  Top yearly evaluated officials get the best Conference.
3a  Evaluations are from coaches, Broadcasters, Peers,  industry experts and other sports officials.
3b Top rated Officials are the only ones chosen for Conference and NCAA Tourney.  Next level get NIT Tourney.  Then next level for CBI Tourney.
4. Treat it like Euro Football.  The Top officials move up and the bottom rated moved own.
6. If you are reviewed below a certain score 2 times, you're moved from officiating.\

Thoughts?

I like it. Others have also mentioned not being able to ref games if you have ties to a particular university in that game.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

My dumb ass opinion

Thoughts?

I would just add "message board fans" to your list of evaluators on 3a. :coffee:

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

My dumb ass opinion

Thoughts?

mic up the head referee?

Edited by ledies22
  • Like 4

So back when I competed Sabre(my favorite weapon) was not electrified. Judging was done by two of your opponents teammates and two of your teammates. The match was overseen by a match judge that may or may not have ties to one of the teams. Don’t ever remember a time when I felt like it was my opponents judges against my judges! 
Maybe because they knew they too would be judged!

Maybe we should eliminate paid officials and just have the assistant coaches from both teams officiate?