How to reform college basketball officiating

1 hour ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

My dumb ass opinion

1. Needs to be a full time job.  Paid according to level of conference/tourney.
2. Required Education/Training year round, even when season is out.
3. Required Monthly/Yearly Evaluations.  Top yearly evaluated officials get the best Conference.
3a  Evaluations are from coaches, Broadcasters, Peers,  industry experts and other sports officials.
3b Top rated Officials are the only ones chosen for Conference and NCAA Tourney.  Next level get NIT Tourney.  Then next level for CBI Tourney.
4. Treat it like Euro Football.  The Top officials move up and the bottom rated moved own.
4a Salary is based on your level.  Top level officials make more.
5. Bank and Finance evaluations yearly.
6. If you are reviewed below a certain score 2 times, you're moved from officiating.\

Thoughts?

Make the officials do 5 minute post game media. Have a few plays ready on video, and have them explain their thought process. I am not talking about a the minor calls 50/50 OB calls. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Drroogh said:

So back when I competed Sabre(my favorite weapon) was not electrified. Judging was done by two of your opponents teammates and two of your teammates. The match was overseen by a match judge that may or may not have ties to one of the teams. Don’t ever remember a time when I felt like it was my opponents judges against my judges! 
Maybe because they knew they too would be judged!

Maybe we should eliminate paid officials and just have the assistant coaches from both teams officiate?

On second thought, they’d probably give each other technicals.

These are the 3 people I found who look to be in charge of officials. From most to least senior. 

Could not find contact info / email addresses. Anyone know of them or the format the conference uses? 

I think we should email the conference and let them know they have problems. This is not an IU issue so I think we will be better served leaving school affiliation out and focusing main issues. 

I plan to start with a focus on ethics. Why don't officials recuse themselves from officiating games where they, or immediate family, have ties? Alumni and boosters should not be doing those games. Going further, they shouldn't even be employed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Reacher said:

These are the 3 people I found who look to be in charge of officials. From most to least senior. 

Could not find contact info / email addresses. Anyone know of them or the format the conference uses? 

I think we should email the conference and let them know they have problems. This is not an IU issue so I think we will be better served leaving school affiliation out and focusing main issues. 

I plan to start with a focus on ethics. Why don't officials recuse themselves from officiating games where they, or immediate family, have ties? Alumni and boosters should not be doing those games. Going further, they shouldn't even be employed. 

Just like all bureaucrats, they’ll just blame it on someone else!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Reacher said:

Try first letter of first name, full last name @ bigten.org. 

Example: sclaus@bigten.org

Rumor has it that format might work.  

• Thanks 1

The Assembly Call guys made a vague reference a few weeks ago that there are known issues the B10 refs have with Woodson based on how he interacts with them and, in my loose paraphrasing “his NBA ego”. I haven’t seen or heard anything else about it but it sure feels like this sometimes. Especially when Scirotto turns his back on Woody after the first T and doesn’t even give him the courtesy of an explanation. Refs are human and make mistakes, that’s fine, it comes with the territory. But it seems like something else is at play here, at least with certain officials. 

Edited by Zville Hoosier

2 minutes ago, Zville Hoosier said:

The Assembly Call guys made a vague reference a few weeks ago that there are known issues the B10 refs have with Woodson based on how he interacts with them and, in my loose paraphrasing “his NBA ego”. I haven’t seen or heard anything else about it but it sure feels like this sometimes. Especially when Scirotto turns his back on Woody after the first T and doesn’t even give him the courtesy of an explanation. Refs are human and make mistakes, that’s fine, it comes with the territory. But it seems like something else is at play here, at least with certain officials. 

Refs need to be reminded they are 100% neutral in all games.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Zville Hoosier said:

You're not the first to bring this up, but IMO it just reinforces how bad the refs are if it's true. 

Besides what could Woody be doing that is so bad with his words, tone, etc. that we get this treatment when you compare it to guys like Izzo or Fran who public berate the officials and embarrass them? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Refs need to be reminded they are 100% neutral in all games.

The refs need to be reminded that NOBODY is there to watch them. Good officials defuse situations and don’t make obvious overreactions or calls that affect the game. I think DJ Carstenson? does a phenomenal job. Need more like him. 

• Like 3

Love Bilas on GameDay right now. Advocating for 4 quarters, advance ball at the end of the game, and most importantly extending the secondary defender charge to not being legal all the way back to the offensive players gather (right now it's when the offensive player leaves the floor). 

All would be great changes. 

• Like 1

I'm sure most of us have varying opinions on these.

Personally, I don't have a problem going to 4 quarters as long as the media timeouts are limited to the under 5 minute mark, like the women's game.

Don't like the advance the ball automatically at the end of the game. Why would end of game be any different than rest of game.

Charge/block should be  based on 2 things. Position and who initiates the contact. Defensive player has every right to the same spot as the offensive player.

Refs almost always ignore the rule of verticality. If offense player initiates contact, foul gets called on defensive player. Not right IMO.

• Like 5

On 2/18/2023 at 11:27 AM, DWB said:

I'm sure most of us have varying opinions on these.

Personally, I don't have a problem going to 4 quarters as long as the media timeouts are limited to the under 5 minute mark, like the women's game.

Don't like the advance the ball automatically at the end of the game. Why would end of game be any different than rest of game.

Charge/block should be  based on 2 things. Position and who initiates the contact. Defensive player has every right to the same spot as the offensive player.

Refs almost always ignore the rule of verticality. If offense player initiates contact, foul gets called on defensive player. Not right IMO.

On the charge/block thing from my post above/Bilas, it was speaking directly about secondary defenders sliding in, not the primary defender on the ball. 

So it would make secondary defenders sliding in late to take charges (which is a huge problem in college basketball) have to be in position when the offensive player begins their gather. Right now they just have to be there before they leave the ground. 

I think that would be a phenomenal change, and Bilas said the officials he speaks with are calling for that change. 

• Like 1

On 2/18/2023 at 10:47 AM, BGleas said:

On the charge/block thing from my post above/Bilas, it was speaking directly about secondary defenders sliding in, not the primary defender on the ball. 

So it would make secondary defenders sliding in late to take charges (which is a huge problem on college basketball) have to be in position when the offensive player begins their gather. Right now they just have to be there before they leave the ground. 

I think that would be a phenomenal change, and Bilas said the officials he speaks with are calling for that change. 

Not to mention how dangerous that is.

On 2/16/2023 at 12:00 PM, IowaHoosierFan said:

My dumb ass opinion

1. Needs to be a full time job.  Paid according to level of conference/tourney.
2. Required Education/Training year round, even when season is out.
3. Required Monthly/Yearly Evaluations.  Top yearly evaluated officials get the best Conference.
3a  Evaluations are from coaches, Broadcasters, Peers,  industry experts and other sports officials.
3b Top rated Officials are the only ones chosen for Conference and NCAA Tourney.  Next level get NIT Tourney.  Then next level for CBI Tourney.
4. Treat it like Euro Football.  The Top officials move up and the bottom rated moved own.
4a Salary is based on your level.  Top level officials make more.
5. Bank and Finance evaluations yearly.
6. If you are reviewed below a certain score 2 times, you're moved from officiating.\

Thoughts?

1. For sure
2. I believe this already happens through the NASO. How good is the training? I don’t know. 
3. Top conferences pay the most, so for the most part the big conferences are getting the officials in highest demand.
3a. At least in the podcast I posted above the guy being interviewed (forgot his title), gave officials tapes after all their games to review with their good calls and their bad calls.
3b. Already happens
4. This happens to a degree because if an official is evaluated bad by a conference, then the conference doesn’t hire them to ref games. But how good or bad are the evaluation methods used by the conferences? 
4a. Because the top officials get rewarded with the bigger games and the bigger games pay more, they technically do.
5. Is this allowed in any profession?
6. See 4.

From my outside perspective, the whole system is a patchwork of half-assedness, which all could be remedied by the NCAA salarying officials. At lease in football and basketball - high revenue sports that are bet on.

If we think the officials are bad in our conference, then imagine how they are in the Sun Belt conference. And while the B1G has a small degree of exclusivity with specific officials, it doesn’t mean that the officials we frequently see can’t officiate in other conferences. Or that the B1G can’t hire officials outside the conference to ref our games. 

If the NCAA is serious about this, then they have to invest money to streamline the training, evaluation and paying of officials. The officials gain experience in the mid-majors, but if pay is crap in those small conferences and turnover is high then we don’t have a pool of experienced officials to draw on. 

35 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

1. For sure
2. I believe this already happens through the NASO. How good is the training? I don’t know. 
3. Top conferences pay the most, so for the most part the big conferences are getting the officials in highest demand.
3a. At least in the podcast I posted above the guy being interviewed (forgot his title), gave officials tapes after all their games to review with their good calls and their bad calls.
3b. Already happens
4. This happens to a degree because if an official is evaluated bad by a conference, then the conference doesn’t hire them to ref games. But how good or bad are the evaluation methods used by the conferences? 
4a. Because the top officials get rewarded with the bigger games and the bigger games pay more, they technically do.
5. Is this allowed in any profession?
6. See 4.

From my outside perspective, the whole system is a patchwork of half-assedness, which all could be remedied by the NCAA salarying officials. At lease in football and basketball - high revenue sports that are bet on.

If we think the officials are bad in our conference, then imagine how they are in the Sun Belt conference. And while the B1G has a small degree of exclusivity with specific officials, it doesn’t mean that the officials we frequently see can’t officiate in other conferences. Or that the B1G can’t hire officials outside the conference to ref our games. 

If the NCAA is serious about this, then they have to invest money to streamline the training, evaluation and paying of officials. The officials gain experience in the mid-majors, but if pay is crap in those small conferences and turnover is high then we don’t have a pool of experienced officials to draw on. 

I was listening to the radio and forget who said this but it is wrong to say this group of officials are big ten officials. Also said there are no such thing as big ten officials because all officials works different conferences.

• Like 1

First I’m with everyone that officiating is crap! However, I think a bigger problem is the rules and the interpretation of such. The slapping at the ball. You can’t tell me that during a game with about 100 slaps only 2-3 are fouls? The offensive players intentionally causing contact or kicking out their leg. The bigger players being allowed to move the defender off of an established position. 
rant done 

12 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I was listening to the radio and forget who said this but it is wrong to say this group of officials are big ten officials. Also said there are no such thing as big ten officials because all officials works different conferences.

there are a group of officials who primarily coach B1G games, but per B1G rules they they can't ref the same team's game twice or more in 10 days (or something like that). Due to how the schedule works out and math, the officials have gaps in their schedules and then ref other conference's games. (And the B1G pulls in officials who primarily ref other conference's games.)