Purdue Pre Game Thread

IUFLA

Of late, Purdue just throws size at IU and that's been enough more often than not. Even when IU plays it close it seems the late key rebounds and put backs have been all Purdue. Fortunately IU picked up a W last season but much of the recent past has gone the wrong way. Some day, not sure when, IU will realize you need more than a couple 6'8 guys and a 6'9 to match up with much bigger teams. You can go small if you can consistently shoot lights out, but in spite of IU's better shooting this season it's not been near enough in several seasons. 

I'm hoping home court works its magic, maybe IU gets the calls, but this is not a great match up for IU. If you're asking TJD to handle 7'4 305 for 40 minutes, you're asking too much. Especially when TJD has no known jumper to work with. Malik may foul out in 10 minutes of playing time. Race? Not sure he's ready yet and if he was it would be asking a lot for him to guard Edey. Duncomb is a no show for his career at this point.

If you want to make a statement and help your post season seeding, this would be a huge win. Let's hope they can come up with a game plan that works.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Euroclydon said:

Of late, Purdue just throws size at IU and that's been enough more often than not. Even when IU plays it close it seems the late key rebounds and put backs have been all Purdue. Fortunately IU picked up a W last season but much of the recent past has gone the wrong way. Some day, not sure when, IU will realize you need more than a couple 6'8 guys and a 6'9 to match up with much bigger teams. You can go small if you can consistently shoot lights out, but in spite of IU's better shooting this season it's not been near enough in several seasons. 

I'm hoping home court works its magic, maybe IU gets the calls, but this is not a great match up for IU. If you're asking TJD to handle 7'4 305 for 40 minutes, you're asking too much. Especially when TJD has no known jumper to work with. Malik may foul out in 10 minutes of playing time. Race? Not sure he's ready yet and if he was it would be asking a lot for him to guard Edey. Duncomb is a no show for his career at this point.

If you want to make a statement and help your post season seeding, this would be a huge win. Let's hope they can come up with a game plan that works.  

We should have swept them last year. Who cares what happened when Archie Miller was coach? 

In Maryland at Purdue they put a ton of pressure with size/speed advantage on Loyer/Smith. I think we can do the same. The goal would be to draw Edey up to the FT line and let TJD 1 on 1 him....but I think Edey will just drop/sag which means tons of ball reversal and put his head on a swivel....maybe he picks up a cheapy or 3.

I wouldn't even mind a bit of 3/4 court pressure. Make their guards so uncomfortable. Purdue is really good but not some unbeatable force. We shoot more than 35% from 3 I like our chances. Biggest thing will be to make TJD doesn't get taken out of the game early with cheap fouls. You just know the refs will try to control this one early. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Purdue is good, but good grief they aren’t the Boston Celtics like some of you act. I expect us to win at home and will be disappointed if we don’t. 

Purdue is not only good, they are scary good.  As in FF good.  To think otherwise would be utter bias.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, rico said:

Purdue is not only good, they are scary good.  As in FF good.  To think otherwise would be utter bias.  

Sure, but we are really good, too. At least when we play like we are capable of. 

No reason to think we won't play our A game at home, against our biggest rival. If we don't do that, I think it's fair to be disappointed. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, rico said:

As much as it sucks to admit it, this is absolutely true. We've played 2 other top 10 (NET) teams this year and they beat us soundly. Yes, playing at home will help but it will take a whole lot of things to be better than average for IU to pull this one out IMO

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Sure, but we are really good, too. At least when we play like we are capable of. 

No reason to think we won't play our A game at home, against our biggest rival. If we don't do that, I think it's fair to be disappointed. 

So the question is really do you think our A game is better than Purdue's A game?

Edited by HoosierDPU95

4 minutes ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

So the question is really do you think out A game is better than Purdue's A game?

We won't know until Xavier gets back unfortunately. Given the injuries to him, Race, and even JHS early on we haven't had the opportunity yet this year to truly see what our A game ceiling is.

• Like 1

Last year Michael Durr... Michael Durr for God's sake ... Guarded Edey after Trayce got into foul trouble... Held him to 12 points...And I'm quite sure Woody is challenging Trayce all week... 

As I said in the OP, Edey will get his as long as they don't call 3 seconds and let him push off with his shoulders...

It's the other guys that we have to guard and not let kill us, like Gillis did to Penn St last night...it can't be someone like Newman, Jenkins, or Gillis going off from deep... 

I actually like the Loyer-Galloway matchup for us, as well as Smith-JHS... Kopp-Morton is a wash I think, and hopefully Race can check Furst, especially off the offensive glass...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

So the question is really do you think our A game is better than Purdue's A game?

I don't actually think that's the question, it's also how we matchup and our strengths vs their strengths. Plus we are at home, and they're not.

Obviously Purdue is very good and number 1 for a reason, but I do think when you look at what their weaknesses are we can attack them better than most teams can. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Last year Michael Durr... Michael Durr for God's sake ... Guarded Edey after Trayce got into foul trouble... Held him to 12 points...And I'm quite sure Woody is challenging Trayce all week... 

As I said in the OP, Edey will get his as long as they don't call 3 seconds and let him push off with his shoulders...

It's the other guys that we have to guard and not let kill us, like Gillis did to Penn St last night...it can't be someone like Newman, Jenkins, or Gillis going off from deep... 

I actually like the Loyer-Galloway matchup for us, as well as Smith-JHS... Kopp-Morton is a wash I think, and hopefully Race can check Furst, especially off the offensive glass...

I think you're right about what our matchups will be, but I do wonder how Purdue will guard us. I can't imagine they're going to put Smith on JHS, so does that mean he'll be on Kopp? That's a big height advantage for us, I'd like to think Miller can take advantage of that and shoot with confidence as Smith closes out. 

9 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I don't actually think that's the question, it's also how we matchup and our strengths vs their strengths. Plus we are at home, and they're not.

Obviously Purdue is very good and number 1 for a reason, but I do think when you look at what their weaknesses are we can attack them better than most teams can. 

I hear that, and agree. I guess I'm just thinking the scenario of TJD getting  2 fouls and having to sit out significant minutes in the first half is way more likely than Edey getting 2 and having to sit. If that happens, our matchups go down the drain. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

I hear that, and agree. I guess I'm just thinking the scenario of TJD getting  2 fouls and having to sit out significant minutes in the first half is way more likely than Edey getting 2 and having to sit. If that happens, our matchups go down the drain. 

I totally get why we'd be worried about that, but they average the same amount of fouls per game. I'm not sure TJD is actually any more like to foul Edey because of lack of size than Edey is to foul TJD because of lack of quickness. 

2 hours ago, Euroclydon said:

We can't afford for TJD or JHS to get into foul trouble..... They have been very good about that all year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

I think you're right about what our matchups will be, but I do wonder how Purdue will guard us. I can't imagine they're going to put Smith on JHS, so does that mean he'll be on Kopp? That's a big height advantage for us, I'd like to think Miller can take advantage of that and shoot with confidence as Smith closes out. 

Morton on JHS?

a lot of things favor Purdue 

XJ

JG ?

Race 70%?
Logan???

None of that matters if TG & Tamar go MSU game….8-9 on 3’s

Or Purdue freshman play like freshman