Purdue Pre Game Thread

IUFLA

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

I'd love to have X back asap. Saw a stat this morning that since Nov 30th X and JHS have only played a total of 6 minutes together.

With that said. Big picture. I want X fully healthy for March because there isn't one dominant team in the country and some team out there is just going to get hot for 6 games and win it all. 

....this^^^.   What we really need X to bring and do well is his stellar defense and ball handling. His foot has to be ready to take the intensity of a BIGTEN game. He is high energy all the time.

• Like 1

Believe me, I'd like to see XJ back in the worst way...

BUT...

If there's ANY chance of aggravating the injury, no way...And just looking at history, XJ is kind of a slow starter...Beginning of last year he was playing ok through the first 16 games

image.png.68a712eb00c0c07dc7eb4838dc82f0a9.png

...then started playing better...

image.png.539a238ac85633fa6d564775b3714f57.png

had the Windy City 5 issue, and his next 3 games were subpar

image.png.29d1be4a890494f81c2df1dbbdac0b8a.png

Then went on a tear at the end of the season...

image.png.75fd2c2417b0ac111e884bb65589dd57.png

Then, the beginning of this year...

image.png.78d227fc0e81d52872e2303ba5ba7c50.png

I think he was just getting to the point he was at the end of last year when he got injured...

I guess my point is, even when he DOES come back, I'm not expecting the form he showed at the end of last year...

I think Woody will play it just as he has with Race...Maybe even a little slower...

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

"If you ask Xavier, he thinks he can play tomorrow (Purdue game). Listen, I've been around basketball a long time. That's impossible. The guy broke his foot. I'm not using that in a negative way. I wish he could play tomorrow. But I don't know."

It would sure be a nice surprise or boost. The crowd would go INSANE, but I just don't see it happening this soon. I will have to say, his comment of "I just don't know" has me intrigued a little bit. 

Who said this?

15 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

If nothing else the "but I don't know" makes Painter have to think about one more scenario...

Woody pulling out all the psychological stops for this one... 

It's a chess match sometimes..... Obviously Coach Allen used it every Saturday. Unfortunately I don't think it ever mattered until Dexter came into the equation.

• Like 1

first part of the quote was clipped.....

On Xavier Johnson and whether he’s close to a return:

“Not really. He’s been out there trying to shoot a little bit. He just got out of the boot. I mean, I just don’t know. It’s hard to say when he’s going to actually be back.

“If you ask Xavier, he thinks he can play tomorrow. Listen, I’ve been around basketball a long time. That’s impossible. The guy broke his foot. I’m not using that in a negative way. I wish he could play tomorrow. But I don’t know.

“At this point I’m just trying to deal with the guys that are in uniform.”

I'm hoping for a quicker return, but I'm guessing another few weeks. 

40 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

You can talk matchups & injuries all you want…..

Come out flat 

miss 4-5 shots 

throw in a couple turnovers 

TJD dunk….a couple 3’s 

Crowd goes insane and Purdue is in big trouble  🚽 

OR

Malik fouls out in warm ups

Edey opens an RV park in the lane, complete with a dancing class

JHS gets called for double dribble when he doesn't have the ball

Jenkins or Newman come in and go 8-12 from three

Crowd goes into Marcel Merceau mode

You can't out-despair us, buddy ;) 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

14 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

OR

Malik fouls out in warm ups

Edey opens an RV park in the lane, complete with a dancing class

JHS gets called for double dribble when he doean't have the ball

Jenkins or Newman come in and go 8-12 from three

Crowd goes into Marcel Merceau mode

You can't out-despair us, buddy ;) 

Cuz brother we been there...

• Like 2

This isn't directed at any one person in particular, but I guess I just view JG differently than a lot of you. IMO, he's clearly fourth in the pecking order among TJD, Race, MR, and JG. There's only 80 minutes, TJD is going to get 35-40 barring foul trouble in a close game. That just doesn't leave a lot of the other guys, and I think I'd rather Race and Malik play 20-25 each.

Foul trouble and injuries change things of course, and I like JG and want him healthy, I'm just not seeing the big loss in any one game from him being out. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

XJ just got out of a boot. We dont know what he had done other than a surgery of some kind. I would think some rehab is in order to get some flexibility back in his foot and ankle. I dont think 5 days is long enough.

On the other hand. He could have been rehabbing for the last month, comes out tomorrow and drops 30.....I dont want to take all of your hope out of it......lol.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

This isn't directed at any one person in particular, but I guess I just view JG differently than a lot of you. IMO, he's clearly fourth in the pecking order among TJD, Race, MR, and JG. There's only 80 minutes, TJD is going to get 35-40 barring foul trouble in a close game. That just doesn't leave a lot of the other guys, and I think I'd rather Race and Malik play 20-25 each.

Foul trouble and injuries change things of course, and I like JG and want him healthy, I'm just not seeing the big loss in any one game from him being out. 🤷‍♂️

I get what you are saying. I look at it as lets have everyone healthy and ready and let Woody give out the mins. Bad problem to have, not enough mins.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

My gut tells me he’s not back until the BTT at best, but I’ll take that. If that’s the case, hopefully be able to help us in the Big Dance.

I bet sooner than later. its 10 to 12 weeks to heal. Its healed to be out of the boot. I'm betting in the next 4 games.

XJ was injured on Dec 17th. His surgery was a little over 6 weeks ago. Only him and his doctors know a good timline but I dont expect him back and I dont think they should be playing him more than spot minutes if anything before the Illinois game on Feb 18th.  The rest of the schedule is manageable.  Id rather not have him aggravate his injury by coming back too soon. I dont know if anyone has dealt with foot/ankle injuries but once the bone heals there is still stability isssues and rehabilitation that needs done. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 5