Charges and Techs on Flops

Not sure if this has specifically been discussed, but after having watched 3/4s of a season with with the new rule calling flops as technicals, it’s probably been the most welcome and transformative change I’ve seen in 20 years.  Gone are the days off guaranteed 1-2 offensive foul charge calls on road games and even last game it was refreshing to see the Rutgers player get called on it for collapsing to the ground after his 3 ball.  In seasons past that would have been 3 foul shots.  The charge taking thing was so over done and definitely the most annoying aspect of the game to me—it had become a gimmick.  I’m impressed the ‘stick’ has been so effective.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, iuecon12 said:

Not sure if this has specifically been discussed, but after having watched 3/4s of a season with with the new rule calling flops as technicals, it’s probably been the most welcome and transformative change I’ve seen in 20 years.  Gone are the days off guaranteed 1-2 offensive foul charge calls on road games and even last game it was refreshing to see the Rutgers player get called on it for collapsing to the ground after his 3 ball.  In seasons past that would have been 3 foul shots.  The charge taking thing was so over done and definitely the most annoying aspect of the game to me—it had become a gimmick.  I’m impressed the ‘stick’ has been so effective.

It has definitely improved the game, and even though it is till called inconsistently, it is deterring a lot of players from even trying it.  Hopefully it's not one of those things that is a focus for one season, or only up until the tournament.  Got my fingers crossed we will still see it called 10 years from now.  

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, 5fouls said:

It has definitely improved the game, and even though it is till called inconsistently, it is deterring a lot of players from even trying it.  Hopefully it's not one of those things that is a focus for one season, or only up until the tournament.  Got my fingers crossed we will still see it called 10 years from now.  

It’s almost as pathetic as soccer players acting like they’re dying and then jumping up and running around like I could never do!

• Like 1

I like the flopping rule, but I don't seen it being called nearly as much as some of you, or that it's really had any impact. 

How many times yesterday did Michigan shooters fall down after taking 3's yesterday with nobody touching them? Felt like a lot. 

There was that play in the first half where Malik drove and the Michigan defender started falling backwards without anyone touching him, which was a really dangerous play. Luckily they refs rightly called a block and nobody got hurt. (There was a similar play in the Rutgers game)

I just don't see these flopping techs getting called very often. 

This may seem odd, but I think officials have way too hard of a job as is. I think they should do away with “in-game” flopping calls. They are debatable now a lot of times anyway. I think a fourth official should be keeping an eye on the video review and tip off the floor officials OR do it retroactively, you get hit with so many (2,3) you are suspended for a game. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 4

8 hours ago, BGleas said:

I like the flopping rule, but I don't seen it being called nearly as much as some of you, or that it's really had any impact. 

How many times yesterday did Michigan shooters fall down after taking 3's yesterday with nobody touching them? Felt like a lot. 

There was that play in the first half where Malik drove and the Michigan defender started falling backwards without anyone touching him, which was a really dangerous play. Luckily they refs rightly called a block and nobody got hurt. (There was a similar play in the Rutgers game)

I just don't see these flopping techs getting called very often. 

They haven’t called it a lot, but I’m okay with that. Of course every flop won’t be called, but simply a no call (which I’ve seen quite a bit) is better than rewarding a player for flopping. I like the no calls a lot better because it takes some pressure off the refs. I’d rather have them make calls they deem necessary than having a bigger influence and calling a bunch of techs for flops.

• Like 1

Sorry but I hate the new flopping rule. Allegedly it's there because the powers that be want to rid the game of these "flops". OK, here's an idea....just call it a blocking foul? Or just ignore them? Instead they're making the refs (who already have a very difficult job) decide if the player is faking the contact or not. Just ridiculous IMO.

And like most of these new rules, I saw it get called a bunch early on and then not so much recently. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, BruceDouglas said:

Sorry but I hate the new flopping rule. Allegedly it's there because the powers that be want to rid the game of these "flops". OK, here's an idea....just call it a blocking foul? Or just ignore them? Instead they're making the refs (who already have a very difficult job) decide if the player is faking the contact or not. Just ridiculous IMO.

And like most of these new rules, I saw it get called a bunch early on and then not so much recently. 

I don't mind the rule.  Flopping had gotten absolutely ridiculous. I have no problem T-ing up only the most obvious examples and using your suggestions otherwise, but I'm happy to see less flopping.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, BruceDouglas said:

I agree with this, but at the same time, i liked it a couple years ago when they put an emphasis on the flopping call on the perimeter players jerking their head back like they were being clothes lined. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

I agree with this, but at the same time, i liked it a couple years ago when they put an emphasis on the flopping call on the perimeter players jerking their head back like they were being clothes lined. 

I think that one and the falling down purposely after a jump shot are the two they need to legislate out of the game. 

I dont think they should call a Tech on just a guy overselling a charge. That should just be a block and a move on. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, BruceDouglas said:

Very much agree, and I've seen some bad ones called.

6 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I don't mind the rule.  Flopping had gotten absolutely ridiculous. I have no problem T-ing up only the most obvious examples and using your suggestions otherwise, but I'm happy to see less flopping.

Not sure there's a whole lot less and refs still love to call the charge.

5 hours ago, ledies22 said:

aka the Melo Trimble

5 hours ago, 5fouls said:

A no call does nothing to discourage the act.  

Eventually it does. Coaches will stop teaching it as it takes the player out of the play.

7 hours ago, BruceDouglas said:

They had blocking foul.  It wasn't enough of a deterrent.   Players took chance anyway 

21 hours ago, 5fouls said:

A no call does nothing to discourage the act.  

15 hours ago, iuswingman said:

They had blocking foul.  It wasn't enough of a deterrent.   Players took chance anyway 

Agreed.

It'd be great if officials would stop calling charges on obvious flops, but college officials for whatever reason love to call a charge. Refs weren't changing this behavior, despite years of it being a point of emphasis, so you have to give them new instructions.

It'd be great if players wouldn't flop. But they know college officials love to call a charge, so they know they're going to get rewarded for more often than not. The worst case for flopping had been that you might end up out of position on defense or get called for a blocking foul. If you're flopping it's because that was likely to happen anyway. So the risk/reward calculation was entirely in one direction. Introducing a technical for flopping makes it a riskier play. IMO it should be called more often to further swing that balance.

I'm fully on board with the idea of banning the charge. There's little I hate worse than watching a defender grab his nuts and fall down. You're not making a basketball play, you're just abusing the rulebook. If referees have a hard enough job as it is, let's make it easier by taking this difficult judgment call off their plate.