Iowa Post game

ButlerHoosier

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I think the problem is some fans actually think we are a championship caliber team. I keep seeing this argument about not being able to win 6 straight games. I never ft this would be a team capable of winning the championship. Actually can't believe anyone actually thought we had a chance to win it.

Going into the season….no, I didn’t think we were. But you don’t think we SHOULD have an outside chance given some of our performances this year? We’re going to be a top 3-5 seed for crying out loud with NO dominant teams out there. Have an all American on our team and one of the top freshmen in the country. On any given night we can beat anybody. It’s the consistency that’s lacking and I don’t understand it or who is to blame for that. But you sound like you’re making excuses already in case we fall on our faces or are disappointing in the tournament. I don’t think we can win the whole thing because we haven’t put multiple quality games together in a row, but I certainly think it’s possible. We have enough talent. 

4 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Going into the season….no, I didn’t think we were. But you don’t think we SHOULD have an outside chance given some of our performances this year? We’re going to be a top 3-5 seed for crying out loud with NO dominant teams out there. Have an all American on our team and one of the top freshmen in the country. On any given night we can beat anybody. It’s the consistency that’s lacking and I don’t understand it or who is to blame for that. But you sound like you’re making excuses already in case we fall on our faces or are disappointing in the tournament. I don’t think we can win the whole thing because we haven’t put multiple quality games together in a row, but I certainly think it’s possible. We have enough talent. 

No I don't, we only have one consistent scorer and you need at least 3 consistent scorers to win the championship. I don't think we are athletic enough on the wings to be a good enough defensive team.

38 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I think the problem is some fans actually think we are a championship caliber team. I keep seeing this argument about not being able to win 6 straight games. I never ft this would be a team capable of winning the championship. Actually can't believe anyone actually thought we had a chance to win it.

I do.  Every team in the NCAA has similar problems.  In a year without a dominant team, probably 30 different teams have a real chance to win it all.

As much of a steaming turd as that game was, I still think IU has a chance to be very successful in March Madness.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

No I don't, we only have one consistent scorer and you need at least 3 consistent scorers to win the championship. I don't think we are athletic enough on the wings to be a good enough defensive team.

This is the overreaction to last night's loss talking. 

Did you not see Alabama go to Oklahoma and get absolutely thumped?  Did you not see IU sweep a team that was number one for as long as anyone this season?  EVERY team has issues.  Last night was unacceptable, but you are failing to look at the overall body of work of all teams this year.  I don't see a team in D1 that IU is not capable of beating.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I do.  Every team in the NCAA has similar problems.  In a year without a dominant team, probably 30 different teams have a real chance to win it all.

As much of a steaming turd as that game was, I still think IU has a chance to be very successful in March Madness.

I just think with injuries especially to XJ I just don't see it.  I don't think we are as talented as some think we are. I see two starters that would be bench players on championship teams(Kopp, Race.  Also Galloway should be your 5th option at best in your starting lineup. Also right now we have 4 players out and that hurts in the games but also on how you can practice.  If XJ was fully healthy and playing well I might think differently.

As for our inconsistency I don't see it that way. Our overall winning percentage is 67% which isn't great but pretty good. On our last 14 games our winning percentage is 71% which is pretty good.  Last night was unacceptable and should have been ready to play.

Edited by IU Scott

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I just think with injuries especially to XJ I just don't see it.  I don't think we are as talented bad some think we are. I see two starters that would be bench players on championship teams(Kopp, Race.  Also Galloway should be your 5th option at best in your starting lineup. Also right now we have 4 players out and that hurts I'm the games but also on how you can practice.  If XJ was fully healthy and playing well I might think differently.

As for our inconsistency I don't see it that way. Our overall winning percentage is 67% which isn't great but pretty good. On our last 14 games our winning percentage is 71% which is pretty good.  Last night was unacceptable and should have been ready to play.

Consistency isn’t just about the wins and losses, it’s about how they play. 

3 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

This is the overreaction to last night's loss talking. 

Did you not see Alabama go to Oklahoma and get absolutely thumped?  Did you not see IU sweep a team that was number one for as long as anyone this season?  EVERY team has issues.  Last night was unacceptable, but you are failing to look at the overall body of work of all teams this year.  I don't see a team in D1 that IU is not capable of beating.

I agree with everything you said but I still don't see us being a championship caliber team. I don't think anyone in the big ten is one either.  I just look at teams like Alabama with their length and athleticism and don't see how we compete with them

Just now, IU Scott said:

I agree with everything you said but I still don't see us being a championship caliber team. I don't think anyone in the big ten is one either.  I just look at teams like Alabama with their length and athleticism and don't see how we compete with them

Oklahoma didn't feel like they couldn't compete.  They took Alabama to the woodshed.  IU is a better team than Oklahoma and absolutely capable of beating a team like Alabama.

2 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Oklahoma didn't feel like they couldn't compete.  They took Alabama to the woodshed.  IU is a better team than Oklahoma and absolutely capable of beating a team like Alabama.

That was just one game.  I am not basing this on how we played last night. Alabama would cause us problems because how they play with good guards driving to the basket and shooting a lot of 3's

Edited by IU Scott

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I just think with injuries especially to XJ I just don't see it.  I don't think we are as talented bad some think we are. I see two starters that would be bench players on championship teams(Kopp, Race.  Also Galloway should be your 5th option at best in your starting lineup. Also right now we have 4 players out and that hurts I'm the games but also on how you can practice.  If XJ was fully healthy and playing well I might think differently.

You can point out problems with every team this year.  Some have more problems than others, but I see no 40-0 UK dominant teams in this year's field.

You have a right to be pissed about last night's abomination.  It's games like last night's that have me watching every IU win after the fact and not watching the losses at all.  I'm mad enough looking at the score and statistics.  I can only imagine my level of frustration watching that garbage in real time.  My sister and brother-in-law went to watch on her season tickets.  Brother-in-law walked out shortly into the 2nd half and sat in the truck.  My sister finally gave up with about four to go.  The players should be absolutely ashamed of laying an egg like that after beating Purdue on the road.  I hate the mental softness of today's college basketball player but it's far from an IU-only issue.  Very few really have the mental toughness that I used to see regularly.  Probably a product of younger players, and probably a product of too many participation trophies in today's world.  IU (and other elite teams) used to walk into any venue thinking they should and would win.  Didn't always happen, but that mindset used to be a lot more consistent than it is today.

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

That was just one game.  I am not basing this on how we played last night. Alabama would cause us problems because how they play with good guards driving to the basket and shooting a lot of 3's

Trust me...Alabama has had more than one bad game.  Every team has.

...and they can all be beat.

1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

You can point out problems with every team this year.  Some have more problems than others, but I see no 40-0 UK dominant teams in this year's field.

You have a right to be pissed about last night's abomination.  It's games like last night's that have me watching every IU win after the fact and not watching the losses at all.  I'm mad enough looking at the score and statistics.  I can only imagine my level of frustration watching that garbage in real time.  My sister and brother-in-law went to watch on her season tickets.  Brother-in-law walked out shortly into the 2nd half and sat in the truck.  My sister finally gave up with about four to go.  The players should be absolutely ashamed of laying an egg like that after beating Purdue on the road.  I hate the mental softness of today's college basketball player but it's far from an IU-only issue.  Very few really have the mental toughness that I used to see regularly.  Probably a product of younger players, and probably a product of too many participation trophies in today's world.  IU (and other elite teams) used to walk into any venue thinking they should and would win.  Didn't always happen, but that mindset used to be a lot more consistent than it is today.

I am disappointed about last night but aren't mad about it. I never once  this year thought we had a chance for a final four.  Like I said with XJ only playing 7 games and all the other injuries has caused us not to be as good as we thought we would be. Before the season I picked us to win the big ten and lose in the sweet 16

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Of coarse anybody can be beat on any given day but how about winning 6 straight games

All you have to do is look at a team like Jim Valvano's NC State Wolfpack to understand that it's absolutely possible, especially this year.

1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

All you have to do is look at a team like Jim Valvano's NC State Wolfpack to understand that it's absolutely possible, especially this year.

Yes they can do it but I don't see it. Also I'm 1983 game there were no shot clock or 3 pointers. NC St. held the ball a lot against Houston and slowed them down but you can't do that today.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Yes they can do it but I don't see it. Also I'm 1983 game there were no shot clock or 3 pointers. NC St. held the ball a lot against Houston and slowed them down but you can't do that today.

Don't be surprised if you're surprised at this year's national champion.  I think it's going to be a very entertaining tournament...more so than usual even because it lacks dominant predictable teams.

8 minutes ago, Inequality said:

Did you stay the duration? I noticed folks leaving with about 10 to go. We left around the 7 mark and there was a steady flow out the doors.

I left at the under 8 timeout as it was getting ready to start. Wasn't a big fan of the half time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Not sure where you get these “laws” that you claim are required to win a championship. Off the top of my head I can think of two fairly recent examples of teams that won it all without “3 consistent scorers.” UCONN was carried by Kenna Walker and a bunch of role players. Louisville won with Russ Smith doing the same. 
We may not have what it takes to win in all, but we have enough that it’s not out of the question.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Don't be surprised if you're surprised at this year's national champion.  I think it's going to be a very entertaining tournament...more so than usual even because it lacks dominant predictable teams.

It should be very entertaining and I never have wanted more to be wrong about how we will do.

13 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Not sure where you get these “laws” that you claim are required to win a championship. Off the top of my head I can think of two fairly recent examples of teams that won it all without “3 consistent scorers.” UCONN was carried by Kenna Walker and a bunch of role players. Louisville won with Russ Smith doing the same. 
We may not have what it takes to win in all, but we have enough that it’s not out of the question.

They always say you need 2-3 pros on your team. I am talking about 3-4 players who average double figures and show up every night. Just looked at that UCONN team and they had 4 players drafted in the NBA draft. They had 3 average double figures and their 4th leading scorer averaged 8

Edited by IU Scott

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

They always say you need 2-3 pros on your team. I am talking about 3-4 players who average double figures and show up every night.

Walker’s team had one other guy who averaged 11. Smith’s team had Peyton Silva who averaged 10 even. Neither had any other guys averaging double figures.

3 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Walker’s team had one other guy who averaged 11. Smith’s team had Peyton Silva who averaged 10 even. Neither had any other guys averaging double figures.

Like I said in that post thst UCONN had 3 players averaged double figures and another 8. Also that team had 4 players who were drafted in tbe NBA draft

5 hours ago, Kdug said:

IMO it makes 0 sense to talk about next year's team when this season is still going on, and we have no idea what the roster will even look like. Last year's Illinois team would be a good comp to this year's IU team. They were a 4 seed who lost their entire starting 5. This year's Illinois team is currently projected as an 8 seed, and of their 5 best players only 1 was even on the roster last March.

Roster building is way different than it was even 5 years ago. You can add serious impact players through the transfer portal, or even add impact freshman after coaches are fired at the end of the year. It's probably safe to say IU won't be a national title contender next year, but that doesn't mean they can't field a solid team.

1. I think it makes zero sense to respond to a post about next year’s team saying that it makes zero sense to talk about next year’s team.

2. We do have some ideas of what the roster will look like. It won’t have 4 guys who have been in Woody’s system, and it won’t have one of the best freshmen in the country this year. We also know who could potentially return, and what those players have shown us to this point, which isn’t much outside of Trey. 

3. I never said anything about not being competitive next year, just noting that there are good reasons to be concerned. Most of the teams in the B1G are going to be returning at least some of their starting 5, and other guys that are familiar with their individual systems and whatnot. 

4. i think most people on here know the game has changed in a number of ways with respect to roster building. 

• Like 1