Transfer Portal 2023

Danomatic

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

When did he threaten to transfer? Got a link? Or are we on the supposition train again?

And you're saying JG has sucked in every single game he's ever played in for IU?

Come on man...He's had his moments...

When did he threaten to transfer? the past two offseasons. 

I have not said he sucked in every single game. I asked what he was known for? I have no idea what he is known for that's why I asked you. 

Edited by btownqb

7 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I never said that, don't make crap up. You said Mike Woodson would be a hypocrite, not me.

27 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

What is the purpose in bringing up this post? I am personally very proud of what it says about me as a person, but what do you think it says that someone can have one opinion and then change it over time as new data/information comes available?

33 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

So if it happens, you're position will be what?

Please whatever you do, don't spin it that you love everything Mike Woodson because you're taking a very clear stance on something and saying he'll be a hypocrite if he pushes guys out (conveniently ignoring the guys he has already pushed out). 

Aren't you in the third quoted post saying that if facts, and I DO mean FACTS and not supposition, come out that I'm mired in my initial stance no matter what, yet your opinion on Mike Woodson can change in the blink of an eye? If a player would come out and say, "Coach Woodson told me I was cut" then yeah, I'd be very disappointed in that. And I would consider it hypocritical if the kid had done nothing wrong...Woody is always saying it's his job to get these kids to be better basketball players AND better men...

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

When did he threaten to transfer? the past two offseasons. 

I have not said he sucked in every single game. I asked what he was known for? I have no idea what he is known for that's why I asked you. 

I'm serious here...was the threat to transfer something you heard him say, or is that internet chatter? I never heard it...

He can play defense against certain players...

He can, when his head is right, make hustle plays, and rebound...

Mike Woodson told him (and everyone else on the team) it's his job to lake them better basketball players...So who failed here?

Just now, IUFLA said:

I'm serious here...was the threat to transfer something you heard him say, or is that internet chatter? I never heard it...

Mike Woodson told him (and everyone else on the team) it's his job to lake them better basketball players...So who failed here?

I don't blame others if I fail/struggle.... so, you can figure out who's fault I think it is. That isn't relevant at all though. 

And... it's from a pretty trusted source. I doubt he is courted this time if tries to leave, at minimum. 

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Aren't you in the third quoted post saying that if facts, and I DO mean FACTS and not supposition, come out that I'm mired in my initial stance no matter what, yet your opinion on Mike Woodson can change in the blink of an eye? If a player would come out and say, "Coach Woodson told me I was cut" then yeah, I'd be very disappointed in that. And I would consider it hypocritical if the kid had done nothing wrong...Woody is always saying it's his job to get these kids to be better basketball players AND better men...

Yes, my opinion of the hiring of Mike Woodson can change as more information becomes available. My opinion of any coach and their ability to perform their job is always going to change as new information comes in. Again, I'm proud that I am willing to change my opinions and beliefs as I get new information.

That's a very different conversation than saying someone is a hypocrite. You're already running away as fast as you can from that position because you realize it may mean you have to criticize an IU basketball coach and you're trying to say, "well I'd have to have a direct quote".... okay, man.

Mike Woodson and nearly every D1 coach pushes guys out of their programs for performance. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

I don't blame others if I fail/struggle.... so, you can figure out who's fault I think it is. That isn't relevant at all though. 

And... it's from a pretty trusted source. I doubt he is courted this time if tries to leave, at minimum. 

And that I would have no issue with...

Just now, IUFLA said:

Two years ago he put his name into the portal so that is a good indication. So a coach can make every player better so if that is the case I should have been able to play at the D1 level.  In the end it is up to the player to get into the gym on his own during the off season to work on his game.  The coaches can do so much especially today since there is a limit if time that the coaching staff can spend with the players.

• Like 1

Just now, KoB2011 said:

Yes, my opinion of the hiring of Mike Woodson can change as more information becomes available. My opinion of any coach and their ability to perform their job is always going to change as new information comes in. Again, I'm proud that I am willing to change my opinions and beliefs as I get new information.

That's a very different conversation than saying someone is a hypocrite. You're already running away as fast as you can from that position because you realize it may mean you have to criticize an IU basketball coach and you're trying to say, "well I'd have to have a direct quote".... okay, man.

Mike Woodson and nearly every D1 coach pushes guys out of their programs for performance. 

You need to reread...I said if that's the way it went down, yes, I'd consider that hypocritical...As it stands, you're standing on what you "think" happened...You don't really know...

And I don't run from anything...Did I think CAM deserved another year? Yes...Amd I glad the way things panned out? Yes...As I said, I was on board with the hiring of Mike Woodson from the beginning...

Does that mean I would want Mike Woddson fired? Tarred and feathered? 

No...

And I'm glad you're "hypocrisy free." You're the only person I know that's truly like that...

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Two years ago he put his name into the portal so that is a good indication. So a coach can make every player better so if that is the case I should have been able to play at the D1 level.  In the end it is up to the player to get into the gym on his own during the off season to work on his game.  The coaches can do so much especially today since there is a limit if time that the coaching staff can spend with the players.

6 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Is entering the transfer portal now a statement of "I love to be here and can't imagine myself anywhere else" ?

Geronimo has made it an annual tradition of seeing what his options are, why should Mike Woodson not be able to do the same? 

Now who's being disingenuous?

"Indiana forward Jordan Geronimo has entered the transfer portal as of Thursday afternoon.

Geronimo joins a growing list of Hoosiers who are now in the portal after Archie Miller was fired 10 days ago. He joins Race Thompson, Armaan Franklin, Parker Stewart and Al Durham, who entered as a grad transfer."

Don't let the coaching change stand in the way of your BS...

Edited by IUFLA

8 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I don’t know you well but have you ever coached kids before? Not being a smart butt serious question…. As a coach I always say if I make an impact on just one kid then I’m doing my job right. I can teach a kid 50 things in three years but if HE chooses not to take those lessons and use them to his advantage then HE is depriving himself of years of NBA knowledge that Woodson can offer up. He has digressed this year and we can’t blame it on Race coming back. He was the very first off the bench for Race before he started having mental lapses over and over and over. College basketball is not a participation trophy sport. Listen to your coach, try hard, get better, and if you don’t work hard to do those things then I’ll put someone in who will and that’s exactly what has happened. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Now who's being disingenuous?

"Indiana forward Jordan Geronimo has entered the transfer portal as of Thursday afternoon.

Geronimo joins a growing list of Hoosiers who are now in the portal after Archie Miller was fired 10 days ago. He joins Race Thompson, Armaan Franklin, Parker Stewart and Al Durham, who entered as a grad transfer."

Don't let the coaching change stand in the way of your BS...

Did he not take a month after last season to say he was back, too? Happy to be wrong on that.

By the way, what would it take for you to say, "hmm, maybe I am wrong about this?" For me it would be as simple as a little evidence that Geronimo didn't consider the option of leaving last year. 

4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Did he not take a month after last season to say he was back, too? Happy to be wrong on that.

By the way, what would it take for you to say, "hmm, maybe I am wrong about this?" For me it would be as simple as a little evidence that Geronimo didn't consider the option of leaving last year. 

We'll never know that...

How much would it take for you and @IU Scottto admit "well, yeah, we used a kid making a decision based on a coaching change to portray him in a bad light"?

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

We'll never know that...

How much would it take for you and @IU Scottto admit "well, yeah, we used a kid making a decision based on a coaching change to portray him in a bad light"?

I would bet if we went back 1 year on this board there were talk of Geronimo looking to leave. There were tweets out how his family wanted him to be closer to home. I am not putting Geronimo in a bad lughtbst all. It is up to him if he wants to be here or not. If he wanted to leave for more playing time I wouldn't blame for that decision.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

We'll never know that...

Well I'm not going to admit I used anything to portray him in a bad light, because I didn't and that speaks to my intent.

I'm happy to admit I was wrong about him looking to leave each of the past two off-seasons, if you can show that I was wrong. As best as I can tell, we have one off-season he put his name in the portal and another where he took a month after the season to feel the need to announce he was back, which would indicate for a month he wasn't sure enough about what he wanted to do to announce anything....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I would bet if we went back 1 year on this board there were talk of Geronimo looking to leave. There were tweets out how his family wanted him to be closer to home. I am not putting Geronimo in a bad lughtbst all. It is up to him if he wants to be here or not. If he wanted to leave for more playing time I wouldn't blame for that decision.

Oh, yes...Everything on the internet, particularly on this board, is 100% irrefutable fact 

Just now, KoB2011 said:

Well I'm not going to admit I used anything to portray him in a bad light, because I didn't and that speaks to my intent.

I'm happy to admit I was wrong about him looking to leave each of the past two off-seasons, if you can show that I was wrong. As best as I can tell, we have one off-season he put his name in the portal and another where he took a month after the season to feel the need to announce he was back, which would indicate for a month he wasn't sure enough about what he wanted to do to announce anything....

Then why didn't he put his name in the portal last year? You'd be a fool to wait if you wanted the largest amount of options  available, wouldn't you? And if you can find me something that says he intentionally "waited" a month I'll listen...But I've never heard it...

The only 2 we were "iffy" on were TJD and Race...

And, yes, you did try to portray him in a negative light by saying he was in the portal the year CAM was axed...Any kid would have made that same choice...

But Woody talked him into staying...and last year, announcement or not, he came back...that to me demonstrates a committment to his coach, and his team...

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Then why didn't he put his name in the portal last year? You'd be a fool to wait if you wanted the largest amount of options  available, wouldn't you? And if you can find me something that says he intentionally "waited" a month I'll listen...But I've never heard it...

And, yes, you did try to portray him in a negative light by saying he was in the portal the year CAM was axed...Any kid would have made that same choice...

But Woody talked him into staying...and last year, announcement or not, he came back...that to me demonstrates a committment to his coach, and his team...

this was from this forum 1 year sgo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, IUFLA said:

He took a month to say he was back, I'm not really sure what to tell you. He felt the need to make an announcement.

No, I didn't try to portray him in any light. Whatever you took from the fact that I said he thought about leaving two years in a row is on you and what you think, not on me or any amount of me trying to put things in a good or bad light. I just stated facts as best we have evidence, you made your own conclusions.

• Like 1

@IUFLA I think at the beginning I didn't do a good enough job of explaining myself... 

I also thought our schollies were a little tighter than what they are... but.. 

1. 11 guys- XJ, GC, TB, TG, KB, CG, JG, MR, LD, Leal, JN.. 

In my eyes... add a Battle+ 6'10+ rim protector to that... 

I think thats a good roster. This is even, probably.. my preferred roster.. or close to it... 

2. But.. I do NOT think JG is a 28mpg on a good team next season.. more importantly, IF CMW views it that way... and doesn't believe either... 

3. JG can truly help us the way we want.. or

4. We want those mins to go to Kaleb Banks in the 2nd unit... 

5. I would have zero issue(for a # of reasons) if he told JG it would be better if he moved on... 

... that is my opinion and the best I can clearly say it. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 2

We have a first team All-American and a likely lottery pick, yet we have had our share of struggles because the rest of the team, despite the occasional bright moment, can't produce enough to make us great. Now, we stand to lose both of those stars. We think that somehow those same guys are going to be better when they aren't playing with stars? It could happen, there's potential on our roster, but we need to add serious talent if we want next year to be even as good as next year, never mind better. If that means current guys need to leave, then so be it. It looks like there are going to be some legit players in the portal. I hope we go out and get at least 2 and hopefully 3 rotation (top 7) players.

In the past it was tough to show a kid the door because he didn't have the same option to leave, and, probably even more importantly, a kid that got booted then couldn't even play somewhere else until he sat out a year. That's a shitty thing to do to a kid. Those things don't apply any longer, so I have no problem moving on from guys that aren't contributing.

When a coach says a team is a family, it means you hang out together, you watch out for each other, you can call your teammates or your coach in the middle of the night when things are bad. It doesn't mean that you're going to be playing forever. The team can still be a "family" even if some guys are pushed out.

• Like 2