Transfer Portal 2023

Danomatic

15 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I would be surprised if we don't make contact on this one.  Preseason player of teh year in the Mountain West before injury sidelined him.  Had 17 and 9 against us in last year's tournament.  

Right. I avoid sharing everyone that enters the portal, but this one seemed like a viable option for us. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Between2Halls said:

Right. I avoid sharing everyone that enters the portal, but this one seemed like a viable option for us. 

To me he is very similar to Reneau and he isn't very athletic do I don't see a need for him. I just like to see our Frontline to get more athletic and his with length.

13 minutes ago, Between2Halls said:

Fair. I just don’t like the idea of only having Malik inside. As it stands now, I like Ike. 🤓

Two Maliks is way better than one.  Just surround them with some shooters...slashers...creative dribbling/passing.  And did I mention shooters...yeah, plenty of them.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I thought we all wanted to stop having 2 post up players in the lineup. I agree we need more big guys but with a different skill set.

Absolutely, we just need a post player athletic enough to play the high post and carbon copy who can come in to mix it up on occasion. Not too much to ask, imo. 

Also needs to be able to shoot from 15+ ft and hit about a 37% clip from deep. There’s gotta be a dozen of those available!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

I would be surprised if we don't make contact on this one.  Preseason player of teh year in the Mountain West before injury sidelined him.  Had 17 and 9 against us in last year's tournament.  

Very good player 

Similar to MR. If MR can develop his 3pt shot it might work playing together. I too would like to see get a 6”10 athletic big guy to defend the rim and rebound. Big question is can MR handle guarding on the perimeter and guarding quicker players. If he does that and gets a 3pt shot he can play with another big guy or a smaller athletic stretch 4. That could give us some versatility. I also think Banks is a guy that could play some 4 if you need to match up and small. 

Just now, 94hoosier said:

Very good player 

Similar to MR. If MR can develop his 3pt shot it might work playing together. I too would like to see get a 6”10 athletic big guy to defend the rim and rebound. Big question is can MR handle guarding on the perimeter and guarding quicker players. If he does that and gets a 3pt shot he can play with another big guy or a smaller athletic stretch 4. That could give us some versatility. I also think Banks is a guy that could play some 4 if you need to match up and small. 

I like Banks versatility. He could be huge for us next season.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I thought we all wanted to stop having 2 post up players in the lineup. I agree we need more big guys but with a different skill set.

Not sure MR can’t play some out in the perimeter. Needs to work on getting a little quicker and his jump shot. But he is capable of playing both spots

54 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

“We all” is perhaps a stretch. I could not care less what positions are on the floor as long as it’s five guys that compete. 

Edited by Between2Halls

1 hour ago, 94hoosier said:

Not sure MR can’t play some out in the perimeter. Needs to work on getting a little quicker and his jump shot. But he is capable of playing both spots

Certainly worth noting TJD's improved ball-handling under this current staff. Not always fair to compare skillsets, but that is an aspect that MR could be tasked with improving. Should he do that, he'll expand his range and versatility. And to be fair to all the bigs on the roster, Banks, Duncomb and Geronimo should be challenged with improving their handles as well.

I don't think anyone is content with being one-dimensional.

• Like 1

Sorry if already posted elsewhere:

Rick Pitino is telling most St. Johns players to leave because he doesn't want them.  Maybe all but one to go.   He will recruit the transfer portal hard.

Woodson and staff have a 2 year head start on Pitino.  Both teams need up to 4 new starters, plus benches. 

Who will recruit better between now and next season?

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/rick-pitino-most-st-johns-players-wont-be-on-team-next-season

Edited by Madison22

7 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

Rick Pitino is telling most St. Johns players to leave because he doesn't want them.  Maybe all but one to go.   He will recruit the transfer portal hard.

This is a GREAT experiment.  Woodson and staff have a 2 year head start on Pitino.  Both teams need up to 4 new starters, plus benches. 

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/rick-pitino-most-st-johns-players-wont-be-on-team-next-season

He’s using the Deion Sanders approach. It will be interesting to watch. I’d like to think Woodson and company would be able to do better but I’m not going to bet against Pitino. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

This is a GREAT experiment.  Woodson and staff have a 2 year head start on Pitino.  Both teams need up to 4 new starters, plus benches. 

Pitino has a massive track record on being able to come in and rejuvenate a program. I’d be willing to bet that there’s a lot of shady things go down over the next 6 months for the Red Storm. 

9 hours ago, Danomatic said:

Pitino has a massive track record on being able to come in and rejuvenate a program. I’d be willing to bet that there’s a lot of shady things go down over the next 6 months for the Red Storm. 

Not going to happen.  They fired Mike Anderson over those things.  They hired Pitino to clean things up.  :coffee:

image.png.b8ecd67fd167a512b4b380570e692aef.png

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DC2345 said:

He’s using the Deion Sanders approach. It will be interesting to watch. I’d like to think Woodson and company would be able to do better but I’m not going to bet against Pitino. 

Well Pitino took the opposite path of Coach Woodson already by saying take a hike instead of sticking with the players he had!