Transfer Portal 2023

Danomatic

40 minutes ago, Cbp4IU said:

Not saying it’s a definite thing but when should we start hearing news of our guy hitting the portal.

Don’t you think players as good as TKR/Newman or Bates/JGwould have a place to land before they jump?

Or you put out the “vibe” through back channels to see who’s interested 

or jump and see who offers 💰💰

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

Henley is transferring from Minnesota? Did not know that at all

57 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I like Henley

Henley was tight with Dennis Evans, a 7’1” 4 star who was the centerpiece of the upcoming recruiting class. In February he asked out of his commitment to the Gophers and was granted a release. They were both from the same area in California and when Evans was released it was widely acknowledged that Henley would follow suit once the season was over 

12 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Henley was tight with Dennis Evans, a 7’1” 4 star who was the centerpiece of the upcoming recruiting class. In February he asked out of his commitment to the Gophers and was granted a release. They were both from the same area in California and when Evans was released it was widely acknowledged that Henley would follow suit once the season was over 

Potential Louisville transfer? Since Evans committed to Louisville already

26 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

Don’t you think players as good as TKR/Newman or Bates/JGwould have a place to land before they jump?

Or you put out the “vibe” through back channels to see who’s interested 

or jump and see who offers 💰💰

Guys at their level typically do not unless it’s just some weird connection to another school. I don’t view any of those guys as a guy being that good. 

Moving the discussion of which bigs we should target here, from the other thread, I agree that the Wyoming or Texas Tech kids are probably going to be looking to start, and thus aren't a great fit here. At the same time, however, if we only target a backup rim protector without much offensive ability, that risks putting us in a big hole should Reneau have any health issues next year. That's why I think keeping Duncomb is actually more important than most think, as he has offensive upside, but isn't necessarily the sort of talent that might prevent us from getting a big fish in the 2024 class.

Edited by IUProfessor
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, IUProfessor said:

Moving the discussion of which bigs we should target here, from the other thread, I agree that the Wyoming or Texas Tech kids are probably going to be looking to start, and thus aren't a great fit here. At the same time, however, if we only target a backup rim protector without much offensive ability, that risks putting us in a big hole should Reneau have any health issues next year. That's why I think keeping Duncomb is actually more important than most think, as he has offensive upside, but isn't necessarily the sort of talent that might prevent us from getting a big fish in the 2024 class.

Jalen Washington at 6’10 and who can really shoot would be a great complement to Reneau.  But alas there’s no suggestion he’s going into the portal as far as I know.  

23 minutes ago, IUProfessor said:

There's not a never-ending river of quality players in the portal - at some point we will have to take guys because we need kids who can play at this level, even if they aren't the ideal fit. If this were a video game and I could design kids with my ideal skill set, I wouldn't end up with the Texas Tech kid paired with Reneau, but they both look like guys who could be big time players. We need as many of those as we can get.

Just saw this stat on twitter. Since Nov 7th 792 players have entered transfer portal. Of those 374 are from what we would classify as Mid or Low Major who averaged 5 points or less per game.

Those numbers are just stupid. More than a 150+ Full teams have transferred. I'd rather they just go back to some sort of you get 1 free transfer and your eligibility expires after 5 seasons. Something where there are clear timelines and we don't have 25 year olds playing college hoops.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

There's not a never-ending river of quality players in the portal - at some point we will have to take guys because we need kids who can play at this level, even if they aren't the ideal fit. If this were a video game and I could design kids with my ideal skill set, I wouldn't end up with the Texas Tech kid paired with Reneau, but they both look like guys who could be big time players. We need as many of those as we can get.

Just to be clear, I would take either of them if they were willing to come. I just don't think they are likely to come here if they aren't going to be playing starter-type minutes. And I don't think the plan is to play two bigs at the same time regularly, so I don't see it as a fit from the players' perspective, not the program's.

1 hour ago, IUProfessor said:

That's why I think keeping Duncomb is actually more important than most think, as he has offensive upside, but isn't necessarily the sort of talent that might prevent us from getting a big fish in the 2024 class.

Not happening baring something insane happening

• Thanks 1