Transfer Portal 2023

Danomatic

1 hour ago, IUProfessor said:

Just to be clear, I would take either of them if they were willing to come. I just don't think they are likely to come here if they aren't going to be playing starter-type minutes. And I don't think the plan is to play two bigs at the same time regularly, so I don't see it as a fit from the players' perspective, not the program's.

25 minutes for Reneau.  25 minutes for another quality big, like those mentioned.  That's 50 minutes used out of 80 available for two spots. Only requires them to be on floor together for 10 minutes a game.  I would not define that as 'regular'.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IUProfessor said:

Just to be clear, I would take either of them if they were willing to come. I just don't think they are likely to come here if they aren't going to be playing starter-type minutes. And I don't think the plan is to play two bigs at the same time regularly, so I don't see it as a fit from the players' perspective, not the program's.

I also think Woodson would rather not play two non-shooting bigs at the same time (though it's pure speculation that I think that), but I also think he will adjust to what he has. If we can't find a stretch 4 who is good enough to play, we will play two bigs at the same time.

I'd rather have 2 quality bigs who play at a high level than replace one of them with a better fit that just isn't as good at basketball.

1 hour ago, DC2345 said:

That's why I left him off the projected roster. He's almost a certainty to be gone. 

Galloway, Leal, Gunn, and Banks are the 4 I would bet are coming back and feel comfortable.  Reneau worries me a little because I think JHS is likely to go pro and homesickness could come into play without his buddy here.  The rest I think greater than 50% chance they move on.

23 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Another big that IU will likely have more interest in than Ike will likely be hitting the portal here rather soon. 

Names are flying around every where, not sure why you won't. No ones going to hold you to your info. Not seeing the big deal.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Guessing there are a lot of delusional kids and/or ones that were forced into the portal.

Not necessarily.  A lot of bench players on a Mid-Major may actually be looking to downgrade to a Low Major just to get more playing time.  Or, if they are destined to sit the bench, they might be looking for an opportunity closer to home.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Not necessarily.  A lot of bench players on a Mid-Major may actually be looking to downgrade to a Low Major just to get more playing time.  Or, if they are destined to sit the bench, they might be looking for an opportunity closer to home.

They'll likely be disappointed. Somewhere I saw a stat that indicated less than half the players entering the portal end up finding a new home.  A significant number end up off scholarship.  

On 3/20/2023 at 8:54 PM, DC2345 said:

Purdue can keep TKR

I'm admittedly biased because my kids went to high school with TKR and I know his family.  But, I think part of the IU fan base's opinion of TKR as a player is based on the fact he spurned IU for Purdue (Archie hurt IU's chances badly).

Anyway, TKR versus Reneau.  Advantage TKR?

TKR

• PER - 17.0
  • W/S Per 40 - .151
  • Box +/- = 3.2
  • ORating - 111.2
  • DRating - 99.6

Malik

• PER - 16.7
  • W/S Per 40 - .122
  • Box +/- = 1.0
  • ORating - 103.7
  • DRating - 99.3

Just now, 5fouls said:

I'm admittedly biased because my kids went to high school with TKR and I know his family.  But, I think part of the IU fan base's opinion of TKR as a player is based on the fact he spurned IU for Purdue (Archie hurt IU's chances badly).

TKR

• PER - 17.0
  • W/S Per 40 - .151
  • Box +/- = 3.2
  • ORating - 111.2
  • DRating - 99.6

Malik

• PER - 16.7
  • W/S Per 40 - .122
  • Box +/- = 1.0
  • ORating - 103.7
  • DRating - 99.3

I just think they are both to similar and IU needs someone with more height and or athleticism to be their other big.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

TKR

• PER - 17.0
  • W/S Per 40 - .151
  • Box +/- = 3.2
  • ORating - 111.2
  • DRating - 99.6

Malik

• PER - 16.7
  • W/S Per 40 - .122
  • Box +/- = 1.0
  • ORating - 103.7
  • DRating - 99.3

In fairness, isn't TKR a year older?

29 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I just think they are both to similar and IU needs someone with more height and or athleticism to be their other big.

Oh.  I'm not disagreeing with that.  I just think IU fans look at the fact that TKR didnt play the minutes his ranking would normally warrant.  But, I think both he and Reneau are capable of a lot more one they are not stuck behind All-Americans.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Wasn't Reneau ranked higher?  Look, as I responded to @DC2345, both have more to offer than what the were able to do behind an All-American

No reason to get testy. I posted my question before you responded to DC2345. 

Yes, Malik was ranked higher. Doesn't change the fact that TKR has had an additional year of weight training, coaching and competing at a higher level. 

I really don't care one way or the other about him. I don't hold a bias against him for his decision to go to Purdue. He can have a great career against everyone he plays against, save one school. 

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Wasn't Reneau ranked higher?  Look, as I responded to @DC2345, both have more to offer than what the were able to do behind an All-American

I think the point is that TKR had a full redshirt year in a college program while Reneau was a true freshman. All else being equal, he should’ve been more advanced than Reneau. Outside of fewer turnovers, TKR really wasn’t more advanced in any other area.

I think he could still be a fine player, just don’t think he’d fit at IU with Malik being a similar player with more potential.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Oh.  I'm not disagreeing with that.  I just think IU fans look at the fact that TKR didnt play the minutes his ranking would normally warrant.  But, I think both he and Reneau are capable of a lot more one they are not stuck behind All-Americans.

Not sure either one can guard a chair 

Both can score in post 

MR looks to be a little longer plus lefty always helps 

TKR has made a couple 3’s 😳

6 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

Not sure either one can guard a chair 

Actually, a defensive rating of 100.00 is considered 'average' (the lower number the better).  They both were ever so slightly better than that based on their rating.  

Were they TJD level?  Absolutely not.  But, they aren't necessarily hurting their team on that end of the floor either.