IU vs Maryland Pre-Game B10 Tournament

ButlerHoosier

Figured I will start this. Game time starts at 9 pm. So I was really hoping Minnesota could pull off an upset but alas they came up short. I don't know why but I think we match up poorly against Maryland. Hopefully we rested enough and healed up some to make a major push to win the B10 tournament for the first time. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

Revenge game. Play hard, smart and focused. Maryland isn’t playing in College Park either. I think we should have a definitive fan advantage too. 

Maryland looked a little shaky for the most part yesterday until they pulled out late in the game. Minnesota kept threatening their lead, and brought within single digits multiple times, but it’s also Minnesota 

Last game @ Maryland, Trayce had 18, Race - 11, Kopp - 7, Galloway - 6 and JHS finished with 3 pts. We are definitely going to need more out of him than 3 pts.

Maryland had Young - 20, Scott - 19, Reese - 10 and Martinez with 7 pts. We really need to play great defense against this team and we can't let Young have a night.

• Like 1

When: Friday, March 10th 9:00 pm EST or 25 minutes after game 9 ends

Where: United Center, Chicago, Illinois

TV: BTN

Maryland is coming off a BTT game 6 win over Minnesota. Before that, they had lost on the road to Ohio State and Penn State. They are now 3-1 in Neutral Site games (IU is 1-1)

The Terps beat IU on 1/31in College Park 66-55, one of our worst offensive showings of the year.

image.png.851141b5627aa3cc23925081beaf735f.png

image.png.30351c8ff7cafb8c355cc04d9967c2e0.png

We outshot Maryland, but note the FT disparity. 

image.thumb.png.88662cd26ed4a3367b82e88d45988c2b.png

The Terps have gone with the same starting 5 for the last 15 games...Reese, Scott, Young, Hart, and Carey, Emilien, Martinez, and Long all see double digit minutes off the bench.

This is a long, athletic team. The kind we have problems with at times. The pressed us last game and IU committed 11 turnovers. 

Maryland is 6th in ORtg and 10th in DRtg in the Big 10.

We can win this game, but we have to control Donta Scott and Jamir Young better than we did last game, and we have to handle the press better. 

Go Hoosiers!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

Another game where TG limited himself with stupid fouls. Hope to avoid that this evening. 

Maryland is 10th in Drtg? They had their best defensive effort against us that night, then. They have to zone, double TJD. TJD will have their entire team in foul trouble if they don't. 

52 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

When: Friday, March 10th 9:00 pm EST or 25 minutes after game 9 ends

Where: United Center, Chicago, Illinois

TV: BTN

Maryland is coming off a BTT game 6 win over Minnesota. Before that, they had lost on the road to Ohio State and Penn State. They are now 3-1 in Neutral Site games (IU is 1-1)

The Terps beat IU on 1/31in College Park 66-55, one of our worst offensive showings of the year.

image.png.851141b5627aa3cc23925081beaf735f.png

image.png.30351c8ff7cafb8c355cc04d9967c2e0.png

We outshot Maryland, but note the FT disparity. 

image.thumb.png.88662cd26ed4a3367b82e88d45988c2b.png

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fgifdb.com%2Fgif%2Fstill-waiting-little-rascals-zedphzadck29jgl6.html&psig=AOvVaw0Xfxk6i1bMkE-GOkbvT69e&ust=1678543223019000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CA0QjhxqFwoTCJjzyfvC0f0CFQAAAAAdAAAAABAD

The Terps have gone with the same starting 5 for the last 15 games...Reese, Scott, Young, Hart, and Carey, Emilien, Martinez, and Long all see double digit minutes off the bench.

This is a long, athletic team. The kind we have problems with at times. The pressed us last game and IU committed 11 turnovers. 

Maryland is 6th in ORtg and 10th in DRtg in the Big 10.

We can win this game, but we have to control Donta Scott and Jamir Young better than we did last game, and we have to handle the press better. 

Go Hoosiers!

I thought I was going to have to post this when I woke up and checked the board. Good work!

67059154-930E-4611-99A2-0F18B7233FEF.jpeg

• Haha 3

Just rewatched the 1st half of our last game with them. We lost that game in the last 5 minutes of the 1st half. Poor play on our part, but some really piss poor officiating too, including a couple of ghost fouls on Trey that gave him 3 before halftime, and the infamous "double dribble" on JHS that Hummell even said was bogus. At the half, they were in the Bonus +, and they'd only committed 5 fouls...or so they said...

JHS was 1-14 from the field and it was only Race's 4th game back...I expect a better outcome this time...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Just rewatched the 1st half of our last game with them. We lost that game in the last 5 minutes of the 1st half. Poor play on our part, but some really piss poor officiating too, including a couple of ghost fouls on Trey that gave him 3 before halftime, and the infamous "double dribble" on JHS that Hummell even said was bogus. At the half, they were in the Bonus +, and they'd only committed 5 fouls...or so they dsaid...

JHS was 1-14 from the field and it was only Race's 4th game back...I expect a better outcome this time...

Yes!!!!!! We were really good for the first 14-15 mins. 

• Like 1

Have to contained Young's penetration better. He killed us in the second half, which lead to him scoring or dishing for open 3's. This is a team that Xavier would've really helped with his defense and ball handling. 

Hopefully a neutral whistle allows us to take advantage of what TJD and JHS do well. Maryland is actually a great team to prepare us for what we have struggled with; teams with length and penetrating point guards.

• Like 3

Absolute must win game if we want to win the BTT.

I don't want to take anything away from Maryland in the first game, but the two biggest factors IMO were missed shots (by us) and the officiating. Maryland obviously plays pressure defense and gets some credit, but I didn't feel like we were unable to get good looks so much as we just missed them. I like our odds tonight, but we shall see! 

• Confused 1

I do hope that we've worked on our press-break. That has been one of our weaknesses this season, and while it's easier said than done, being decisive and on the attack in these situations is imperative. There have been too many instances where we've tripped ourselves up with careless turnovers and that snowballs into self-destruction. If we can just calm down and set the pace, rather than react to it, I think we'll be ok.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Terps can be a matchup problem for IU. It comes down to IU guards keeping the ball in front of them and team rebounding.

If IU guards are consistently forced to chase and everyone else is scrambling to support, it's going to be difficult to rebound and a lot of threes will be taken. 

Go IU!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rico said:

Were they bad last night away from home?

They were decent last night (shot 38.1% from the 3, 43% overall) had some foul trouble, but still pulled out a 16 point win. Concerned about their guard play since Young killed us in the first matchup 

Edited by Hoosierfan1901