NCAA Tournament 1st Round-Kent State Pre-Game

IUFLA

38 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Just saw the first segment in between the two Dayton games tonight.  Hadn't even seen your post yet and was coming here to mention it.  

Wow, that was fast. I missed it. Will watch the second game now to see if I can catch it. They’re smart to include IU-our basketball history and its importance in Hoosier culture are legendary. 

Tempted to watch the movie Hoosiers now. ⛹🏽‍♂️⛹️⛹🏿‍♂️⛹🏿‍♂️⛹️

Edited by HoosierGirlinTucson
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, HoosierGirlinTucson said:

Wow, that was fast. I missed it. Will watch the second game now to see if I can catch it. They’re smart to include IU-our basketball history and its importance in Hoosier culture are legendary. 

Tempted to watch the movie Hoosiers now. ⛹🏽‍♂️⛹️⛹🏿‍♂️⛹🏿‍♂️⛹️

For many years I would watch Hoosiers leading up to the tournament. As we found ourselves on the outside of the dance for several years I have lost track of the tradition. May have to stream it tomorrow 

• Like 2

Also, we have played 10 teams (16 games) that are higher rated defensively than Kent State. Here is that list and their rank.

Rutgers (7) IU went 1-1

Kansas (11) 0-1

NW (14) 0-2

Purdue (21) 2-0

Wisconsin (30) 1-0

Illinois (36) 2-0

MSU (38) 1-1

Maryland (39) 1-1

Arizona (40) 0-1

UNC (41) 1-0

IU went a combined 9-7 against teams with a higher rated defense (according to BT) and scored on average 70 ppg. If IU scores 70 Friday night, they will win no question.

To add, Kent State has played only 1 team with a higher rated defense than ours all season (Houston). They scored 44 points.

• Like 4

A little history - we last played Kent St. in the the Elite 8 in 2002 and won 81-69. They were led by an all-conference power forward named Antonio Gates, who went on to be an all-pro tight end in the NFL for the Chargers. We hit 15 3s in that game with Coverdale, Hornsby and company leading the way that propelled us into the Final Four, and eventual National Title game against Maryland. 

Not suggesting we hit 15 3s, but perhaps that’s where we’re headed again this year, and it starts with the Golden Flashes on Friday night.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

For many years I would watch Hoosiers leading up to the tournament. As we found ourselves on the outside of the dance for several years I have lost track of the tradition. May have to stream it tomorrow 

My house was built by Coach Wood's brother John in Corydon. He was the coach there at one time. Played at IU. Great article for you Hx lovers.

https://www.newsandtribune.com/sports/clark_county/high-school-boys-basketball-fifty-five-years-after-helping-open-dunn-arena-former-c-town/article_66ecb046-0d6e-5c0e-ae89-3975bf3d6f4f.html

Edited by Dawg Bawls
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

A little history - we last played Kent St. in the the Elite 8 in 2002 and won 81-69. They were led by an all-conference power forward named Antonio Gates, who went on to be an all-pro tight end in the NFL for the Chargers. We hit 15 3s in that game with Coverdale, Hornsby and company leading the way that propelled us into the Final Four, and eventual National Title game against Maryland. 

Not suggesting we hit 15 3s, but perhaps that’s where we’re headed again this year, and it starts with the Golden Flashes on Friday night.

Need to shoot atleast 15 not 3

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, BGleas said:

Good point, sounds like he doesn't even have him on that. Thanks for sharing the stats. 

interesting comparison.  some more stats: They are very similar in height and weight. Both averaged 21 pts this season. Trayce has a clear advantage on RBs with 11 vs 7.  Timmons overall shooting % is better at 62% vs 58%.  Assists Trayce advantage by 1 per game.    

21 minutes ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

On ESPN’s First Take both Stephen A. and Mad Dog are picking the Hoosiers to win the Midwest and advance to the Final Four. 😀

Potential. Can we find some consistency? Play four good games in a row? I don’t know that we did that all year. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Potential. Can we find some consistency? Play four good games in a row? I don’t know that we did that all year. 

To be fair, we don't necessarily have to play four "good games", we just have to win four games. We did show we can win some ugly games this year.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

To be fair, we don't necessarily have to play four "good games", we just have to win four games. We did show we can win some ugly games this year.

That’s true…. but that will be tougher given the competition. Guess we could play mediocre and win tomorrow. But that will be tougher to do moving forward.