The non-IU National Tournament thread…

If MSU loses to Marquette, that leaves IU as the Big Ten's only chance at the Sweet 16.  Truthfully, if only one of MSU or IU advances, it will still be an embarrassing performance for the conference.  If neither make it, the word 'failure' is not even strong enough.  

Edited by 5fouls
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

If MSU loses to Marquette, that leaves IU as the Big Ten's only chance at the Sweet 16.  Truthfully, if only one of MSU or IU advances, it will still be an embarrassing performance for the conference.  If neither make it, the word 'failure' is not even strong enough.  

Who cares…. so tired of the conference arguments. That’s usually saved for UK football fans that typically don’t have a decent UK team to root for so they root for the SEC. If Baylor and TCU lose does the BIG12 suck bc they only have Texas in the Sweet 16? 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

@Proud2BAHoosier

Why is this confusing?  Is 0-8 acceptable when the SEC sends 3 or 4 of their 8, the Ivy sends their only rep, and either Conference USA or the Northeast Conference sends a rep from the pod where the Big Ten champ was seeded #1?

1 minute ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Who cares…. so tired of the conference arguments. That’s usually saved for UK football fans that typically don’t have a decent UK team to root for so they root for the SEC. If Baylor and TCU lose does the BIG12 suck bc they only have Texas in the Sweet 16? 

Same! I hope IU advances and is the only Big Ten team in the Sweet Sixteen. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Can we count UCLA

• Haha 5

Nobody wants to see Michigan St win…I don’t care if they were the only B1G representatives I wouldn’t want to see them win. Second close one is UK. 

I don’t think it will hurt B1G with number of teams in the future…maybe seeding. Most of our teams have been lower seeds…Purdue is the only embarrassment. IU can’t help that Purdue sucks in the tourney.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Personally, I don’t care about March Madness records. Too many factors in play that determine who wins or loses. Matchups, refs, where you’re sent.somebody going unconscious on you, you shooting abnormally cold, injuries, underdog  mentality, and others I’m forgetting. This year even more as everybody sayid before it stared just how wild and wide open it was going to be. Not to say the team’s performance is not a factor and not to say teams losing when they shouldn’t doesn’t count, talking to you Purdue. Just saying tourney performance as a league doesn’t carry much weight to me.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I would expect there are 14 basketball head coaches in the Big Ten that care.  A good performance in the tournament helps promote not only the conference itself, but the individual programs in the conference.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Same! I hope IU advances and is the only Big Ten team in the Sweet Sixteen. 

Yeah, I just don’t care. I want my Hoosiers to win and upsets everywhere else. Tex AM was supposedly the third best SEC team and PSU drilled them. Good for UK for having a favorable draw (K St is overrated big time). A lot of it is luck and matchups. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Yeah, I just don’t care. I want my Hoosiers to win and upsets everywhere else. Tex AM was supposedly the third best SEC team and PSU drilled them. Good for UK for having a favorable draw (K St is overrated big time). A lot of it is luck and matchups. 

And getting to play in Greensboro….geez what a gift. When you are the higher seed and you have to travel across country to play basically a home game. 

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I would expect there are 14 basketball head coaches in the Big Ten that care.  A good performance in the tournament helps promote not only the conference itself, but the individual programs in the conference.  

The big 10 has been a very competitive conference too to bottom the last few years. Just doesn’t have the top few teams capable of making deep runs. I like to see the conference so good especially when IU is a part of it. NW and PSU performance last night were a plus for the conference. They have to 10 teams all they wanted. If PSU shoot normal 3pt percentage they win

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I don’t think it will hurt B1G with number of teams in the future…maybe seeding. Most of our teams have been lower seeds…Purdue is the only embarrassment. IU can’t help that Purdue sucks in the tourney.

It's already hurting seeding, which, in turn, is hurting the performance.  Otherwise, why were 12 loss TCU and Iowa State teams given 6 seeds while 11 loss Maryland and Illinois put on the 8/9 line. 

It was not the case this year, but in future years, that could be IU on that 8/9 line while a middling Big 12 team gets a 6.  And, when that happens, IU fans will care.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I doubt it. I mean how have Alabama or Houston built the teams they have with their history? Only teams to ever win a title in the SEC are Florida and UK. Why go anywhere else? Or why would anybody go to Houston? So much more that goes into it than how they do in the NCAA Tournament.