The non-IU National Tournament thread…

2 minutes ago, 94hoosier said:

The big 10 has been a very competitive conference too to bottom the last few years. Just doesn’t have the top few teams capable of making deep runs. I like to see the conference so good especially when IU is a part of it. NW and PSU performance last night were a plus for the conference. They have to 10 teams all they wanted. If PSU shoot normal 3pt percentage they win

Northwestern clearly deserved a better seed than say, Iowa State.  They didn't because of the Big Ten's reputation.  If NW gets the 6 that Iowa State got, they might still be playing.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

It's already hurting seeding, which, in turn, is hurting the performance.  Otherwise, why were 12 loss TCU and Iowa State teams given 6 seeds while 11 loss Maryland and Illinois put on the 8/9 line. 

It was not the case this year, but in future years, that could be IU on that 8/9 line while a middling Big 12 team gets a 6.  And, when that happens, IU fans will care.  

The B1G just didn’t have any teams bedsides Purdue have signature out of conference wins honestly. Also the packs was so close and muddled that it was impossible for the committee to put anyone higher than the 7 because there was no separation from 4-10 to justify a higher seed. I thought the seeding was more than fair. If we have some teams play better we will get better seeds…in the end only one seed matters to me..IU…and we control our own destiny if we want a top seed. Go out an win games. Gonzaga has a terrible conference and it doesn’t stop them from getting high seeds. Same for UCLA and Arizona.

Edited by dgambill

3 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Their non-conference schedule was weak, nothing to do with the Big10. 

According to KenPom, Northwestern's Non-Conference SOS was 291.  TCU's was 338.  So, while it may have hurt Northwestern, it didn't a run of the mill Big 12 team.  

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Northwestern clearly deserved a better seed than say, Iowa State.  They didn't because of the Big Ten's reputation.  If NW gets the 6 that Iowa State got, they might still be playing.  

I’m not sure I follow your argument. The B1G was the second rated conference this year, only behind the Big 12. That conference had 3 teams in Texas Kansas and Baylor that were legitimate top 5-10 this year. No other conference had that. The B1G’s reputation was just fine, the Big 12’s was just better. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

The B1G just didn’t have any teams bedsides Purdue have signature out of conference wins honestly. Also the packs was so close and muddled that it was impossible for the committee to put anyone higher than the 7 because there was no separation from 4-10 to justify a higher seed. I thought the seeding was more than fair. If we have some teams play better we will get better seeds…in the end only one seed matters to me..IU…and we control our own destiny if we want a top seed. Go out an win games. Gonzaga has a terrible conference and it doesn’t stop them from getting high seeds. Same for UCLA and Arizona.

Yeah, IU's win over Xavier at Xavier was worthless.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

According to KenPom, Northwestern's Non-Conference SOS was 291.  TCU's was 338.  So, while it may have hurt Northwestern, it didn't a run of the mill Big 12 team.  

So what are we arguing…the difference between a 6&7?? If that is the case I’m just not interested enough to argue the difference. You win.

Just now, IUFLA said:

Illinois (and I'm holding my nose) beat UCLA and Texas... 

if Illinois would have not ruined that with poor B1G performance they would have got seeded higher. They were mediocre the rest of the year. Had they finished 2nd or 3rd in B1G they likely would have been on the 4 line like IU.