The non-IU National Tournament thread…

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I was simply using Creighton and Northwestern to counter the posts that indicated the number of Quad 1 wins played a 'huge' part in Xavier being seeded a 3 versus Memphis a 9.  My point is that, if that 'huge' difference played a part in seeding in the Xavier example, why did the same 'huge' difference have no bearing in the NW seeding.

The committee is on the record as stating that they RANK the teams first and then use the metrics to sort out from there.  So, if the metrics played no part ranking the teams, what did?

Hmmm, maybe just maybe, WHILE DOING THEIR RANKINGS, the committee had the perception that the Big 12 was really, really good, the Big 10 was pretty good, but not at the Big 12 level, the Big East was good, and the American basically sucked. And maybe, just maybe, those perceptions played a part in the seed certain teams received.  

Because if it isn't perceptions, and it sure as heck isn't the metrics, then what the hell did they use to do their initial rankings?  Mascot popularity? 

Oh, hell yes perceptions play a role. And right from the get go of the basketball season. “ Kansas is awesome. So if you can beat them you must be god too” The ACC is a premier league and Dke isr great, so wins there count more. ETC.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

My point really isn't about who got screwed.  It's about the importance of the perception the conference has.  And, if the Big 10 flames out yet again, then it could impact conference teams, including IU, in the future.  It would be a very good thing for both MSU and IU to win today.  

That is where people disagree because what happens this year has no effect on what a team is seeded the next year

Edited by IU Scott

Just now, Steubenhoosier said:

Shaka had one run at VCU early in his career but he has been overrated since then 

When I saw the bracket I thought Purdue had the easiest 2 and 3 seeds possible. I never thought Marquette and KSU was that great of a team. Maybe that is a problem when teams like this is what the top teams are in today's basketball.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

When I saw the bracket I thought Purdue had the easiest 2 and 3 seeds possible. I never thought Marquette and KSU was that great of a team. Maybe that is a problem when teams like this is what the top teams are in today's basketball.

Kansas State would have beaten Purdue. No way Purdue’s guards could have handled that point guard 

• Like 3