2024 Class Rankings and Discussion

KDB

9 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

Ask and you shall receive haha. 

P.S. for whoever needs to hear this.

Can we leave the Woody hot seat talk to our IU message boards instead of public forums like Twitter and Facebook?! I know for a fact guys like Liam and Queen follow Trilly and see stuff like this. You’re only making matters worse by planting seeds of doubt about the coaching situation. Also, if you don’t think opposing coaches see this and will use it as negative recruiting then you’re ignorant. 

EEF99DEF-3E77-48BB-856B-4184BB87545D.png

it kind of makes me feel better that the idiot who asked the question has a few posts about wanting Tom Crean back.

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

I know this isn't transfer portal but how much of a hinderance was X and Trey coming back to landing some guard talent last season?  Had to have been.  Looking at point.  Healthy X plays 30.  Galloway played point half the season last year.  Grabbed Mbako, had Gunn and Banks back and theoretically competing for some wing minutes.   Trey was likely going to get 25+.  Mbako 25+

So we were asking Dalton Knetch to come and grab the available 15-25 minutes?  What are we going to do next year?  Love Trey but if he loves the university and loves winning more, his minutes will have to take a hit.  Maybe this year is a blessing in disguise for guard recruiting.  Staff can say look, lots of minutes available if you are able to come in here and produce.   

Not to mention.  Maybe players have seen the way X plays, the talking, the baiting, and says, na.  Given 362 options, I'll go elsewhere.   

We gotta land some fish this offseason.   Staff has said publicly they learned a lot and are better prepared for the portal.  Whatever that means.  

💯 In the portal era there is no excuse for CMW to have limited backcourt options.

I don’t think any decent portal guard is scared off by any IU player 

Why not start Gunn and tell X to grab some bench or hit the bricks….see what you have.  Give him 25-30 minutes to sink or swim 

If IU coaches aren’t watching tons of film on potential transfers and getting the word out that half the roster is going….

10 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

💯 In the portal era there is no excuse for CMW to have limited backcourt options.

I don’t think any decent portal guard is scared off by any IU player 

Why not start Gunn and tell X to grab some bench or hit the bricks….see what you have.  Give him 25-30 minutes to sink or swim 

If IU coaches aren’t watching tons of film on potential transfers and getting the word out that half the roster is going….

Play Gunn AND Mgbako for extended mins!!!??? Together!?! 

Lordy 

45 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

its remarkable how those words are even being uttered. 

I’ve been on record saying I think we are in “purgatory” with Woody but I don’t go out of my way to post on popular platforms like Twitter and tag one of the most popular CBB personalities for all to see. I completely understand the anger and frustration but let’s keep that in-house instead of looking like erratic children.   

This is also now the 3rd tweet Trillys sent out about Woody and his coaching since the Nebraska game. It’s embarrassing since he’s clearly just using us to push traffic on his platform. 

4CF3CDD8-EF87-4AB2-A58F-0177DF93E50D.png

CC95DF69-18DD-4624-9166-45C26BFCB1B0.png

2 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

I’ve been on record saying I think we are in “purgatory” with Woody but I don’t go out of my way to post on popular platforms like Twitter and tag one of the most popular CBB personalities for all to see. I completely understand the anger and frustration but let’s keep that in-house instead of looking like erratic children.   

This is also now the 3rd tweet Trillys sent out about Woody and his coaching since the Nebraska game. It’s embarrassing since he’s clearly just using us to push traffic on his platform. 

4CF3CDD8-EF87-4AB2-A58F-0177DF93E50D.png

CC95DF69-18DD-4624-9166-45C26BFCB1B0.png

it's a wonder why IU basketball can't get back to the top. The first sign of trouble, we talk about cutting bait and starting from scratch. I will promise you IU basketball will never be anything, if we continue to cycle through coaches every 3-4 years. EVERY coach has hit down years. Some schools/fans choose to ride it out. Some decide to lop off the foot for an ingrown toe nail. We are the latter. Is Woodson the answer? IDK I think we are a year away from trying to answer that question. 

For the people that are bringing back up that they didn't want Woodson in the first place.... i dont think he was top 5 choices for many people. But good I am glad you are right...?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hoosierdave said:

Ask and you shall receive haha. 

P.S. for whoever needs to hear this.

Can we leave the Woody hot seat talk to our IU message boards instead of public forums like Twitter and Facebook?! I know for a fact guys like Liam and Queen follow Trilly and see stuff like this. You’re only making matters worse by planting seeds of doubt about the coaching situation. Also, if you don’t think opposing coaches see this and will use it as negative recruiting then you’re ignorant. 

EEF99DEF-3E77-48BB-856B-4184BB87545D.png

Lol.  I promise my name is not Mason Coverstone.  Thank God.  

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

I have brought those points up quite a bit. You also didn't mention Cupps. 

And we did land 2 pretty big fish "in the portal/late HS recruiting season" in Ware, MM. I do think we were already out on Knecht by the time MM was heating up. 

So to answer your question, I think those two coming back was a pretty big hindrance. There are still 22-28mpg for TG on a good team, and if he goes to the bench, that's fine, but to broad stroke and say "only way we are successful is if TG is our 6th/7th man", no I am not buying that. You just need other people that can score the basketball and stretch the defense...Insert McNeeley/1 or 2 transfer guards/MM grows from FR to SO like Malik and Ware. 

Should have clarified wings but didn't think I needed to.  Any major portal recruit would know he would beat Cupps out for time,  no offense.  He'll be a nice upper classmen, maybe good for 10-15 quality minutes as soon as next year with all the experience forced on him this year.  

I think Mbako was a fairly late add, not sure how that time line spanned.  I guess in true hindsight, thinking Cupps would be enough was a big mistake.  My whole point of emphasis is if your starting 1 and 2 spots are spoken for by 4th and 6th year seniors, one of which may be everyone's pain in the booty, it may be hard to lure guys in light of 362 other options.  

Trey is good.  Now we know he's similar to Sheehey.  Good but not great.  He would likely play 20 mins on every top 10 team in the country.  I don't care if he starts or not either.  

22 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Should have clarified wings but didn't think I needed to.  Any major portal recruit would know he would beat Cupps out for time,  no offense.  He'll be a nice upper classmen, maybe good for 10-15 quality minutes as soon as next year with all the experience forced on him this year.  

I think Mbako was a fairly late add, not sure how that time line spanned.  I guess in true hindsight, thinking Cupps would be enough was a big mistake.  My whole point of emphasis is if your starting 1 and 2 spots are spoken for by 4th and 6th year seniors, one of which may be everyone's pain in the booty, it may be hard to lure guys in light of 362 other options.  

Trey is good.  Now we know he's similar to Sheehey.  Good but not great.  He would likely play 20 mins on every top 10 team in the country.  I don't care if he starts or not either.  

What I don’t understand is why the coaches aren’t getting Cupps to be more aggressive. When he’s been aggressive his shot has been good and he’s scored on a lot of his drives. I know he’s a freshman and it takes time but not being aggressive hurts his confidence IMO

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think the word recruit needs to be changed to interview. And that would consist of show me your skills against my players. These guys are getting payed now. They should be able to show if they are worthy. Get rid of the hype. Show me the skills. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jojo123 said:

I think the word recruit needs to be changed to interview. And that would consist of show me your skills against my players. These guys are getting payed now. They should be able to show if they are worthy. Get rid of the hype. Show me the skills. 

Love it! If kids and they're handlers want big money and guarantees, prove your current market value. They have to be better than current team members, or the best available in the transfer portal. This cuts both ways. Role players, or those willing to take a traditional approach to development and playing time, will receive the value consistent with that market value.

8 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Love it! If kids and they're handlers want big money and guarantees, prove your current market value. They have to be better than current team members, or the best available in the transfer portal. This cuts both ways. Role players, or those willing to take a traditional approach to development and playing time, will receive the value consistent with that market value.

Performance based NIL: you get $400k flat. win B1G get another $100k, sweet 16 $50k, so on, so on

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ledies22 said:

Performance based NIL: you get $400k flat. win B1G get another $100k, sweet 16 $50k, so on, so on

Not that I disagree, but NIL has nothing to do with performance and everything to do with marketability! A pretty face or willingly more is far more marketable than a made three unless it happens to be a Wat Shot!

19 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Not that I disagree, but NIL has nothing to do with performance and everything to do with marketability! A pretty face or willingly more is far more marketable than a made three unless it happens to be a Wat Shot!

yes and no. I would say for men, marketability correlates with performance. The best players get the biggest deals.

NIL maybe was the wrong avenue, maybe that comes from the collective.

• 2 weeks later...

Would be nice if there was a hint someone was ready to commit. As it is, not hearing anything for any class. 

Recruiting used to be fun to watch. Now the portal is the focus. The alleged recruiting gurus are a joke. Too many kids are no longer truly committed to the team. It's all about who will pay the most. Games on crappy streaming services. Teams jumping from one conference to another. Add it all up and college basketball is dying. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

Would be nice if there was a hint someone was ready to commit. As it is, not hearing anything for any class. 

Recruiting used to be fun to watch. Now the portal is the focus. The alleged recruiting gurus are a joke. Too many kids are no longer truly committed to the team. It's all about who will pay the most. Games on crappy streaming services. Teams jumping from one conference to another. Add it all up and college basketball is dying. 

It is not as entertaining as it use to be 

18 hours ago, Euroclydon said:

IWho are the overseas grown men recruit options IU is looking to add? Similar to the ones others seem to find every year.

We should but I don’t remember us ever having a pipeline to these type of players. Not Europe, Australia, or Africa. Heck we don’t even get them from Canada. 

4 hours ago, dgambill said:

We should but I don’t remember us ever having a pipeline to these type of players. Not Europe, Australia, or Africa. Heck we don’t even get them from Canada. 

We need a player personnel department with energy.  Woody can’t be expected to know who some player is in Finland.  But the importation of foreign players is not going away and is in the first inning of the trend.   We can’t continue to ignore this.   

I am betting we get an announcement on a redo of our player personnel department with substantial investment and maybe more analytics too.  We can’t continue to pretend that the NET isn’t a thing.  This isn’t the NBA where your seeding is based on record.  I’m tying the two because you may keep the coach and turn around the infrastructure around him.  Reorg.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, ButlerHoosier said:

I was about to say what rankings? We don't qualify for it. We have zero recruits coming in. I mean is there any other program that can say that? Generally curious. 

I don’t know about zero commitments but I think non rated kids don’t count to the rankings so technically we are all tied for last lol.