2024 Class Rankings and Discussion

KDB

9 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

most, yes... for Harris and Kanon alone, but not necessarily for the 4 others. I means it's 6 deep with four 3stars. Only Purdue people get aroused in their pants for 7'ers 

I mean look at how many players that were 3 stars turned out well for Purdue. And depending on service, some of those three stars are actually four stars on certain sites. Why wouldn’t we be excited for 7 footers when most of them have turned out to be really good for us?

10 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I mean look at how many players that were 3 stars turned out well for Purdue. And depending on service, some of those three stars are actually four stars on certain sites. Why wouldn’t we be excited for 7 footers when most of them have turned out to be really good for us?

This is the last bit i am going to waste on the subject. Dont @ me. 

I said Purdue people get aroused by seeing and only seeing 7' next to the recruit's name. That's what I said, and that is what you're saying. It fits you. But back to the point... most other programs wouldn't be excited purely just based on 7' and above.. Dont understand the argument. But also, this was my point a few days ago about how Wisconsin and Purdue are keeping the BIG in the stone age by their styles of play with bruiser ball to which you disagreed with, but now agree with i guess. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

Promising that Trilly is suggesting a good 50+ players are already interested in transferring out less than 2 months into the season.

We only have one commit for 2024 and will probably need to fill another 3-4.

I would call it tragic over promising that some secret college basketball twitter handle guy knows of 50+ guys ready to hit the portal 2 months into the season.  

Loose lips sink ships.  What teams are falling apart or look a lot worse than expected?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I know this isn't transfer portal but how much of a hinderance was X and Trey coming back to landing some guard talent last season?  Had to have been.  Looking at point.  Healthy X plays 30.  Galloway played point half the season last year.  Grabbed Mbako, had Gunn and Banks back and theoretically competing for some wing minutes.   Trey was likely going to get 25+.  Mbako 25+

So we were asking Dalton Knetch to come and grab the available 15-25 minutes?  What are we going to do next year?  Love Trey but if he loves the university and loves winning more, his minutes will have to take a hit.  Maybe this year is a blessing in disguise for guard recruiting.  Staff can say look, lots of minutes available if you are able to come in here and produce.   

Not to mention.  Maybe players have seen the way X plays, the talking, the baiting, and says, na.  Given 362 options, I'll go elsewhere.   

We gotta land some fish this offseason.   Staff has said publicly they learned a lot and are better prepared for the portal.  Whatever that means.  

4 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I know this isn't transfer portal but how much of a hinderance was X and Trey coming back to landing some guard talent last season?  Had to have been.  Looking at point.  Healthy X plays 30.  Galloway played point half the season last year.  Grabbed Mbako, had Gunn and Banks back and theoretically competing for some wing minutes.   Trey was likely going to get 25+.  Mbako 25+

So we were asking Dalton Knetch to come and grab the available 15-25 minutes?  What are we going to do next year?  Love Trey but if he loves the university and loves winning more, his minutes will have to take a hit.  Maybe this year is a blessing in disguise for guard recruiting.  Staff can say look, lots of minutes available if you are able to come in here and produce.   

Not to mention.  Maybe players have seen the way X plays, the talking, the baiting, and says, na.  Given 362 options, I'll go elsewhere.   

We gotta land some fish this offseason.   Staff has said publicly they learned a lot and are better prepared for the portal.  Whatever that means.  

I have brought those points up quite a bit. You also didn't mention Cupps. 

And we did land 2 pretty big fish "in the portal/late HS recruiting season" in Ware, MM. I do think we were already out on Knecht by the time MM was heating up. 

So to answer your question, I think those two coming back was a pretty big hindrance. There are still 22-28mpg for TG on a good team, and if he goes to the bench, that's fine, but to broad stroke and say "only way we are successful is if TG is our 6th/7th man", no I am not buying that. You just need other people that can score the basketball and stretch the defense...Insert McNeeley/1 or 2 transfer guards/MM grows from FR to SO like Malik and Ware. 

10 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I think Galen's said this on CrimsonCast before, and it's always rung hollow. Having established players in the frontcourt didn't stop Sparks and Walker from coming here. The backcourt was even less proven, and with less of a pedigree. Any depth piece in the portal would have had a chance to get in the rotation, and any difference maker - like Dalton Knecht- would count on beating out Trey for minutes.

11 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

I think Galen's said this on CrimsonCast before, and it's always rung hollow. Having established players in the frontcourt didn't stop Sparks and Walker from coming here. The backcourt was even less proven, and with less of a pedigree. Any depth piece in the portal would have had a chance to get in the rotation, and any difference maker - like Dalton Knecht- would count on beating out Trey for minutes.

But... Sparks/Walker level of player isn't what we need either, in terms of fixing the guard issues. Dalton Knecht would be taking MM's mins in our starting lineup, FWIW... he is the 3 at Tennessee, as well. 

19 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I have brought those points up quite a bit. You also didn't mention Cupps. 

And we did land 2 pretty big fish "in the portal/late HS recruiting season" in Ware, MM. I do think we were already out on Knecht by the time MM was heating up. 

So to answer your question, I think those two coming back was a pretty big hindrance. There are still 22-28mpg for TG on a good team, and if he goes to the bench, that's fine, but to broad stroke and say "only way we are successful is if TG is our 6th/7th man", no I am not buying that. You just need other people that can score the basketball and stretch the defense...Insert McNeeley/1 or 2 transfer guards/MM grows from FR to SO like Malik and Ware. 

Exactly. I think Galloway can absolutely be a starter on very good team, he just needs to be surrounded by multiple scorers. X has been erratic and MM inconsistent, at best. Put Galloway on a team with Yogi and Knecht (I thought long and hard for a wing scorer from our recent past and came up with nothing) and I think he is outstanding as a starter.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

I'm not sure the frontcourt analogy applies, as I don't think Walker or Sparks thought they were going to be starters any where they wanted to transfer. But, other than that, I agree. I can't imagine a guy like Knecht was afraid of competing with Galloway. I don't know Tennessee's roster, but they must have some players in the same league as Galloway that are behind Knecht.

I think we just struck out. We went after a small number of high caliber guard/wings and we missed. Might we have been better served taking a back-up option there? Probably. But, I have to assume the staff thought any available options after those 3 or 4 misses were not better than what we already have.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Ask and you shall receive haha. 

P.S. for whoever needs to hear this.

Can we leave the Woody hot seat talk to our IU message boards instead of public forums like Twitter and Facebook?! I know for a fact guys like Liam and Queen follow Trilly and see stuff like this. You’re only making matters worse by planting seeds of doubt about the coaching situation. Also, if you don’t think opposing coaches see this and will use it as negative recruiting then you’re ignorant. 

EEF99DEF-3E77-48BB-856B-4184BB87545D.png

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

Ask and you shall receive haha. 

P.S. for whoever needs to hear this.

Can we leave the Woody hot seat talk to our IU message boards instead of public forums like Twitter and Facebook?! I know for a fact guys like Liam and Queen follow Trilly and see stuff like this. You’re only making matters worse by planting seeds of doubt about the coaching situation. Also, if you don’t think opposing coaches see this and will use it as negative recruiting then you’re ignorant. 

EEF99DEF-3E77-48BB-856B-4184BB87545D.png

its remarkable how those words are even being uttered. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

Exactly. I think Galloway can absolutely be a starter on very good team, he just needs to be surrounded by multiple scorers. X has been erratic and MM inconsistent, at best. Put Galloway on a team with Yogi and Knecht (I thought long and hard for a wing scorer from our recent past and came up with nothing) and I think he is outstanding as a starter.

My next point would be... I feel TG/XJ don't complement each other well enough. A better blend of starters 1-3, a non idiot at PG, coupled with Malik is a pretty good starting spot for next year. 

And they have two of the slowest, most non-repeatable releases in the world. 

MM was not ready to be a starter on a quality team. Malik would have looked like this had he started last season. 

Edited by btownqb

1 minute ago, HoosierDom said:

I'm not sure the frontcourt analogy applies, as I don't think Walker or Sparks thought they were going to be starters any where they wanted to transfer. But, other than that, I agree. I can't imagine a guy like Knecht was afraid of competing with Galloway. I don't know Tennessee's roster, but they must have some players in the same league as Galloway that are behind Knecht.

I think we just struck out. We went after a small number of high caliber guard/wings and we missed. Might we have been better served taking a back-up option there? Probably. But, I have to assume the staff thought any available options after those 3 or 4 misses were not better than what we already have.

I mention Sparks & Walker only to note that there are portal guys willing to join teams even when the starting spots are spoken for. Depth in the backcourt has been a talking point all season; It would have been nice to land the guard equivalent of Anthony Walker, a player who's won us some games this season. Timberlake was a player we talked about, and he's coming off the bench at Kansas, even after Arterio Morris was booted to start the season.

Even granting that Trey and Xavier had the starting spots on lock, most teams start three guards. Lance Jones commits to Purdue for his senior year, knowing Braden Smith and Fletcher Loyer were already there. Dalton Knecht plays the three at Tennessee because they only have one frontcourt player in the rotation. 

Either we went after guards in the portal and missed, or we made the frontcourt our priority in the portal season. Either way, I don't like it.